PDA

View Full Version : Dark Messiah : Might and Magic

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Nutty
04-14-06, 09:05 PM
New RGP coming out this summer, using enhanced Source engine.

Looks really cool;

http://www.mightandmagic.com/uk/darkmessiah/teaser/

http://www.mightandmagic.com/uk/darkmessiah/teaser/screenshots/big_img3.jpghttp://www.mightandmagic.com/uk/darkmessiah/teaser/screenshots/big_img5.jpg

http://www.mightandmagic.com/uk/darkmessiah/teaser/screenshots/big_img6.jpghttp://www.mightandmagic.com/uk/darkmessiah/teaser/screenshots/big_img4.jpg

Checkout the vids, looks way better than those tiny screenshots..

GlowStick
04-14-06, 09:48 PM
Wow dose look nice, alot of detail in the textures etc.

The melee combat system looks pritty dam cool cant wait to try it out.

Banko
04-14-06, 10:39 PM
Well the actual gameplay looks better then Oblivion. (Waits for Captnkill to post more Oblivion is the best ever posts)

Mr. Hunt
04-14-06, 11:32 PM
Graphically it looks pretty good overall... but it suffers from that "Looks like Half Life 2" syndrome every Source engine game I have seen suffers from... can't really explain it... just something about the textures and decals and the architecture...

Arioch
04-15-06, 12:16 AM
I have been looking forward to this game for a while. I do not think you can compare it to Oblivion really. This game plays out more like a fantasy FPS like the old Hexen/Heretic games than an actual RPG. Hopefully it can live up to its hype.

jolle
04-15-06, 03:09 AM
I sortof wrote this off after I saw it first time..
It felt VERY much like a Mod trying to pass for a game.

But you never know, it might be fun, Melee combat has been avoided alot in FPS games, Oblivion pulled it off pretty good tho, so maybe there is room for it hehe.
Besides, it seems like Steam is the gateway for smaller teams putting out games that havent been picked up by publishers, hence they are uncompromised visions, as they were ment to be, often cheaper then "regular games".
Maybe this is one of the "indie games" Steam is spawning hehe.

Superfly
04-15-06, 03:24 AM
looks great to me - and the melee combat puts Obvilion to shame.

I'll pick this one up.

killahsin
04-15-06, 03:44 AM
Well considering its being developed by the people who made arx fatalis which i think had the most innovative magic system ever for a rpg. I am definatly picking this one up.

Superfly
04-15-06, 03:47 AM
Well considering its being developed by the people who made arx fatalis which i think had the most innovative magic system ever for a rpg. I am definatly picking this one up.

im not fussed about any RPG elements, that combat looks simply awesome and that alone is worth the purchase for me.

Banko
04-15-06, 10:35 AM
I have been looking forward to this game for a while. I do not think you can compare it to Oblivion really. This game plays out more like a fantasy FPS like the old Hexen/Heretic games than an actual RPG. Hopefully it can live up to its hype.
And Oblivion was an actual RPG?

Superfly
04-15-06, 02:50 PM
I just pre-ordered

after watching that gameplay movie and the Gabe Newell stuff and seeing as this is being developed by Arkane Studios I have found a new love!!

Its out in June by the way.

Superfly
04-15-06, 02:55 PM
hehe, you can decapitate if you so choose - nice.

also did you see that ice on the bridge trick to make the Orc fall off?? - how fookin cool was that!!

also the hand on fire when casting magic looks awesome.

repoman0
04-15-06, 03:33 PM
I agree! The hand on fire thing looks awesome.

Why would you preorder though, isn't it available for download through steam :confused: in June of course

Superfly
04-15-06, 03:38 PM
I agree! The hand on fire thing looks awesome.

Why would you preorder though, isn't it available for download through steam :confused: in June of course

im a boxed game kinda guy myself, I have siN episode One pre-loaded and ready to go on steam though!!! :D

I also love the fact you can impale your enemy and then kick the dead body off your blade with your boot!!!

Its also nice to see lashing of gore and blood (when I hit something with a sword I expect to see the red stuff!!)

that is so cool.

d

zafarsaand
04-15-06, 03:56 PM
check out following link for 10 minutes of direct feed video footage.......there is also a video interview
http://www.1up.com/do/download?cId=3142946

Superfly
04-15-06, 04:57 PM
check out following link for 10 minutes of direct feed video footage.......there is also a video interview
http://www.1up.com/do/download?cId=3142946

that was pretty awesome - shame about the movie clip quality though.

Infinity666
04-15-06, 09:32 PM
Graphically it looks pretty good overall... but it suffers from that "Looks like Half Life 2" syndrome every Source engine game I have seen suffers from... can't really explain it... just something about the textures and decals and the architecture...

Its the textures everything has that sort of gritty rough look to it. Imo it looks better than the sort of shiny plasticy look that doom engine games have

superklye
04-15-06, 11:03 PM
Agreed...but I don't necessarily mind it.

It's just like how every Doom3/Quake4 engine game looks pretty much exactly like Doom3 and Quake4.

Mr. Hunt
04-16-06, 12:04 AM

It's just like how every Doom3/Quake4 engine game looks pretty much exactly like Doom3 and Quake4.

Yeah... sometimes I don't mind it... but sometimes it is REALLY annoying... like SiN Episodes looks like it is basically Half Life 2... I mean... I am pretty sure 99% of those textures were used in HL2.

Superfly
04-16-06, 03:05 AM
Yeah... sometimes I don't mind it... but sometimes it is REALLY annoying... like SiN Episodes looks like it is basically Half Life 2... I mean... I am pretty sure 99% of those textures were used in HL2.

they finished replacing all the HL2 place holder textures several months ago.

Superfly
04-16-06, 03:13 AM

TBH all games that share an engine also share a certain "look", regardless of what art assets are used.

Have you guys watched the movies?? - and are you aware of the developers heritage? watch the Gabe Newell and the gameplay movie's. :)

|MaguS|
04-16-06, 06:22 AM
TBH all games that share an engine also share a certain "look", regardless of what art assets are used.

Thats not true at all, Look at Heavy Metal, Call of Duty and Soldier of Fortune 2. None of those remotly look like Quake 3, its just how much work does the development team want to do to modify the engine to there needs, some just feep it basic while other rewrite alot of the engines.

As for this game, It looks awsome. I wont say it reminds me of HL since its midevil and all but the gameplay looks to be great. An action game with Midevil setting, just great combo.

Oh and don't compare this game to Oblivion, two different gameplay styles.

Superfly
04-16-06, 07:43 AM
yeh you cant compare the RPG elements I agree, I think seeing as both games offer first peson melee combat its fair to compare both implimentations though.

can you imagine Oblivion with this games combat system?? - wow.

|MaguS|
04-16-06, 12:04 PM
Oooh just noticed that there is a Profile for the game in the recent drivers.... guess Nvidia is ready for the release then! :D

Gabrobot
04-16-06, 01:02 PM

Only if you're doing a shiny metal environment (although the final version of Prey will probably look different because of the shaders they've been working on). Quake Wars doesn't look like Doom 3 or Quake 4.

Can't wait for Dark Messiah...there is a distinct lack of recent action fantasy games. :)