PDA

View Full Version : 8bit color on startup?

Gator
01-29-03, 06:00 AM
Hi all,

for some reason in the past week or so, everytime Windows starts it's in 8-bit color mode. So I go to display properties, set back to 32bit color, and all is well. I always shut down properly, but sure enough if I reboot or power down, Windows will start again in 8-bit? Any idea why? I havent installed or change anything except when Det 42.70 came out. Do they have a known bug?

Gator

duralisis
01-29-03, 07:40 PM
It might just be a buggy driver version you're using that's not writing the correct reg entries, but since you mention shutting down, it brought to mind a similar experience I had with a corrupt "system hive"

Well here's the jist of it: on certain configurations and combinations of hardware, XP may shut down "too" quickly and not close out the system registry changes as it's in the shutdown process. This can lead to one particular problem with a corrupt system section of the registry (the core part known as the hive), or can result from corrupted data written by an errant progam (GPF, blue screen, crash, etc). Also high memory timings have been known to contribute to it.

So in short I found that by lowering my memory timings from an aggressive 5-5-2 in my bios back to the defaults of 6-6-3, XP was able to correctly write changes to my registry and shutdown properly.

Where's the connection? -- Not sure, it's just a thought :D

Anyhow that might be happening in your case if it's not just a bad driver installation. Give it a try.

Gator
01-29-03, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by duralisis
It might just be a buggy driver version you're using that's not writing the correct reg entries...XP may shut down "too" quickly and not close out the system registry changes as it's in the shutdown process...

Bravo! I think you helped me figure it out. I normally shut down the PC by hitting my off nutton, which automatically shuts down Windows properly. But it may have been doing it too quickly like you said, so I tried clicking start > shutdown instead. When I boot back up it went to 32bit color by default. I guess those registry changes needed to save since I changed to det 42.70, and they couldnt do it fast enough. I'm gonna try shutting down with the off button now again and see if it's all saved properly...

update: yep! it's all better now. Regardless if I use the off button, click shutdown, or simply restart, the 32bit color setting stays. Thanks!!! :afro2:

Gator
01-30-03, 05:50 AM
ugh! The problem came back, I left the computer off overnight, and when I woke up this morning sure enough the color is 8bit again.

any other ideas?

Gator
01-31-03, 04:44 PM
i gave up! check this thread
(http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=67512#post67512)

Greg
02-01-03, 10:48 PM
I got the 8bit color thing the first time after i had installed the 42.70 drivers. That particular thing didn't happen again, but the task bar icons get changed every time i reboot, and I often get the whole task bar corrupted.