PDA

View Full Version : Should I reconsider getting an x2 chip?

FluxCap
04-20-06, 10:19 AM
After discovering this link (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=983781&highlight=dual+core+fix) today I am worried about issues with games. I play WoW and most of the newest FPS games. Should I just wait and see how my new system handles this or call monarch and change my processor to single core?

System on order:
3800 x2
Asus A8N-E nForce4
BFG 7900GT OC
2 gigs OCZ plat

Will be using Win XP Pro.

Did anyone else here have these concerns?

Peoples-Agent
04-20-06, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't take a step back if I were you, i'm still considering a Dual Core even though I was going to wait for Conroe / AM2 to launch.

Aslong as you make use of the Affinity option, it's allgood from what I can tell.

The guys on these boards don't use DC for no reason ya know.

FluxCap
04-20-06, 10:48 AM
Well, I don't really multitask and I was actually not going to take a step back, I was going to change my chip to the 4000+ 1mb cache. That is probably going to be a slight improvement for gaming if I had to guess.

I just have to make my decision ASAP or my system will be in the build phase and I will really have to delay my order to change it.

fivefeet8
04-20-06, 05:46 PM
Well, I don't really multitask and I was actually not going to take a step back, I was going to change my chip to the 4000+ 1mb cache. That is probably going to be a slight improvement for gaming if I had to guess.

I just have to make my decision ASAP or my system will be in the build phase and I will really have to delay my order to change it.

If you don't do much multitasking, then you won't see much of a difference now. But that is a bit of a narrow view. Looking at the big picture, it's better to get a dual core system now or wait for the newer dual core CPU's coming up. Single core CPU's are going to suffer more and more as more and more games/applications/OS's start taking more advantage of a Dual core cpu.

In the end though, it is your money and you have to choose what is best for you, but I think most people will tell you that a Dual Core system is the better option. It's up to you to either take our advice or not.

SH64
04-20-06, 05:56 PM
No need to go back to single core in any matter .. stick with the X2 3800+ i say.

einstein_314
04-20-06, 07:42 PM
I just got a Opteron 175 dual core on tuesday and I'm never going to single core again. Everything is so responsive. I love it. Oh, and I had a A64 3500+ before which was pretty fast by itself. But this thing is way better. So far it's rock solid at 2.6ghz (stock 2.2) :D. I say stick with the dual core.

TierMann
04-20-06, 09:44 PM
I'd stick with the dual core. I don't play WoW regularly, but I did play a 10 day trial with the AMD driver and MS hotfix installed with no problems. I didn't have to set affinity or anything either.

FluxCap
04-21-06, 09:09 AM
I will have to sleep in the bed I made because I changed my order to a single core yesterday. The older I get the less I want to mess with overclocking, tweaking, etc. I just want a fast system that runs with no fuss. I didn't really care to alt+tab out of games to set the affinity, that is absurd in my opinion.

I appreciate the advice however, and if I feel like it was a really bad choice to change I can go for a DC in the next 6 months or early next year. The performance gain I am getting over my current system will have me pretty happy regardless.

Tr1cK
04-21-06, 01:47 PM
Good choice, I wish I would have gotten a single core instead. I have yet to see any decent performance boost in any game. WoW DOES have issues with dual cores (well AMD I know) regardless of the patches. Setting affinity and what not is not an issue using a launcher utility, it's just a PITA when a game has issues with dual cores in general.

fps_dean
04-26-06, 11:56 AM
I will have to sleep in the bed I made because I changed my order to a single core yesterday. The older I get the less I want to mess with overclocking, tweaking, etc. I just want a fast system that runs with no fuss. I didn't really care to alt+tab out of games to set the affinity, that is absurd in my opinion.

I appreciate the advice however, and if I feel like it was a really bad choice to change I can go for a DC in the next 6 months or early next year. The performance gain I am getting over my current system will have me pretty happy regardless.

Good move. I not only got studdering with my X2 but it threw blue screens at me like it was going out of style. Didn't like usb2.0 with the nForce4 and the x2 apparently which seems to be a very common issue. I've read some stuff where people have had similiar problems and I'm not sure they had a Nvidia chipset either.

I had to add /onecpu to my boot.ini to make it work.

What they said at that link (also this one mentions setting throttle which I did not see in the other but may have missed it) should fix all studdering problems. So it comes down the fact that some people have BSoD+X2 issues, and some people don't.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81429

Wish I either got a FX-57 or saved some cash and got a singe core Athlon64 now :(