PDA

View Full Version : BSOD: Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal

superklye
04-19-06, 01:08 AM
I've gotten this twice, now. Once with the old RAM now with the new one, so I'm pretty sure that the RAM isn't the problem. It only happens when I play Oblivion (but then again, that's the only game I play when I actually have time to game) and only in SLI.

Does anyone else get this and if so, do you know what the problem is? I Googled it, but everything I found was pretty old and it made it seem like it was either a driver display bug or just a general hardware bug that may or may not be fixed by various things online.

It's mildly annoying...if it starts happening more frequently, there may be pain inflicted on someone/thing, but for now...I just play and quick save OFTEN.

CaptNKILL
04-19-06, 01:17 AM
To be honest, I mostly see this with ram.

It could be related to your overclocking though.

Id try your ram and cpu at stock just to narrow things down. If that fixes it, then your overclock is creating some sort of stability problem. My guess is that either your ram is having some problems at those speeds\timings or something isnt getting enough voltage.

Make sure your temperatures are ok too.

mike686
04-19-06, 01:17 AM
That error is caused by bad memory.

I had that with a set of bad RAM, and when I replaced it, the problem went away. But since you said you have already replaced the system memory, it probably isn't that.

The same thing can probably happen with video RAM. My best guess: One of your video cards (the one in slot #2 for SLI) has bad video memory, so when you activate SLI mode, that second card throws the error. I would try using one card at a time in single mode and see if one of them gives you the error.

If neither card in single mode gives you errors of any kind, then you have a second set of bad system memory.

CaptNKILL
04-19-06, 01:26 AM
Thats possible, but I have given myself this error through overclocking. Its a pretty common error with parts that are failing, either because they are dead or because they are being overclocked too much. I wouldnt say he should immediately prepare for an RMA or anything like that. There are too many possibilities.

knghtwhosaysni
04-19-06, 01:39 AM
I had that problem come up twice, after I changed iMaxImpactSoundCount to 64 from 32... I thought it might use more sounds or something and my sound card would be able to handle it. I don't know if that was what caused it, but I haven't gotten that bluescren since I changed it back.

superklye
04-19-06, 02:26 AM
hmmm...I really don't know. My system is Prime95 stable (I ran it for 1.5 hours tonight with no error after putting in the RAM, and I'm about to start it up again to go overnight), so that makes me think it isn't a RAM problem, but I suppose I can back it off.

It just seems so weird/random because it DOESN'T happen all the time. Like, I was playing for about 2 minutes before I posted this problem, and then I started the game up again and played until now (about 1.25 hours) and had no problems whatsoever. If it was a more common error and/or happened in Photoshop or something, then I'd think it was something faulty, but maybe there just really is an IRQ discrepency?

CaptNKILL
04-19-06, 02:50 AM
Its hard to say.

Id recommend backing up your important data though. Anything flaky like that can mean problems later, so for peace of mind, make sure you have your drives backed up.

Not really sure how to test it though since it happens so randomly. Maybe try some different video drivers? Maybe the newest betas if you dont have them already.

Im totaly beat and Im trying to listen to this new tool CD... its difficult to think about a complicated troubleshooting problem like this :p

I think Im just going to go to bed and think about it tomorrow... well... today... in 7 hours... :\

TierMann
04-19-06, 02:58 AM
It's not always memory. I can reproduce that same BSOD using nvidia drivers after 78.05 and before 82.12. I wasn't the only one either back when I was trying to figure out what the heck was going on. Riptide was having problems with the same driver sets I think with both his 7800GTX 256 and 512's.

Have you changed drivers lately? I can't say for sure that that's the problem, but it happens. It didn't and hasn't happend here before or after those sets, at all.

superklye
04-19-06, 09:27 AM
No, I haven't changed the drivers. I can definitely do that later though.

Riptide
04-19-06, 09:31 AM
Riptide was having problems with the same driver sets I think with both his 7800GTX 256 and 512's.Oh yeah. Pushed me over to ATI that problem did. And it wasn't just me either. 81.xx had problems with dual core CPUs remember? At least it did for some of us.

Anyway if you haven't already the first thing I would do is dump the overclock. Plus Prime for 1.5 hours isn't really the best test. I'd let it purr over night myself. Get a good 8 hours in to be safe.

superklye
04-19-06, 09:32 AM
It ran's ran over 6.5 already with no problems yet. I'll let it keep going until I get back from class at 10.

|MaguS|
04-19-06, 09:32 AM
It could also be your PSU, The amps could be dropping causing some hardware failure. Considering how demading Oblivion is on CPU and GPU it could be draining too much for it to handle. Try playing while at stock clocks on your CPU.

superklye
04-19-06, 09:43 AM
That makes me sad to lose my OC, but I guess I can try it. :(

Riptide
04-19-06, 09:53 AM
Well bucker up camper. :)

It might not be the o/c. IRQL is a driver or hardware problem though. Kinda narrows it down doesn't it? lol

Often times it is RAM. But not always. Have you checked event viewer? Is anything showing up there that gives you some more information? Does it mention, @ the blue screen, a driver somewhere in the error message? Say anything about nv4_disp.dll being stuck in an infinite loop?

nekrosoft13
04-19-06, 10:45 AM
sometimes googl'ing the error codes helps, you might some useful information

superklye
04-19-06, 11:04 AM
Well bucker up camper. :)

It might not be the o/c. IRQL is a driver or hardware problem though. Kinda narrows it down doesn't it? lol

Often times it is RAM. But not always. Have you checked event viewer? Is anything showing up there that gives you some more information? Does it mention, @ the blue screen, a driver somewhere in the error message? Say anything about nv4_disp.dll being stuck in an infinite loop?
I can't remember off the top of my head, but that does sound very, VERY familiar...

sometimes googl'ing the error codes helps, you might some useful information
yeah, I did, but almsot everything was from 2003.

|MaguS|
04-19-06, 11:08 AM
The game just locked up my entire PC, no BSOD though. I think I need to defrag though, been catching up on my anime recently.

Superfly
04-19-06, 11:14 AM
The game just locked up my entire PC, no BSOD though. I think I need to defrag though, been catching up on my anime recently.

you mean your pr0n folder is bursting at the seems and you need to lighten the load (dirty boy)

:p

|MaguS|
04-19-06, 11:34 AM
you mean your pr0n folder is bursting at the seems and you need to lighten the load (dirty boy)

:p

sssshh :p

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/4071/wwweeee0vw.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Look at all that... manga!

superklye
04-19-06, 11:36 AM
I'm thinking back to when I first got the game...I never had problems, then I had to switch out my cards and put the 7300GS back in, after that, I got the newest NVIDIA drivers (official) and installed those and that's when this started. I've had my computer overclocked since getting the game, but it wasn't until I installed the new drivers that this random error happened. Thankfully it's VERY random and few and far between, but still. I guess I can try to find the version right before these current ones or use one of the newest betas to see what happens...