PDA

View Full Version : EVGA 790GTX EGS, the best way to...

jcniest5
04-17-06, 09:19 AM
Take off the heatsink. I should receive mine today from a Step Up from EVGA, I'm thinking of taking off the heatsink to apply AS5, what's the best way to do it? On my previous 7800GT, I tried (unsuccessfully) taking it off by removing the five screws (or however many they are) but the heatsink wouldn't come off. I didn't want to apply too much pressure so I put the screws back on w/o going any further, afraid I might damage the card. Is it any different on the 7900GTX comparing to the 7800GT?

jcniest5
04-17-06, 10:00 AM
Hey, just got mine about twenty minutes ago. I was able to take off the heatsink/fan without any problem. I was surprise to find out that there is no shim on the GPU. From my past experience, they always put a shim on the GPU. From looking under the heatsink, I could see a sticky pattern, but just on two sides (not completely square). Could the shim have been taken off? Could this be an RMA, but they just fixed the problem and reseller it? What could this be?

keith33
04-17-06, 12:40 PM
There's a few people on eVGA forums that claim there's didn't come with a shim either. I'm too lazy to dismount mine just to check, but seriously, if it works, why fix it? Perhaps its the new way to mount them. If you send a PM to jakUp (who works at eVGA), I'm sure he can confirm with you whether the cards are supposed to come with a shim or not.

jcniest5
04-17-06, 12:48 PM
Yeap, I posted at EVGA's forum regarding this NO SHIM issue, too. And yeap, maybe that's the new way now. Keith, you don't have to unmount your heatsink to see if the shim is there or not. Just take out your card, and from the bottom of the card, look closely in between the heatsink and the GPU/card, you should be able to tell if it's there or not. You will actually see the GPU if the shim isn't there, or you will just see the SHIM if it's there.