PDA

View Full Version : FSAA and HDR at same time with 7900GT

orphenshadow
04-17-06, 10:45 PM
Everywhere i have read says that its not possible with the geforce cards, however i have absolutly no problem running both turned on in HL2/CSS

whats the deal?

GuOD
04-17-06, 10:50 PM
I think you can turn HDR on but it doesn't work...

that's how it was with farcry at least

OWA
04-17-06, 11:24 PM
It depends on the method they use. If they use a method (integer?) like Valve used in HL2/CSS, then yeah, it'll work. If they use the method (floating point?) that Far Cry used, it won't work.

I put question marks b/c I always forget the details but it's something like that.

SLippe
04-17-06, 11:45 PM
So to use HDR in Far Cry do I need to disable AA in the NVCpl and In Game?

|MaguS|
04-17-06, 11:50 PM
Yes

SLippe
04-17-06, 11:50 PM
Thank you.

The Bigman
04-17-06, 11:58 PM
Why would you have to disable it in cpl if in game, its diabled?

That don't make sence or does the cpl force aa on games even when in game its disabled?

That could explain why Farcry looks like crap sometimes when playing it.

SLippe
04-18-06, 12:08 AM
I don't know. I have my NVCpl set to 4xAA/16xAF/HQ IQ/VS On/GAA On/TAA SS/TB On/Neg LOD Clamp all the time, no matter what I'm playing. I think you are right though, it you have it disabled in the game, it shouldn't be on then, right? *shrugs*

orphenshadow
04-18-06, 12:23 AM
It depends on the method they use. If they use a method (integer?) like Valve used in HL2/CSS, then yeah, it'll work. If they use the method (floating point?) that Far Cry used, it won't work.

I put question marks b/c I always forget the details but it's something like that.

Thanks this explains alot, a clanmate is trying to convince me that the x1900xt is a better card, and that its worth the extra 200 dollars, i dont see that as enough justification...

So essentially the games that use HDR floating point have issues, all the rest dont. which makes sense, is this something Nvidia can fix in a driver release, it seems logical to me that it would be fixable.

OWA
04-18-06, 12:42 AM
No, unfortunately it's a hardware limitation so it can't be "fixed" by an updated driver.

Edit: Here is a thread that kind of discusses some of this:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63924&highlight=HDR