PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Quality Control

OldOfEvil
04-20-06, 09:54 AM
Anyone else worried about the quality on the PS3? If it's anything like the early PS2 units I will be waiting a few revisions, which is a damn shame I'd like to buy one at launch but I've already owned 2 PS2 and both died. Having had problems with my X360 make me less confidant in companies testing there hardware. Seems a lot of games are following this "rush it" trend..

H3avyM3tal
04-20-06, 10:06 AM
I own a first revision ps2 myself, and the only problems I had were products of my own fault. Sounds like you got some tough luck there...

But I never heard of any extreme faults with the early revisions myself. Maybe thats cuz I own a pal system?

ENU291
04-20-06, 10:08 AM
If Sony rushes the PS3 launch at the end of this year without doing some heavy duty QA and debugging test then we might see a repeat of the problems people experienced with the PS2 and Xbox360 launch.

Reaper106
04-20-06, 10:13 AM
I will have to buy a launch unit, I always get the extra warranty with them anyways so not to big of a deal.

Bad_Boy
04-20-06, 10:26 AM
I will have to buy a launch unit, I always get the extra warranty with them anyways so not to big of a deal.
What he said, getting a launch console with extra warranty. Im actually going to preorder two, I guess I'll have a backup ps3 if I dont sell it on ebay. :p

Personally, to this day, I have never had a problem with my ps1, ps2, or psp. And I got all of them at launch. I do feel bad for the ones who get lemons though.

In other news, Sony producing cell on a 65nm process, may have its benefits if its used on launch consoles
http://www.fabtech.org/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=1423&Itemid=2
-ps3 will run cooler
-cheaper
-improved yields
-smaller
-lower power consumption

Truly, the only thing Id even think about worrying about is the blu-ray drives. Even then, blu-ray has been in development for years so we will just have to wait and see.

Reaper106
04-20-06, 10:30 AM
What he said, getting a launch console with extra warranty. Im actually going to preorder two, I guess I'll have a backup ps3 if I dont sell it on ebay. :p

Personally, to this day, I have never had a problem with my ps1, ps2, or psp. And I got all of them at launch. I do feel bad for the ones who get lemons though.
lol were are both sick, I also just bought a backup 360, I have yet to use it, still new in the box, My new backup unit was made in march 06 so it has the new DVD drive and refinments.

Probably gonna set up a LAN in my house just like I had with the original xbox. Lots of fun to play halo with the kids. :D

OldOfEvil
04-20-06, 10:56 AM
I'll probably do that anyway, the warranty. Seems like products like to fail a week after the limited warranty.

|MaguS|
04-20-06, 11:00 AM
I will get one at launch, my Launch Day PS2 is running perfect. As for Sony's QA, its not the best but all consoles have defects or issues at launch, even the Dreamcast had major problems.

OldOfEvil
04-20-06, 11:38 AM
I still have my DC from launch and it works flawlessly, but I've owned 2 PS2 and 3 PSX. Have also had had my Xbox since launch and haven't had any issues. Yet, my X360 broke just recently.

Mr_LoL
04-20-06, 11:44 AM
Yep I will buy one at launch. A few will probably have problems as all consoles do but I hope it wouldnt be mine.

Edge
04-20-06, 11:50 AM
I'm wondering about this too. A first gen CPU coupled with a first gen Blu-ray/DVD/CD combo drive...I just can't see the thing getting by without at least a few problems. But I usually wait at least a year before I pick up a system, just because it will be cheaper and and have a wider selection of games availible at the time, not to mention any hardware issues (should) be taken care of. Just as long as they don't start removing component in later revisions, PS2 Ilink/Gamecube Digital port anyone?

I will get one at launch, my Launch Day PS2 is running perfect. As for Sony's QA, its not the best but all consoles have defects or issues at launch, even the Dreamcast had major problems.
I've never heard of major problems with the Dremcast, at least no more than can be attributed to typical electronics failures. I even had mine running for several days with the vent accidentally covered up. The air inside was really hot when I finally found out and moved the obstruction out of the way, but it always did and still does work perfectly :thumbup:

|MaguS|
04-20-06, 12:11 PM
But Sony removed ILink due to lack of support, I mean seriously it was pointless. Atleast it wasn't a jackass/stupid thing to do like Nintendo removing the digital port.

Some Dreamcasts had issues with certain games at launch and many games were shipped out without being burned (aka you got a blank GDROM Disc, Sonic was one of them).

My Dreamcast works perfectly aswell, I did have a copy of Sonic Adventures that was blank but I just exchanged it and got a working one.

Knot3D
04-20-06, 12:19 PM
of course, PS3 will be a total p o junk.

Mr. Hunt
04-20-06, 05:56 PM

Yup. I will not be able to live knowing the PS3 is out there and I don't have it :\. But yeah... just pay the extra money for the warranty... although my PSP and PS2 (both bought on launch day here in the states) have worked 100% no problems. My PS1 had ONE problem after I think it was 3 years where the laser dropped... got another one and never had another problem.

lIqUID
04-21-06, 09:58 PM
my PS2 launch unit has worked flawlessly for me.

npras42
04-23-06, 06:57 AM
lol... I'm on my third PS2 and had two PSX. I did treat the first two PS2s very badly though. I dropped one on a wood floor (off my desk) and the other got wet a few times when I was drunk and playing Pro Evo with friends.

Shamrock
04-23-06, 09:19 PM
Sony Begins PS3 Component Testing

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1910

Mr. Hunt
04-23-06, 10:05 PM
lol... I'm on my third PS2 and had two PSX. I did treat the first two PS2s very badly though. I dropped one on a wood floor (off my desk) and the other got wet a few times when I was drunk and playing Pro Evo with friends.

Yeah... can't really blame Sony for those lol... I mean... my brothers PS"two" died when his son got some juice in it... so... yeah...

1337_Like_ThaT
04-24-06, 12:24 AM
Yeah... can't really blame Sony for those lol... I mean... my brothers PS"two" died when his son got some juice in it... so... yeah...

What kinda juice? :naughty:

Mr. Hunt
04-24-06, 12:42 AM
What kinda juice? :naughty:

Orange I think :\.