PDA

View Full Version : Big problem, owner of a 7900GTX

Yasir
04-15-06, 06:34 PM
Hi guys, I recently got my new computer and I was so happy been waiting for almost 4 years :D, its a X2 4400 and 2 gig of ram + XFX 7900GTX @ 690mhz, and One raptor @ 10000k rpm, and one samsung @ 7200rpm. Windows installed on the raptor.

So this is the deal.. Ive been reading allot of the random freezing issues, and I got some lockups when I used to install games, but I tried in safemode and it worked great so I didnt want to blame the card, maybe it was the antivirus or something..

I play Warcraft 3 and heres the real problem, after some random hours the game starts to FREEZE lagg, and if I make a little move with the mouse it goes to the end of the map or the top of the map etc. And when i watch the replays where you have a maximum of 8x time speed, it likes goes up to 20x speed.. like speed jumping 20seconds or something really crazy.. I tried allot of things like turning of vsync etc allot of different options etc. As far as I can see ive tested everything, newest drivers for like everything.. Im @ forceware 84.21..

Please guys help me solve this I dont really know whats the problem.. Ive reformated already once and Ive tested Bf2, Condemned and I havent endured any freeze/lockup issues there so far..
Might it be that the graphics card is too fast for the game? Idle temps are like 40-44 I think and full load is like 61-63. PLZ HELP! :/

EDIT: I also have a tagan 580W psu, so I dont think its that

keith33
04-15-06, 07:07 PM
You should have read our massive sticky thread regarding 7900 GTX Random Freezing at the top of this forum. You didn't even need to read the entire thread, simply the last page. This is a known problem with 7900s that are clocked beyond Nvidia spec, the XFX version @ 690 mhz being one of them. Use Coolbits, downclock the card to NV spec (650/1600) and see if the freezing goes away. If so, contact XFX and issue an RMA. There is no remedy to this problem, the cards simply cannot go that fast. This only occurs with certain games that are more intensive than others, BF2 is known to not have that problem. You didn't tell us what motherboard you had, but turn the SB to NB frequency to 1000mhz, turn PEG link mode off etc. etc. (reference thread)

Yasir
04-15-06, 07:39 PM
wow thanks keith! :)
Ive read allot on that thread but I get so confused ^^
I have a Lanfan NF4 SLI-DR,
Where do I change these things? are they in bios?

EDIT: ok, just tested speeds at 650/800 aka 1600
and the issue didnt go away? This issue always goes away if i restart the computer, but I tested those speeds and It was still there. Hm..

EDIT2: Btw, my card was from the first batch, Bought it 9th march.

EDIT3: strange I go in to coolbits again, and its telling me my gfx standard speeds are 630/800 lol.. :p

keith33
04-15-06, 08:14 PM
Hmmmn, if it goes away at a restart, perhaps its a heat issue? Have you tried taking off the side-panel and maybe blowing a fan at the card to see if the issue goes away? Do you live in a hot climate?

Also, there's a brand new Forceware out (I think it's 84.43) which you may want to consider trying.

I don't have the DFI board but I'm sure somebody on this forum does. Give it maybe a day, someone should post the settings necessary.

A lot of the first batch cards were locking up, mine did the same thing, the week three version I recieved from eVGA solved the problem, which is why the first thing I recommended was to call XFX. Good luck, I'll post anything if I have an idea.

Yasir
04-15-06, 08:29 PM
Im gonna test the the driver you mentioned, but I dont really think its the temperature, I mean its at maximum 51 or something when I play wc3, and during full load under games even games like WoW theres no problem. Im up in like 61-63C during full load I think.

keith33
04-15-06, 10:21 PM
Run 3Dmark06 10 times in a loop, make sure the scores are within 10 points of each other each time, if not, there's a stability issue. If the scores are virtually identical, perhaps its just a WC3 issue.

Yasir
04-15-06, 11:20 PM
its not a wc3 problem i can promise u that ^^
hm running 3dmark 06 in a loop, ive used it once, it doesnt require the full version right?;/

Yasir
04-16-06, 10:37 AM
Seems.. the problem is still there with the 84.43 driver, I left the computer turned on for like 8 hours but it was mostly idle, downloading stuff.. and I came home now and turned the game on and it was that same freezing in replays, and in the game too.

keith33
04-16-06, 10:41 AM
RMA the card.

Yasir
04-16-06, 12:38 PM
yeah, Ill call them tomorrow, its sunday today.. Ill test some stuff, like increasing the PCI frequency to 105 etc..

EDIT: Ok i tested with the pci frequency @ 105 and still experienced this issue, i played some bf2 without any problems then i started the game and was going to watch a replay and got that freezes etc. Seems like ive read in forums when you push your card a bit it starts to freeze in the applications where it has the possibility to do this.

Fathertime36
04-16-06, 08:03 PM
It is the game and the netcode, i have the same problems from time to time, especailly on weekends

Yasir
04-16-06, 09:17 PM
OK guys, I think ive fixed it.. ^^
Dont think its the graphics card, There is problems with amd x2 processors and SP2 and without the hotfix and the amd driver, you get these speedups/freezes. So every1 who is experiencing this and has a amd x2 or opteron dual core processor should test downloading the amd driver + the hotfix and see if there is any difference.

FluxCap
04-19-06, 02:18 PM
OK guys, I think ive fixed it.. ^^
Dont think its the graphics card, There is problems with amd x2 processors and SP2 and without the hotfix and the amd driver, you get these speedups/freezes. So every1 who is experiencing this and has a amd x2 or opteron dual core processor should test downloading the amd driver + the hotfix and see if there is any difference.
Got the link to this fix? I will be getting my new system next week and I wouldn't want to start off with issues. Thanks

Peacemaker
04-19-06, 02:25 PM
here is everythink you need :)

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=983781&highlight=dual+core+fix

greetings,

Peacemaker.

FluxCap
04-20-06, 07:50 AM
here is everythink you need :)

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=983781&highlight=dual+core+fix

greetings,

Peacemaker.