PDA

View Full Version : Jittery/skippish visuals on 6600GT. Help.

luhh
04-14-06, 07:40 PM
My system:

AMD 64 3200+ Socket 754 (newcastle)
ASUS K8N-E Deluxe (nforce 250gb, currently 5.11)
Gainward 6600GT GLH Golden Sample (tried many forceware, currently 84.43)
1 GB RAM

Problem:

In games I have what I can only describe as jittery image and skippish framerate. Games look very extremely jerky at 30 FPS, and it's like I can almost see the previous image just flicker off (CRT 100Hz) when I strafe for instance close to a wall or object, which makes this phenoma most noticable. It's not the same as the "stutter" I've been hearing about, where the game freezes and then goes back to normal. These are more like constant miniskips and several each second.

Also, my mouse input in windows was a bit jerky and skippish, but increasing USB Hz solved that issue.

In a game like CS 1.6 it's not noticable at 100 FPS, but it becomes obvious if I lower max_fps to 50 or lower.

The game I've noticed the most troubles with skittery image is recently oblivion. So I've seen it in both OpenGL games and Direct 3D.

So, at this stage, I've tried quite a few new drivers, tested different clocks, locking 2D/3D, clamp, Fastwrite, vsync, renderahead etc, but none of these has an effect. Is my particular card faulty even though it never even begins to run hot at moderate OC and very cool at clock speeds (never above 45C under load).

I've never seen any artifacts, BSODs or other indications of the card being faulty. Is the entire 6600GT chipset line bad, all gainwards 6600GT chipsets bad, all the nvidia drivers bad, or is it a compatibility issue with my motherboard? Power supply is also sufficient.

This annoys me to no end. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, have you heard or read anything regarding this (haven't really found anything myself at guru3d or here), have you had similar experiences with a 6600GT or nVidia 6x series card?

I'm stumped. :(

pseudoluddite
09-08-06, 03:11 AM
Hello,

I have had the same issue (but with a different graphics card) with three games: Doom3, World of Warcraft, and Oblivion. It appears to be a timing issue, but I'm not sure which piece of hardware is the culprit. The problem was fixed in Doom3 by adding "seta com_precisetic 0" to the autoexec.cfg file. Blizzard is currently modifying their code to remove this (it appears to be a dual core problem with them). I get the microstutters in Oblivion even when the framerate is at a stead 60 fps. I emailed their support and was told that my graphics card is unsupported... Has anyone found fixes for this (setting iFPSClamp is not a fix)?

AMD Opteron 165
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
OCX 2x1GB OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K
XFX Nvidia 7900GT

aweigh0101
09-10-06, 12:32 PM
I suggest lowering your monitor refresh rate to 85Hz, and turning on VSYNC. That should help. Obviously, you should use DXTweaker to enable D3D Triple Buffering if you're going to use VSYNC, so you don't experience FPS loss.

nirox
09-12-06, 04:35 AM
i too have the same problems.

system: XP1700
mobo : ECS KT333 AGP 4x
HDD: 2 Seagate 7200.7
512 RAM
6600 GT Gainwards Ultra PowerPack 1960

the strange problem is that with the driver from the CD i had no problem for a week, after that i start to experience some errors, like the textures are not loading in full, the writings is smudged.

with the latest drivers from nvidia no chance, the textures are bad.

i will try to uninstall the drivers with Driver Cleaner Pro, and reinstall the drivers from the CD.

hope it will be ok. i sent emails even to support at gainwards.