PDA

View Full Version : Anyone bought Dreamfall yet?

Pages : [1] 2

Scunner
04-20-06, 04:56 PM
EBGames in the Cincinnati area have the XBox version of the game, but not the PC version. One store even went so far as to tell me that it was unlikely they'd get it in stock, because they're cutting down on the number of PC games they carry.

Anyone else had luck getting it at retail, regardless of state, for PC?

SH64
04-20-06, 05:48 PM
I'm looking for some input on the game aswell ..

nutcrackr
04-20-06, 07:06 PM
Gamespy gave it 100%
1up gave it 40%

I find that incredibly odd :POKE:

SH64
04-20-06, 08:08 PM
Gamespy gave it 100%
1up gave it 40%

I find that incredibly odd :POKE:

Yeah isnt it ? esp if you look at the pros/cons in the gamespy article :
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/dreamfall/702029p1.html

Pros
Incredible storyline; strong dialogue; phenomenal art direction; some fun mini-games; good gamepad controls.
Cons
Stealth sections; poor fighting system; clunky keyboard-and-mouse controls.
the poor fighting system alone is a good reason from me to drop the score for like 5-10%.

Scunner
04-20-06, 08:27 PM
I went to CompUSA in the off-chance that they'd have some on the shelf, despite the online stock query saying they had none. I got the last one on the shelf. EBGames and Gamestop are still saying that they have none on order for the PC.

Time to get it installed. All six discs!

NaitoSan
04-21-06, 04:57 AM
six discs? damn why can't they just put game in 1 dvd? :wtf:

|MaguS|
04-21-06, 06:37 AM
the poor fighting system alone is a good reason from me to drop the score for like 5-10%.

Why? It's an adventure game. I would prefer they not have them at all. As for the game, I have yet to see it in my area...

Scunner
04-21-06, 07:38 AM
six discs? damn why can't they just put game in 1 dvd? :wtf:

In Europe, the game is on DVD only. In the US, you have to order the collector's edition ($65 which includes soundtrack ep and a book of TLJ art) to get it on DVD. I guess they think that America is slow on the DVD-uptake.

Thankfully, unlike TLJ where you had to insert different discs at different points during the game, 7-8gb installs on your drive.

SH64
04-21-06, 04:32 PM
Why? It's an adventure game. I would prefer they not have them at all.
Agreed .. but since they already went ahead "foolishly" & integrated a fighting system in an adv game , at least make it decent!

Morrow
04-22-06, 10:32 AM
I just preordered the Limited Edition here: https://funcom.asknet.com/cgi-bin/show/P14757

SH64
05-07-06, 04:54 PM
I just preordered the Limited Edition here: https://funcom.asknet.com/cgi-bin/show/P14757
So did you get it ?? whats the verdict ?

Morrow
05-08-06, 06:05 AM
So did you get it ?? whats the verdict ?

Unfortunately I still haven't received it. The site said the limitied edition will ship on the 30th April but till now I didn't get any news about the shipping or status of the order...

Fortunately I'm still busy with Condemned and Shadowgrounds and next week I will be on vacation :)

So, dreamfall has to wait untill after that.

Epyx
05-09-06, 12:56 AM
In Europe, the game is on DVD only. In the US, you have to order the collector's edition ($65 which includes soundtrack ep and a book of TLJ art) to get it on DVD. I guess they think that America is slow on the DVD-uptake.

Funny considering back when I had my C64 it was North America that had disk drives while C64 users in Europe mostly suffered with tape because they were slow on the disk uptake hehe...

All in all rubbish though considering here in Canada everyone with a computer pretty much has a dvd drive. /shrug

nrs421
09-21-06, 10:51 AM
any updates? how is the game? i saw it at best buy for $20....if it's any good i'll get it for fun

Rieper
09-21-06, 12:13 PM
Wow. Talk about bringing something back from the dead...

By the way, schweeeeeeeeet avatar you got there!! Hehe.

|MaguS|
09-21-06, 12:15 PM
any updates? how is the game? i saw it at best buy for $20....if it's any good i'll get it for fun

If you like adventure games then its definetly worth $20, I purchased it for $30.

nVidi0t
09-21-06, 12:33 PM
I played it through with my girlfriend and we really enjoyed it. Playing through the Longest Journey again now as I havent played it for a couple of years.

Dreamfall has very simple puzzles, it's more an interactive story, but a fantastic story at that.

CaptNKILL
09-21-06, 02:31 PM
Dreamfall has very simple puzzles, it's more an interactive story, but a fantastic story at that.
Yep, thats about how I feel about it.

It was pretty short compared to the first one (which was rediculously long for an adventure game) but the story was good and the graphics are top notch. Good voice acting too. I'd probably give it an 80-85% rating overall. The first one would be more like 95%+... its THAT good. Of course I'm a sucker for point and click adventure games.

K007
09-21-06, 08:47 PM
They ruined the game.

They tried to change the entire game concept from the preavious one and thats why it sux..i havent even played after awhile now because its just so stupid.

First was the combat mode mistake
Second was going 3D.

These 2 ruined Dreamfall..i assume the story is still great but its got such a **** combat system/3d world....this is what happens when you try to change a great game setup like TLJ..i mean dam TLJ was one of the best adventure type games i played in a loooooooong time..and the preavious games used to be like Monkey Island/Full throttle from EA. TLJ had me hooked on while Dreamfall makes me wanna stab myself.

JohnEJohn
09-22-06, 04:04 AM
I enjoyed the story but... it must have been written by a woman. The dialogue I thought was pretty good and the graphics were fairly decent but nothing breathtaking.

Did not like the combat system at all, in fact it was a crap selling point to probably lure some younger gamers into the genre.

A few parts were a bit dull too.

But it's not very often we get to play these types of games any more, shame it wasn't a patch on the longest journey.
Try syberia 1&2 if you haven't already.

Im really looking forward to tunguska the secret files, the demo was very good and I was really impressed with the artwork. Oh and the new broken sword is out too, picking it up this weekend (got call of juarez last weekend).

CaptNKILL
09-22-06, 04:45 AM
I enjoyed the stort but... it must have been written by a woman. The dialogue I thought was pretty good and the graphics were fairly decent but nothing breathtaking.

Did not like the combat system at all, in fact it was a crap selling point to probably lure some younger gamers into the genre.

A few parts were a bit dull too.

But it's not very often we get to play these types of games any more, shame it wasn't a patch on the longest journey.
Try syberia 1&2 if you haven't already.

Im really looking forward to tunguska the secret files, the demo was very good and I was really impressed with the artwork. Oh and the new broken sword is out too, picking it up this weekend (got call of juarez last weekend).
Yeah some of the scenes deffinitely had that "NBC Teen Drama" feel to it, but I just had to shake it off and keep playing. :p

I'm also going to be getting Syberia 1 and 2 eventually. The same for Tunguska: The Secret Files. I was very impressed with that demo as well. It felt a LOT like The Longest Journey and the characters, puzzles, graphics and voice acting all seemed good. I'm not expecting anything as epic as TLJ, but any adventure game that doesnt immediately suck is worth playing to me... :D

K007
09-22-06, 06:43 AM
Isen't it Cyberia? I played this game ages ago..it was a DOS based game..cant 100% recall but it was some kinda spy type game..was a fun game too might i add.

JohnEJohn
09-22-06, 10:56 AM
Nah, they are two completely different games.

Syberia 1 and 2 are by Microids, if you like adventure games with a great story try these.

Also give the moment of silence a try, this had a great big brother/oppresive government type storyline. One of my favourite games, probably the way this country is going/has gone too!

russ_3d
09-22-06, 11:14 AM
my gf tried to play syberia 2.

the puzzles start fairly easy, then they get fiendish as the game progresses.

she ended up tearing her hair out

K007
09-22-06, 05:36 PM
Right Syberia 2 is defeantly something else...wonder if anyone recalls Cyberia 1/2..like DOS games -.-..it had some nice graphics for its time with crazy ass puzzles and monkey island type adventure feel...and man..back then i didnt even have a god dam faq or anything..some of those puzzles..were just plain bs..like entering in a keypad number by listening to the sound of the tone of one of the guys pressing in..and if u press the wrong key...gg gas -.-.