PDA

View Full Version : Back to "old faithful" 78.05 again

MattC
04-17-06, 08:32 AM
It's looking more and more like 78.05 will be the driverset I'm stick with for life (at least the life of this card).

Decided I wanted to play HL: Blue Shift tonight, and hit the windows key mid game to do something on the desktop.

System rebooted.

Went back and tried again, after switching between desktop/game a few times, it rebooted again.

I had seen this behaviour before with DOSBox using OpenGL, where switching between windowed and full screen would inevitably bring on a system reboot.

I figured it was DOSBox specific, but it's actually Forceware 80 series specific. With all versions I tried (81.89, 84.21, 84.43) I could get the system to reset merely by changing full screen/window or desktop enough times, with both DOSBox and HL1 based OpenGL games.

Tried 78.05, and problem went away. Which is about right because it's what I was using before I got my 6600 GT when I never experienced this problem.

This is a pretty major bug for the system to just reboot manually during OpenGL mode changes, and from the fact it's been present all throughout 80 series goes to show NVIDIA either are not aware of it or have no fix. Incidently it's never happened in Doom 3 or Quake 4 to my memory, but those don't allow alt-tabbing anyway. I don't think it happens on OpenGL startup or exit, only when you try to go back to desktop with it still running.

So my driver choices and their bugs are:

1. Application profiles bug
2. Quake 4 r_useSMP=1 makes everything dark

1. Application profiles bug
2. OpenGL reboot problem
3. Have to right click NVIDIA tray icon twice after connecting TV to access nView display modes
4. Quake 3 config bug
5. Dawn Ultra runs very slow

84.21+
1. OpenGL reboot problem
2. Have to right click NVIDIA tray icon twice after connecting TV to access nView display modes
3. Quake 3 config bug
4. Source water rendering bug

Some of these are "nuisance" bugs (application profiles, Quake 3) some I consider serious (Source water, OpenGL reboot).

So clearly the winner for me is still my old favourite, 78.05

I really hope NVIDIA can get their act together, but their track record lately on fixing bugs isn't very good. If they do ever get around to it, they've always added other bugs by the time the old ones are fixed, so you're behind either way. And how frustrating that you can be plagued with these bugs but have no way to report them to the only people who can fix them!

fps_dean
04-17-06, 12:01 PM
Hmm Doom 3 AA settings worked for me in 77.77. I'd suggest perhaps trying 77.77?

I've had better luck with 77.77 than anything else so far...

sharangad
04-17-06, 01:28 PM
Hmm Doom 3 AA settings worked for me in 77.77. I'd suggest perhaps trying 77.77?

I've had better luck with 77.77 than anything else so far...

77.77 is a magic driver as this is was the last driver to support component output on the 6600 GT. nVidia decided to implement CSS on DVDs so that you canna playback at 1080i or 720p with upscaling via component. For component to work you either need a BIOS update from yer manufacturer or 77.77. There're a few later beta drivers with component output support, however there're no underscan settings available for 480i, 480p, 576i and 576p. Once again, the last driver to support this feature on the 6600 GT was 77.77. Before most you wonder why anyone would need such low resolutions, the colour reproduction and sharpness is much better via component, even at these resolutions for TV based gaming.

On another note 77.77 had some WMV HD acceleration though with audio sync issues.

fps_dean
04-17-06, 01:35 PM
^^ That's not my problem - I have 7800gtxs, but for whatever reason 77.77 other than F.E.A.R. was just as fast as anything newer and seems (maybe it's in my head) to be a tad faster and maybe more stable. Definitely faster than 77.76!

SLippe
04-17-06, 01:55 PM
Ahhh, the good ol' 7x.xx days. Will the 77.77 set run on a 7900 GT? Not that I want to use them or anything, but just curious. I've found that the 81.98 set was the fastest, for me anyways. *shrugs*

fps_dean
04-17-06, 03:07 PM
I think 7900 support was added around 84.20 or so, but the gpus are similiar enough that it MIGHT run on a 7900, no idea though!

I think I solved my BSoD problem. Did not install NAM or Nvidias IDE drivers and so far it's working perfectly!!!!!

SLippe
04-17-06, 05:28 PM
I think 7900 support was added around 84.20 or so, but the gpus are similiar enough that it MIGHT run on a 7900, no idea though!

I think I solved my BSoD problem. Did not install NAM or Nvidias IDE drivers and so far it's working perfectly!!!!!
Yeah, I know NAM has created problems in the past for some people. The IDE drivers have for a few, me not included. I've always used the SW IDE driver(s).

fps_dean
04-17-06, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I know NAM has created problems in the past for some people. The IDE drivers have for a few, me not included. I've always used the SW IDE driver(s).
Wasn't it. It appears to be when I have sound drivers installed that creates an irq conflict with a video card somehow...

MattC
04-17-06, 09:17 PM
78.05 claimed to fix something in Day of Defeat: Source, which I play all the time, so I think I'd better stick with it.

God damn, that rebooting bug is really the topper of all bugs, and for NVIDIA not to notice it or fix it - amazing! Probably happened when they tried adding dual core support into the drivers, probably screwed up all kinds of things.

Salamandar
04-17-06, 10:42 PM
ya the 7x.xx driver sets are much better than any thing the 8x.xx have to offer.

I'm going to try the 78.05 later tonight and see how oblivion and americas Army would perform with those old mature driver set.

MattC
04-18-06, 03:01 AM
Actually the Doom 3 engine in game AA works fine, just the r_useSMP screws it up until reboot. Most likely the r_useSMP is not the driver's fault anyway, but the engine doing something to the drivers to workaround the 80 series own dual core optimisations.

So 78.05 is really just about the perfect set... I hope the delay in Doom 3 patch 1.2 is that they are fixing r_useSMP for 70 series drivers. That would be nice!

MattC
04-18-06, 08:27 AM
Wow, yet more bugs found to be fixed by going back. Glitches I was getting in preview window from my capture card with 80 series are gone, and Step into Liquid 1080 plays back 100% with no dropped frames.

Forceware 80 are an unmitigated disaster!

Salamandar
04-18-06, 11:06 AM
could someone try these with oblivion please !

MattC
04-18-06, 10:40 PM
I would think haveing a 7x00 series you are stuck with Forceware 80, are you not? 6x00 were already mature cards when 78.05 were released.

Salamandar
04-19-06, 02:06 AM
77.xx supported 7800 based cards.

fps_dean
04-20-06, 01:43 AM
78.05 claimed to fix something in Day of Defeat: Source, which I play all the time, so I think I'd better stick with it.

I didn't have a problem in DoD:S. I play it too but due to limited gaming time at the moment, each game I play gets only a couple hours of playtime a week.

fps_dean
04-20-06, 01:48 AM
Actually the Doom 3 engine in game AA works fine
The flashlight wouldn't work for me in Doom 3 with 84.21 drivers for some reason. Wierd... almost as wierd as a dancing banana.
:nana: (nana2) :nana: (nana2) :nana: (nana2) :nana:

MattC
04-20-06, 05:32 AM
Not weird at all. Forceware 80 is a messed up disaster of a driver. I doubt it'll be fixed in 85 either, you'll probably have to wait until 90 minimum before we get back anything like the stability of 75 series.

particleman
04-20-06, 07:41 PM
I'm still using 78.05 too, I tried the first couple of 8X.XX sets and then just stopped bothering updating everytime they released a new 8X.XX driver, I find that 78.05 produces the best image quality and fewest issues. The constant testing of 8X.XX drivers only to roll back was just too much of a hassle for me so I settled on 78.05 a while ago.

JMerrick
04-23-06, 07:12 AM
I was getting random reboots also alt-tabbing out of CS 1.6 (I still play it, hehe). Now I know why!

I've gone back to 77.77 and the problem is gone. (nana2)