PDA

View Full Version : Does the game intentionally generate weapons you can't use?

sillyeagle
04-20-06, 12:03 AM
From what I have seen the game intentionally gives you weapons you are not specialized in or cannot use. Or maybe its just that 85% of the NPCs use blunt and not blade?

So I'm a baldesman, but the game rarely generates any blades. Neary every enemy I kill carries only maces and axes. Back when I onl;y had a dwarven short sword I'm finding gobs and gobs of glass axes, glass maces and glass warhammers. Then when I finally find a single glass claymore, I start seeing Ebony maces, ebony warhammer, ebony axes. Is there a single ebony or another glass sword to found? Nope, but plenty of ebony and glass blunts.

Not until I go kill Umbra with my glass claymore and steal her blade to I see ebony swords appear, and of course as soon as Umbras blade is in my possesion I raid two places and have two ebony longswords that are of no use to me....

I went with blade because in Morrowind blades were the most powerful and prevelant, but it seems in Oblivion blunt is the most prevelant, and by a HUGE margin. Or is it just me?

ventriloquate
04-20-06, 09:28 AM
I did find that earlier in the game there seemed to be more blunt weapon drops than sword drops. For me, though, this was not by a huge margin but more a smallish margin. I also use swords as my main weapon as well and was a bit frustrated by the lack of decent weapons to use early on, but fortunately things picked up later in the game.

CaptNKILL
04-20-06, 09:33 AM
All I can think is that the "Bandit" class specializes in blunt weapons rather than blades. There are different kinds of bandits that will have swords, but most do seem to have maces, hammers and axes. Usually they have daggers on them as well.

gray fox
04-20-06, 11:21 AM
Ive found that the closer you are to town the more blunt weapon drops there are and the further out .. the more blades you get the picture..

SH64
04-20-06, 04:54 PM
I dont think so .. i'm specialized in blunt weapons & i find them pretty much everywhere.

Mr. Hunt
04-20-06, 05:51 PM
I still don't understand why axes are blunt... I mean... if you don't want them to count as slashing or whatever... make up another type or something... but blunt... no :(.

CaptNKILL
04-20-06, 06:04 PM
I still don't understand why axes are blunt... I mean... if you don't want them to count as slashing or whatever... make up another type or something... but blunt... no :(.
It is a little weird but thats the reason they got rid of the axe skill. It doesnt really make much sense to be great at swinging an axe but terrible with every single other type of weapon. And blade already has plenty of weapon types (plus swords are quite a bit different than axes). If I can bash with a hammer I should be decent at bashing with a battle axe.

It was kind of rediculous before with so many different weapon skills... it didnt really make sense. I can kill with one swing from a short sword but give me a long sword (about a foot longer) and I might as well be using my bare hands? Bah :p

They probably could have called "blunt" something else though. Maybe even Blunt and Axe.

SH64
04-20-06, 06:51 PM
In Morrowind there were spears too (IIRC) ... now they are no more.

CaptNKILL
04-20-06, 06:59 PM
In Morrowind there were spears too (IIRC) ... now they are no more.
Yeah there was a big stink about that in the official forums. I guess not enough people used them to warrant the amount of work required to put in another whole weapon type and skill. I tried them in Morrowind and they sort of sucked. You could hit from pretty far away but whats it matter? Most things are going to be hitting you one way or another. The only time the distance was a real advantage was when you were exploiting the AI by standing on a rock and poking at them from 6 feet away :p

Would have been cool to have a lance\spear weapon type for horses though... maybe if\when they add mounted combat they will do this.

SH64
04-20-06, 07:01 PM
The only time the distance was a real advantage was when you were exploiting the AI by standing on a rock and poking at them from 6 feet away :p

Haha exactly!! that what i used to do back in Morrowind & even sometimes in OBlivion (with bows or staffs etc) .. however in Oblivion the A.I. is much better so it dosent work most of the time.

CaptNKILL
04-20-06, 07:14 PM
Haha exactly!! that what i used to do back in Morrowind & even sometimes in OBlivion (with bows or staffs etc) .. however in Oblivion the A.I. is much better so it dosent work most of the time.
Yeah they still get stuck a lot (especially the dumb animals) but they will actually move around the rock to see if theres a better way to get to you. And guards will sometimes run away and use a bow from a distance.

msxyz
04-21-06, 02:43 AM
Axes are close to blunt weapon more than many people realize.

They're both "impact weapons" and they're usually handled in a similar way. Loosing spears and other type of ranged weapons (particulary croosbows) was a much bigger shortcut Bethesda has taken in the development of Oblivion.

Plus, the only useless melee skill (hand to hand) didn't got the axe while it could have been included as perk of athletics. Athletics as a skill is useless as well except that at high levels you can outrun horses. O_o

Also there are too many magic schools, most of which have become pretty useless aside from 2-3 spells. Mysticism should have included also alteration and illusion while keeping destruction and restoration separate.

Mr. Hunt
04-21-06, 02:46 AM
Axes are close to blunt weapon more than many people realize.

They're both "impact weapons" and they're usually handled in a similar way. Loosing spears and other type of ranged weapons (particulary croosbows) was a much bigger shortcut Bethesda has taken in the development of Oblivion.

Plus, the only useless melee skill (hand to hand) didn't got the axe while it could have been included as perk of athletics. Athletics as a skill is useless as well except that at high levels you can outrun horses. O_o

Also there are too many magic schools, most of which have become pretty useless aside from 2-3 spells. Mysticism should have included also alteration and illusion while keeping destruction and restoration separate.

Lol yeah... with my main characterI made Athletics a major... at 90ish right now I think and when I am in sneak mode, I move a million times faster than I used to run while standing lol.

Chu-Dog
04-21-06, 02:56 AM
After many hours of playing, the best Sword i have ever come across was Goldbrand. You have to go to the Shrine of Boethia and do a mission for him to get it. The shrine is southeast of Cheydinhal (very very south east). Bring a Daedra Heart to start the mission. :p