PDA

View Full Version : So, this round with HDR/AA enabled, will ATI knock nVidia out ?

leopard
04-21-06, 01:08 AM
How nVidia strike back ? Do we have to wait for G80 ?

jAkUp
04-21-06, 01:27 AM
Nice trolling thread title.

AA + FP16 HDR is not capable on G70. We will need to wait for G80.

It works on the x1900xtx, but requires workaround usually.

FearMeAll
04-21-06, 06:21 AM
I would love hdr + FSAA but I love SLI more until crossfire matures a LOT. I would love SLI with hdr/FSAA so yeah g80 is what I want for this. I am still very happy that NV did have the balls to put out SLI for us enthusiasts. Now I don't have to wait a year for some the the cutting edge games to perform well.
/edit- your title is stupid too leopard. I don't understand what that kind of tone is for. Why do we want a competing company "knocked out"? I want to keep competition alive.

Superfly
04-21-06, 06:50 AM
Leopard, hav'nt you been banned twice already??

Oh course if your not who I think you are then carry on.

JMerrick
04-21-06, 07:20 AM
FSAA is incompatible with the HDR implementation used in Far Cry (OpenEXR?), I am not sure if it's even a chip problem. I think in the upcoming 1.4 patch is going to fix it. HDR + AA can be used in Source engine.

betterdan
04-21-06, 07:38 AM
There is a 1.4 patch coming out for Far Cry? That's the first I have heard of it.

saturnotaku
04-21-06, 07:46 AM
There is a 1.4 patch coming out for Far Cry? That's the first I have heard of it.

There's a "beta" patch available on Guru3D for X19xx cards.

jAkUp
04-21-06, 09:41 AM
FSAA is incompatible with the HDR implementation used in Far Cry (OpenEXR?), I am not sure if it's even a chip problem. I think in the upcoming 1.4 patch is going to fix it. HDR + AA can be used in Source engine.

Source does not use FP16 HDR.

Demanufakture
04-21-06, 12:57 PM

Yes, crytek has said over at crymod.com that they are pretty much done with a 1.4 patch and are talking with ubisoft for the release date.

leopard
04-21-06, 11:12 PM
I would love hdr + FSAA but I love SLI more until crossfire matures a LOT. I would love SLI with hdr/FSAA so yeah g80 is what I want for this. I am still very happy that NV did have the balls to put out SLI for us enthusiasts. Now I don't have to wait a year for some the the cutting edge games to perform well.
/edit- your title is stupid too leopard. I don't understand what that kind of tone is for. Why do we want a competing company "knocked out"? I want to keep competition alive.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31159 ATI used a little trick but gain a lot. nVidia have to work hard to improve their image quality.

SLippe
04-21-06, 11:17 PM
People like you amaze me. :tool:

jAkUp
04-21-06, 11:36 PM
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31159 ATI used a little trick but gain a lot. nVidia have to work hard to improve their image quality.

nVidia and ATI both could improve their image quality. ATI needs to improve its AA quality.

As for HDR and AA, there are so few games out there that use floating point precision for HDR it doesn't really matter anyways. As a matter of fact, I can only think of 2 games. Splinter Cell CT, and Oblivion.

smallSHEEP
04-22-06, 05:56 AM
I don't think this guy is a troll just someone starting a new account for a laugh probably.

|MaguS|
04-22-06, 06:52 AM
I don't think this guy is a troll just someone starting a new account for a laugh probably.

Thats a troll...

FearMeAll
04-22-06, 10:01 AM
we all know about that but I am thrilled by the image quality of my cards just like I would be thrilled about the image quality of an ATi card.
but yeah I'm kinda leaning the way of many posting replies to you and you do indeed seem to be a tool. I mean why just post stuff to start a fight? You are just positng something that has been talked to death on these forums and it is getting old....really old.
Just buy an x1900xtx why don't ya and enjoy it. you have reasons for getting ATi cards just like we have reasons for getting NV cards. I looked overall and for me personally nv was a better decision for my needs with hdrFSAA or not.

Nutty
04-22-06, 10:06 AM

OpenEXR is a file format like BMP, JPG etc.. its not an HDR solution.

Seriously I cant believe theres soo much missinformation going around about this whole thing.

NV can do Floating point HDR+AA, but its upto the developer to implement it.
They offer Fixed point HDR+AA automatically, as used in HL2,CS:S,DOD:S etc..

hemmy
04-22-06, 11:45 AM
neweggs top 5 sellers of the day have been all 5 nvidia every day for the last few months, what do i know though

OWA
04-22-06, 12:28 PM
...but, did you check http://shop.ati.com/ to see what was the best seller there? :)

leopard
04-23-06, 08:40 PM
Oh, I didn't mean to flame at all. Sorry if I've made you feel uncomfortable about my title. I own an 7900GT and happy with it (I used to be a fan of 3dfx with voodoo 3 2000 and always use nVidia for my rigs since they acquired 3dfx), no problem until now. But the fact that nVidia is 1 step behind the rival made me worry. I just want to share info with you - nVidia experts - to ensure my choice will never be a wrong one.

agentkay
04-23-06, 08:47 PM
The G80 will have HDR/AA and its not that far away. Nvidia has a well placed and priced product line. So from the financial point of view, they should be far from a knock out.