PDA

View Full Version : VGA as primary, DVI for projector => black TFT during boot

Idokras
04-21-06, 10:56 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the community - I just bought a Gigabyte 6600GT AGP card to replace my old Asus TI-4200 due to bad performance with HDTV material (low framerates). So far so good, the HDTV movies play with good framerates, but one bug remains. I tried to search in the forums, but so far I've only found a similar problem with Linux, not with XP.

I have my TFT hooked up via VGA and my Panasonic 900 projector via DVI. The projector is usually off during windows startups. If it is plugged in via DVI though I can only see the BIOS screen on the TFT, as soon as Windows is supposed to start up with its screen, it remains black, as if Windows tries the DVI port as its primary display (with the projector being off).

Only solution: Unplug the projector, let Windows recoginze the TFT on the VGA port as the only display so that the startup screen shows up, then plug in the HDMI/DVI cable.

With the old card, I did not have to unplug/replug the DVI-cable. Why now? Any solutions?

Thanks a lot!

Ced

merlin18x
04-21-06, 11:21 AM
One thing you might check is in Display Settings in windows (with both monitors on) see which display is marked as the primary display. Windows will attempt to load the startup screen and logon screen to the primary display. If thats the projector that could be the problem. I currently run dual monitors at work and occasionally i have to unhook the second one (which is my primary display in windows) and if i forget to change the settings before unhooking the monitor i see a blank blue screen once windows loads. I don't know a whole lot about the dual monitor setup, but you might check that out.

One other question:Are you extending your desktop across both displays or are you displaying the same to both displays?