PDA

View Full Version : Is fGrassEndDistance=8000.0000 the default?

sillyeagle
04-20-06, 02:15 AM
According to killahsin and some web sites I have seen the default fGrassEndDistance= is 4000, and through the ini they double it up to 8000. But my line is already set to 8000 by default with my grass slider to the far right.

Am I missing something?

CaptNKILL
04-20-06, 02:21 AM
According to killahsin and some web sites I have seen the default fGrassEndDistance= is 4000, and through the ini they double it up to 8000. But my line is already set to 8000 by default with my grass slider to the far right.

Am I missing something?
I noticed this as well. Im not sure why some people are getting defaults of 4000. Maybe the in-game grass sliders defaulted to half way on their systems? I have my grass distance at the "default" 8000 and it draws out MUCH farther than any of those pre-release videos . They must have increased it for high spec machines or something.

Superfly
04-20-06, 03:37 AM
it defaults to 8000 for me as well so its not a high spec thing......wonder what the ATI cards default too??.....hmmmmmm

killahsin
04-20-06, 05:13 AM
I dunno i have a 7900 gt and it defaulted to 4k for me. Perhaps if you have 2 gigs of ram it defualts to 8k? and i mean default max slider setting. someone take a gig stick out reset your drivers and check, haha. (reset your drivers so it resets your config)

OWA
04-20-06, 09:36 AM
It defaults to 8k for me as well (on both systems) so you're probably right about 2 gigs vs 1 gig.

Is the GT a 256 or 512 card? Maybe it could be that also if the GT is 256.

Superfly
04-20-06, 10:06 AM
yeh its 256 on the GT

killahsin
04-20-06, 11:30 PM
It's probably the 2 gigs of ram then. the devs did say on day of release on shack that future cards/tech/hardware; the engine would have the bars scale further out. So i'm thinking that the ini is different at min/max defaults for alot of things depending on hardware. It's really interesting but also scary when you consider if it changes based on say which high end card you have. Which makes me question alot of the current benchmarks. I'm curious if they made sure their ini settings were exactly the same when benchmarking.

glObalist
04-21-06, 02:56 AM
It's probably the 2 gigs of ram then. the devs did say on day of release on shack that future cards/tech/hardware; the engine would have the bars scale further out. So i'm thinking that the ini is different at min/max defaults for alot of things depending on hardware. It's really interesting but also scary when you consider if it changes based on say which high end card you have. Which makes me question alot of the current benchmarks. I'm curious if they made sure their ini settings were exactly the same when benchmarking.

It defaults to 8000 for me and I have one gig of RAM.

What bothers me though is the game checks for your vidcard identifier each time it runs and as overclocking the card apparently changes it, I have to reset all the in-game settings and sliders everytime I overclock.

I'm starting to hate the "Oblivion will now detect your graphics settings" message, especially since it obviously doesn't recognize the 7900GT and defaults to "Medium" settings for me each time that happens.

OWA
04-21-06, 07:21 AM
Have you tried making the INI file read only to see if that keeps Oblivion from overwriting the settings each time you overclock? I haven't tried that but it works for some games.

KatzZero
04-23-06, 08:30 AM
I have a 6800gt@ultra and 1 gig of ram .... the defaut for me is 8k too ...

Pepsiboy
04-23-06, 01:56 PM
Yes...i have 1 gig of RAM and it defaulted to 8000...anything like that is usually set based on the RAM. I set the grass draw all the way to 0 tho cause it just kills the performance way too bad :(