PDA

View Full Version : Out of this World (very old classic adventure game)

Pages : [1] 2

LiquidX
04-15-06, 01:15 PM
Does anyone remember this game? It came out a long time ago so many of you might not know about it. Well for those of you that do, the guy that made it is re-releasing it. No major changes not even to the graphics so this will be a purchase based on nostalgia. I think this game is a classic and a masterpiece even though the graphics now look stone age.

Here is some info for those that have never heard or played this masterpiece.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_World_(video_game)

I got this from another forum so I hope the big boys will soon have some news on it.
Sorry for the late.

Chahi will release a PC version of Another World the 04/14/06, supporting high resolutions (up to 1280*800) and featuring enhanced backgrounds. None of the scripts has been touched, so it's basically reedition more than a remake. You will also be able to play the game in "amiga mode" (420*200 + original backgrounds). The game will come as well as a "memorial" website about Another World (now only in french, but translations will come quickly).

The interview is here (http://www.factornews.com/news-16759-Reedition_d_Another_World_l_Eric_Chahi_n.html), only in french for the moment. He talks about this reedition, about what he did since '98 and a little bit about his future: he's to develop a new games guys !

Here are two comparative images of the enhanced version.

Before (http://pix.nofrag.com/32/d7/869a24be97c8a59802c81d3a88b3.gif) and after (http://pix.nofrag.com/7a/5c/f50e106050cbf4ffe258826bb4c1.jpg).

jolle
04-15-06, 01:22 PM
Yeah I had it on Amiga, I remeber it as Another world.
It was strange and pretty hard, and different cutscenes depending on where you died, which got pretty old pretty fast as I died alot.
As with the sequel I cant recall getting very far in it.

If they made the remake in Vector it would scale to any resolution, I mean it LOOKS pretty vector as it is.

Zelda_fan
04-15-06, 01:25 PM
would be sweet if they released it for gameboy or DS.

CaptNKILL
04-15-06, 01:37 PM
I played it and it seemed like itd be cool but it was way too frustrating IMO.

It was similar to Flashback (amazing game) except there were no indicators as to what was going on (ammo, health, or anything else) so it seemed like I was just blindly running around dieing. And when you died you had to start the entire level over...

If they add a save feature, I'll probably try this out. Otherwise, meh.

jolle
04-15-06, 03:09 PM
Flashback, wasnt that the sequel? unofficially if not officially.
Both are developed by Delphine atleast.

CaptNKILL
04-15-06, 03:17 PM
Im not sure. It might be. It had a very similar art style, and similar cinematics.

Flashback is an amazing game though. The atmosphere and the puzzles are just awesome. It even has non violent missions, like getting a delivery job to make enough credits to get a train ticket... what a freaking awesome game.

Its much better on an emulator though. So you can save it before really tough spots. I dont care what anyone says, theres nothing "fun" about doing entire 15 minute sections of a level more than once because you keep dieing. Emulators + quicksaving makes old games like this MUCH better.

Heh, that said, this still didnt make Out of This World any easier to me... I've played that game many times and I still have no idea how many shots the guns hold, or how much ammo the "shields" use. You just run out at the worst possible time, and can no longer defend youself. The game is all 1 hit kills\deaths too :o

ynnek
04-15-06, 03:25 PM
OMG!!!!! I LOVED THIS GAME!!!!!!!!

Wabbooish, wabooish, wacheenga wachenga...* BARGG* WAAHGLOOORRIISSH!!!!

Or whatever those aliens said..

I would love to play this game again.. and spend money on it. I'm going to check it out now!

jolle
04-15-06, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I got very sketchy memory of both, but as I can remember they were HARD.. really hard.. I recall dying tons of time trying to figure out how the gun even worked in Another world, or making a tiny error and getting stung by something scorpion like hehe..

Flashback had a sequel tho, Fade to Black.. dont think I ever played it..

ynnek
04-15-06, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I got very sketchy memory of both, but as I can remember they were HARD.. really hard.. I recall dying tons of time trying to figure out how the gun even worked in Another world, or making a tiny error and getting stung by something scorpion like hehe..

Flashback had a sequel tho, Fade to Black.. dont think I ever played it..

Oh wow... I don't remember Flashback, but I do remember Fade to Black!! Lol that was another fun game..

Edge
04-15-06, 03:38 PM
Interesting. This game was pretty unique, and still has one of the best atmospheres I've ever seen in a 2d game. This upgrade of it really looks quite cool, it retains everything from the original game while still giving it a bit of an enhancement. I'm definately giving this a look, you can get the shareware version from here (http://www.anotherworld.fr/anotherworld_uk/index.htm), and a key to unlock the full version can be purchased here (http://www.magic-productions.fr/aw/index.php?lang=uk) (for 7 euros, not sure how people outside of Europe will be able to purchase the game)

Also, to clear up confusion, the game was known as Out of This World in the US, and Another World everywhere else.

would be sweet if they released it for gameboy or DS.
They got half way there: it was never made available in retail stores, but you can download the GBA ROM for it from here for free (http://www.foxysofts.com/index.php?l=content/gba/anworld.inc)

Not quite, I'm pretty sure it was just a different game based on the same gameplay/engine. I think it might've been labeled as a sequel for marketing reasons, but the two games really bare nothing in common from a storyline perspective.

The only real sequel was Heart of the Alien, which I believe was only availble on the Sega CD (but you also got an enhanced version of the original game included on the disc as well). Actually, while it was developed and published by Delphine, Chahi had nothing to do with it's development and he doesn't consider it part of the official storyline. Sadly, the planned Saturn port with upgraded visuals never surfaced.

ynnek
04-15-06, 04:21 PM
I just downloaded it, and yea, it is pretty faithful to the original!

Later today I'll probably order it.. The last international order I've done with VISA, they just converted over to dollars automatically.. I think the euro is a little more than the dollar, so I'd expcet it to be around $10.

Nutty
04-15-06, 05:29 PM
Flashback was awesome.. IIRC both games used rotoscoping for the animations of the characters.

npras42
04-15-06, 06:02 PM
Hey I have this game on my Nokia 6680 mobile phone. I used to own it on the Amiga too... quality game, as was Flashback.

SH64
04-15-06, 07:19 PM
Yeah i remember this superb game .. played it on PC. i thought it was called "Another World" ..

walkndude
04-15-06, 09:15 PM
The title of this thread makes me feel "very old".

Great game, Flashback and Blackthorn should be mentioned as well if you dig on this type of stuff. All these games are available on abonware sites.

http://abandoneer.com/games.php?gameid=40

hordaktheman
04-15-06, 11:58 PM
I'm usually the last person to say "they don't make them like they used to", but damn... they don't make them like they used to. Another World is probably the last game I remember that had such a minimalistic approach but such incredible character.

*sniff*

CaptNKILL
04-16-06, 01:28 AM
Ah, Blackthorn was another good one like this, though it had much more action and less adventure.

EDIT: Dammit, is there some way I can buy this? I just played the demo and its much better than I remember, and at 7 euros, its very affordable. I have the Genesis ROM of this but Id gladly pay that much to get this version.

I dont think my debit card would work with euros though... anyone know of some way around this?

LiquidX
04-16-06, 02:15 AM
I just tried the demo and it was great. It brought back great memories. Its very old but I still like the look. They really dont make them like this anymore. I was surprised how great it ran with such ease for a old game.

Ah, Blackthorn was another good one like this, though it had much more action and less adventure.

EDIT: Dammit, is there some way I can buy this? I just played the demo and its much better than I remember, and at 7 euros, its very affordable. I have the Genesis ROM of this but Id gladly pay that much to get this version.

I dont think my debit card would work with euros though... anyone know of some way around this?

Trying to figure out how to buy it also. If anyone does please let us know.

CaptNKILL
04-16-06, 02:32 AM
I just did a currency conversion... it comes out to $8.50 USD. Someone please figure this out. Thats so cheap! :o

EDIT: I just emailed them. Hopefully they can help.

Seoulstriker
04-16-06, 07:17 AM
OMG!!!!! I LOVED THIS GAME!!!!!!!!

Wabbooish, wabooish, wacheenga wachenga...* BARGG* WAAHGLOOORRIISSH!!!!

Or whatever those aliens said..

I would love to play this game again.. and spend money on it. I'm going to check it out now!

YOU PRETTY MUCH NAILED IT!!!! :D :D :D

Greg
04-16-06, 07:56 AM
I enjoyed that game, loved the shield and gun thing. Fade To Black, by the same company, but apparently not a sequel, was also a great game, though hardly beyond a standard platformer.

Edge
04-16-06, 10:23 AM
I tried the demo, and I must say I'm impressed. The new backgrounds really do look nice, I could tell right away that they got a big upgrade but they still managed to look exactly the same as the old ones. The polygons used for the characters might be more bland looking in high resolution, but they still do a nice job of representing the characters.

The one thing I'm somewhat disappointed in was the music. It seems to be using the same MIDIs as the original DOS release with a few new sound effects, when I'm used to the Sega CD version's excellent remastered soundtrack (which also seems to have more music as well).

CaptNKILL
04-16-06, 12:37 PM
Woohoo! I got a response already:

Hi,

You can use your master card to buy in Euros, there's no problem about
that ;-)

Regards,
Nicolas

:D

I'll be buying this later.

EDIT: Duh, that was easy. Put my info in and got the key in my email already :p

Remember to use your real name for "name". After that screen is the credit card info, then the order is complete, so that must be the name it uses on the order.

EDIT2: Actually, I dont know how it uses the name and firstname fields. Oh well. The game works, Im not going to worry about it :p

Sectus
04-16-06, 03:52 PM
Pretty interesting. Nice to see that the developer actually made something good after he shutdown a fan project to remake Another World.

It's weird playing the game again. I haven't played it in many years, and I can remember I never made it past the beast who runs after you :p

The style and atmosphere of the game is really great. This kind of minimalistic style is something I'd like to see more of. The only new games I can think of which has a similar style are ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. Many older games got a rather minimalistic feel as a side-effect because of the fact it was occasionally difficult to include full music, cutscenes and stuff like that. Unfortunately most games today try to mimic the feel of Hollywood movies.

I'm disappointed by the gameplay of Another World though. If you take away all the style and fancy presentation, you're left with a very linear and dull action game. I think Flashback was far superior to Another World, I have extremely fond memories of that one. Although Flashback was made by a completely different team, so I doubt we'll see a remake of that one :(

S.I.N
04-16-06, 06:07 PM
I remember when I played this and Flashback I thought they had the best graphics in the world. These things back then looked like what Doom3 and Oblivion looks like to us now. BTW they both rocked and they were hard as nails.