PDA

View Full Version : 360's CPU will get an upgrade

Pages : [1] 2

kaltek
04-21-06, 08:09 AM
"Chartered Semiconductor of Singapore, manufacturer of the Xbox360's CPU's, announced today that Microsoft will upgrade the CPU used in its Xbox 360 games console early next year."

http://selectivegamers.com/content/view/468/147/

|MaguS|
04-21-06, 08:18 AM
They will lower the die size to help its heat reduction and power consumption. No speed boost will come of this, the PS1 and PS2 did this aswell.

To think a speed increase is coming is just wishful dreaming since in reality it would hurt the console more thanks to splitting the market with people who have the new core and those that dont. I mean MS had to make sure all games work without the hard drive, imagine if they also had to tell developers that they have to make sure the game runs smooth on both versions of the cores... developers would leave in a heartbeat.

Superfly
04-21-06, 08:18 AM
ouch - bet thats really gonna p**s some 360 owners off!!!

what a slap in the face for those that got first gen 360's.

toxikneedle
04-21-06, 10:59 AM
I have heard this as far back as December, and like mentioned above, consoles have done this in the past, it's nothing new. I don't see how this would piss off first gen console owners, other than those who had problems.

Superfly
04-21-06, 11:00 AM
yeh my point is really aimed at those that did buy early and had problems with heat etc etc.

RAY16
04-21-06, 11:03 AM
And this is why I'm never an early adopter. I have no problem waiting a while for the kinks to be worked out.

Ruined
04-21-06, 12:11 PM
ouch - bet thats really gonna p**s some 360 owners off!!!

what a slap in the face for those that got first gen 360's.

No it isn't. These consoles with 65nm CPUs (that will be no different except in heat output) won't be available until mid to late 2007. I fail to see how a new revision of a console two years from launch is a "slap in the face." I think it would instead be "expected." :)

Superfly
04-21-06, 12:32 PM
No it isn't. These consoles with 65nm CPUs (that will be no different except in heat output) won't be available until mid to late 2007. I fail to see how a new revision of a console two years from launch is a "slap in the face." I think it would instead be "expected." :)

read my second post, my original comment was aimed at those with problems :)

Nv40
04-21-06, 12:39 PM

Still stand the message that MIcrosoft send to its consoles fans.. "STay away from our early consoles ,we will release better ones (bug free,less heat all other problems fixed ,a year later and for lower price"

early X360 users are non paid beta testers of their console. :)

Edge
04-21-06, 12:59 PM
Still stand the message that MIcrosoft send to its consoles fans.. "STay away from our early consoles ,we will release better ones (bug free,less heat all other problems fixed ,a year later and for lower price"

Pretty much all consoles are like that, lets not forget the NES's "blow your carts before you play them" method, turning your PS1 upsidedown to get it to recognize games, and the huge number of issues the PS2s had with breaking down (not to mention the crappy DVD playback which was improved in later versions). Plus there's the fact that Sony revised it's PS1 and PS2 multiple times, from making the slim line versions of them to adding the online adaptor later on, requiring people who bought the console before then to pay $40 for the network adaptor. And I'm not even going to count the number of complaints people had with the PSP when it was released.

About the only consoles that don't suffer from these problems are the cart-based ones from the 16 bit area and higher, and the Gamecube (they did manage to make that thing pretty sturdy for a disc based system).

toxikneedle
04-21-06, 01:01 PM
Well if anything, MS said that the fail rate of the 360 has been less than the consumer electronic average. They said it was only something like 6% (although correct me if i got the % wrong). Since it is impossible to ask every single person that has a 360, MS is the only reliable source for any of that information.... Therefore, technically the people having problems with 360 would be seen for any other consumer electronic product that comes out... including the PS3 and others...

|MaguS|
04-21-06, 03:02 PM
Well if anything, MS said that the fail rate of the 360 has been less than the consumer electronic average. They said it was only something like 6% (although correct me if i got the % wrong). Since it is impossible to ask every single person that has a 360, MS is the only reliable source for any of that information.... Therefore, technically the people having problems with 360 would be seen for any other consumer electronic product that comes out... including the PS3 and others...

MS also said that Windows 95 was the most advance and stable OS on the market...

toxikneedle
04-21-06, 03:17 PM
Well every company that ever existed has overhyped or "lied" about their products; sony, ms, nvidia, whoever..

ENU291
04-21-06, 03:43 PM
MS also said that Windows 95 was the most advance and stable OS on the market...
OUCH!!! low blow... all companies lie about there products at one time or another...but I have to admit that you have a point about Windows 95, that OS was crashtastic!!

GamerGuyX
04-21-06, 04:38 PM

Sony and it's PlayStation line are far worse in that regard.

Bad_Boy
04-21-06, 06:31 PM
Funny this news comes out like a day after cell goes on 65nm process. In any light, this should help with the heat/power problems a bit.

Mr. Hunt
04-21-06, 06:45 PM
Sony and it's PlayStation line are far worse in that regard.

And Nintendo takes the cake.

SH64
04-21-06, 06:48 PM
They will lower the die size to help its heat reduction and power consumption. No speed boost will come of this
Hmm in other article it says it might even increase speed although it stated thats uncommon :
Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing announced today that Microsoft expects to upgrade the X360 CPU somewhere early next year. by switching from 90nm to 65nm CPU chips it will reduce heat, power consumption, help reduce the overall cost, and potentially even increase speed.
http://worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=33595&mode=thread&order=0
The new 65nm technology is also capable of running software faster than that used in the existing Xbox 360 CPU, Chartered said. But the company did not state whether the CPU's performance when running software would be upgraded in any way to take advantage of this potential.

Am_I_Evil
04-21-06, 07:53 PM
And Nintendo takes the cake.

since when has Nintendo been known for hardware issues? :wtf:

or do you just take any shot you can at nintendo since you don't like them whether its actually factual or not?

Mathesar
04-21-06, 09:51 PM
I've had mine since launch with no problems whatsoever , currently have 70 hours logged in Oblivion :thumbsup:

Brimstone7
04-21-06, 09:57 PM
since when has Nintendo been known for hardware issues? :wtf:

or do you just take any shot you can at nintendo since you don't like them whether its actually factual or not?

I totally agree with the Nintendo statement. Other companies release new versions of their products that are virtually the same, maybe a new case or, like the 360, a new manufacturing process to reduce costs, lower heat, etc. Nintendo is notorious for releasing new Gameboy systems a few months apart that add brighter screens, bigger screens, different designs, etc. Surely the release of the DS Lite is more likely to piss off previous owners than releasing a "new" 360 that's exactly the same to everyone except for the manufacturers.

Am_I_Evil
04-21-06, 11:49 PM
I totally agree with the Nintendo statement. Other companies release new versions of their products that are virtually the same, maybe a new case or, like the 360, a new manufacturing process to reduce costs, lower heat, etc. Nintendo is notorious for releasing new Gameboy systems a few months apart that add brighter screens, bigger screens, different designs, etc. Surely the release of the DS Lite is more likely to piss off previous owners than releasing a "new" 360 that's exactly the same to everyone except for the manufacturers.

yeah..you're right about that...i guess i read the quoted post wrong...i thought he was just mentioning revisions because of bugginess,etc...while Nintendo releases lots of handheld revisions it usually has nothing to do with any kind of bugs...

evilchris
04-22-06, 02:36 AM
I've had mine since launch with no problems whatsoever , currently have 70 hours logged in Oblivion :thumbsup:

Same. Launch console. 12 games, no problems EVER, 26 hours in Oblivion, not a single hiccup.

Mr. Hunt
04-22-06, 03:08 AM
Same. Launch console. 12 games, no problems EVER, 26 hours in Oblivion, not a single hiccup.

Different for everybody... my 360 is running fine... but I used to see so many compaints about "DRE"s for the PS2, and I have had mine since launch with basically a billion hours clocked in on it and it will still boot any game I throw at it (as long as it was designed to play it ;)).

Son Goku
04-22-06, 05:35 AM
I mean MS had to make sure all games work without the hard drive, imagine if they also had to tell developers that they have to make sure the game runs smooth on both versions of the cores... developers would leave in a heartbeat.

They'd end up having to develop to the lowest common denominator, leaving the newer CPU mote. Unless it's marketed as a different console or something, just imagine the confussion this could cause shoppers as they're wondering "will this game work on my console? It says Xbox 360"...

Keeping in mind that many people on their PC, don't even know if they have an AMD or Intel chip (only knowing the MHz), let along the number that have no idea what chipset they have; such could add an extra layer of confusion to the minds of many customers