PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal with console controls?

t6_shadow
04-18-06, 12:56 AM
I find this odd since I have gotten my 360 I have noticed a few games that only give me certain "control scheme selections" aka I can change the controls but only to certain pre set options. Also in ghost recon there is no southpaw options (which is not a problem for me but is for many others) and I can not adjust my sensitivity. I was wondering if there is any logical reason for this? Like why can't I have my A button as fire weapon if I so desire?

|MaguS|
04-18-06, 02:00 AM
It's up to the developer not consoles. There are plenty of games that let you fully customize the controller layout and sensitivity.

t6_shadow
04-18-06, 02:10 AM
It's up to the developer not consoles. There are plenty of games that let you fully customize the controller layout and sensitivity.

Oh I know I am just wondering why the developers won't let you choose your own? :confused:

|MaguS|
04-18-06, 02:22 AM
Oh I know I am just wondering why the developers won't let you choose your own? :confused:

Don't know, thats a problem in the console world. It's not like its more difficult to add or time consuming.

Bad_Boy
04-18-06, 03:42 PM
mouse + keyboard support ftw!

toxikneedle
04-18-06, 04:05 PM
There might be gameplay issues involved, but usually it's very easy to get used to the controls since a lot of them use a common scheme, just like most PC games use the WASD scheme. It has never bothered me but I have noticed that the controls a lot of times aren't cusomizable.

npras42
04-19-06, 05:06 PM
It really annoys me that in PGR3 it does not let me reduce the super-sized deadspaces on the triggers. It really really bugs me when I'm trying to put on just a little power round a hairpin or something and it turns out i'm not doing anything. Used to it now, but still...

ralinn
04-19-06, 05:20 PM
It's normally for gameplay reasons, to fit tutorials (or make them easier to follow) or to stop the user from having to exit a game because they forgot which button they bound an action to. That or the developer just feels that it should kept as simple as possible.

As always, console games = pick up and play.

Sucks yes, but that's another difference between console and PC games I guess. :)

Nutty
04-19-06, 06:00 PM
Don't know, thats a problem in the console world. It's not like its more difficult to add or time consuming.

So adding something extra doesn't take more time than not doing it ?
Thats some wacky logic you got there.

Apart from the fact fully customisable controls does take more time (not alot, but it does) to implement than a selection of pre-configs, I'm not really sure why. I guess as ralinn said, it just makes it more simpler really.

ENU291
04-19-06, 09:05 PM

QFT!!! :thumbsup:

evilchris
04-19-06, 11:12 PM

Oh yeah, then maybe scanner support, printer support, SLI, oh wait it's not a PC.

Q
04-19-06, 11:30 PM
Oh yeah, then maybe scanner support, printer support, SLI, oh wait it's not a PC.

BLASPHEMY!!!!

CaptNKILL
04-19-06, 11:44 PM
LOLZZZ EYE USE MY SCANNAR FOR A CONTROLLAR!!!!!111111one

:D

Bad_Boy
04-20-06, 12:19 AM
Actually...I think the PS2 has printer support in GT4/TT. :D
MOUSE AND KEYBOARD FTW!

|MaguS|
04-20-06, 06:49 AM
So adding something extra doesn't take more time than not doing it ?
Thats some wacky logic you got there.

Apart from the fact fully customisable controls does take more time (not alot, but it does) to implement than a selection of pre-configs, I'm not really sure why. I guess as ralinn said, it just makes it more simpler really.

It's not a difficult task at all to add customizable controls, not at all. It's not like it would take days or even a week to add the functions.

As for being for tutorial reasons, thats not the case either since I have played many games that change the hinted button in the tutorial to the one you choose. It's not hard aswell to make such a function...

Developers are just rushed and don't care for such little things, they need to add more gameplay and make a stable game in under a year majority of the time.

ENU291
04-20-06, 07:26 AM
Funny how the 360 has text chat and text message support but no keyboard option. Since the 360 has USB ports how hard can it possibly be for a third party vendor to get a keyboard out on the market for it?

|MaguS|
04-20-06, 07:42 AM
A 3rd Party Keyboard isn't needed, just a developer who wants to add the support. Heck MS should add the support by default considering that the X360 shares alot of Windows Aspects.

The PS2 can use ANY USB Keyboard as long as the game supports it.

t6_shadow
04-23-06, 04:46 PM
A 3rd Party Keyboard isn't needed, just a developer who wants to add the support. Heck MS should add the support by default considering that the X360 shares alot of Windows Aspects.

The PS2 can use ANY USB Keyboard as long as the game supports it.

Yeah apperently MS likes to tick off their user base tho. Its hard to have a conversation about keyboard and mouse on consoles tho cause all the console nubbies get grumpy and don't like to listen to logic. I know this however if ps3 comes standard with mouse and keyboard support for fps rpg and RTS titles at launch I will sell my 360 in a heart beat to have one.

GamerGuyX
04-23-06, 05:11 PM
Yeah apperently MS likes to tick off their user base tho.

Yes that's Microsoft's intention. :rolleyes:

Speaking of people that don't like to listen to logic... ;)

t6_shadow
04-23-06, 05:48 PM
LOL it was a 50/50 change on who to reply to my post either evilchris or gamerguyx good thing I have both on my ignore list. Please let the logical disscussion continue. :)

GamerGuyX
04-23-06, 06:28 PM
LOL it was a 50/50 change on who to reply to my post either evilchris or gamerguyx good thing I have both on my ignore list. Please let the logical disscussion continue. :)

The only thing illogical is your fanboy-ridden arguement. :)

Funny how the 360 has text chat and text message support but no keyboard option.

What are you talking about? You can use any USB keyboard (even wireless USB) with the 360 for text support and text messages. It just can't be used for games.