PDA

View Full Version : confused, what should I buy?? ati, nvidia, oh no!

bugmage
04-21-06, 12:46 PM
all just $299 on newegg(pirate)

SAPPHIRE 100154SR Radeon X1800XT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16

SAPPHIRE 100134 Radeon X1800XT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card - OEM

XFX PV-T71G-UDE7 GeForce 7900 GT EXTREME (520MHz) 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

hmm ill own this card for about a year, the 7900 has more pipelines whitch is great, but the ati has 512 mb or memory, and allows hrd and AA! Im a nvidia fanboy but these are all the same price so im not shure where to go. Ive seen benchmarks go either way. Seems to me clock rates are better as i watch the grass sway in oblivions, but the ati is higher, but the nvidia is duel core! and overclocks better, oh, but me thinks the smaller piplines will hurt the benafit of the extra 256mb on the ati card

and finally im a slave to digital vibrance, do ati cards have that?

I just want performance, and reliablitly, will be using watercooling and overclocking, and im somewhat wondering about power draw as i have a 450w with dual 12v rail but who knows, someone told me my psu can run 2 6800gs in sli if that helps

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCompare.asp?SubCategory=48&CompareItemList=N82E16814102008%2CN82E16814102629% 2CN82E16814150139

I cant wait till huxley comes out, please try to say something constructive and unbiased, thanks!

Lfctony
04-21-06, 01:29 PM
I'd say the X1800XT 512MB. The extra memory makes the card a better investment. I'm guessing it's slightly faster than the o/ced 7900GT or perhaps equal, but the X1800XT will have the extra memory advantage. IMO...

OWA
04-21-06, 02:20 PM
and finally im a slave to digital vibrance, do ati cards have that?
Nope, no digital vibrance with ATI and ATI's CCC is a major pain but you can use alternative utilities to avoid having to use it. The 512 is desirable though.

Edit: Actually, I was wrong about digital vibrance. The Avivo saturation controls seems to provide the same thing. I thought it was only for video playback but it works in games as well.

bugmage
04-21-06, 08:16 PM
ccc?

anthonyl
04-21-06, 08:29 PM
I jumped ship from NVIDIA to ATI and purchased an X1900XTX..BOY WHAT A MISTAKE!!

The ATI drivers took a complete re-install of my OS ( 2 X ) to install properly and when they did they were as buggy as hell. Try re-installing other versions..what a nightmare. It took me a good 2 weeks of messing around to get it stable (nothing overclocked on my system).

True the performance was good but the headaches associated with it are not worth it.

Last week I purchased an XFX 7900GTX and just did a quick uninstall of the ATI drivers (used DC PRO as well) installed the Nvidia drivers (which installed on the FIRST GO) and have been trouble free ever since.

Next week I am purchasing another 7900GTX and will probably never look at an ATI card again!

OWA
04-22-06, 09:46 AM
ccc?
Catalyst Control Center. It is the control panel for their cards. It's very slow to load, doesn't support auto-loading of game profiles and it's buggy so I pretty much despise it. I've currently downloaded the low-bandwidth version of the drivers that is split into parts and just installed the drivers. I'm using ATI Tray Tools (a 3rd party tweaker) to do everything else with the card.

ViN86
04-22-06, 09:54 AM
personally, i would wait for the next gen cards, as vista seems to be around the corner, and it has some requirements for digital video and DX10 that current cards cant fulfill.

anthonyl
04-22-06, 07:56 PM
personally, i would wait for the next gen cards, as vista seems to be around the corner, and it has some requirements for digital video and DX10 that current cards cant fulfill.

The problem with that thinking is that there is "always something new around the corner."

If you always "hold on till the next gen" arrives then you will be stuck with your current hardware forever as there will always be something better on the horizon.

My attitude is...get whats best now and when the next gen arrives sell what you have and trade up...etc etc etc.

snowmanwithahat
04-23-06, 12:50 AM
yeh, personally i'd go with the 7900 GT, it proves to be extremely fast, outperforming even 7800 GTX 256mb cards

my experience with ATI is far less than desirable, their drivers have always seemed to be buggy, and i just don't care for it, the nvidia option on the other hand is just as fast and has better driver support

ViN86
04-23-06, 12:56 AM
The problem with that thinking is that there is "always something new around the corner."

If you always "hold on till the next gen" arrives then you will be stuck with your current hardware forever as there will always be something better on the horizon.

My attitude is...get whats best now and when the next gen arrives sell what you have and trade up...etc etc etc.
yea, but thats in terms of new hardware being released. im talkin about a new OS being released. you can trade up after vista has been out a while, but if you want to run vista the way its meant to be run out of the box, then id personally wait, and save the hassle of going through another upgrade sequence in a few months. (screw you 8th grade english teacher, run on sentences pwn.)

KickAssCop
04-23-06, 02:36 AM
X1800 Xt 512.

nutball
04-23-06, 03:28 AM
yea, but thats in terms of new hardware being released. im talkin about a new OS being released. you can trade up after vista has been out a while, but if you want to run vista the way its meant to be run out of the box, then id personally wait, and save the hassle of going through another upgrade sequence in a few months. (screw you 8th grade english teacher, run on sentences pwn.)

- Vista is 8 months away
- the first generation DX10 parts are quite likely to have non-performant implementations of DX10
- Vista will work fine with non-DX10 parts
- HDCP is only a problem if you need it (ie. not everyone watches DVDs on their PC, if you don't have the right monitor you're screwed anyway)
- Vista is 8 months away

and lastly

- who needs Vista anyway

To the OP: get both, try them both out, and sell the one you don't like on e-Bay (you should be able to get a good price for the 7900GT at least!). :D

ViN86
04-23-06, 03:02 PM
- Vista is 8 months away
- the first generation DX10 parts are quite likely to have non-performant implementations of DX10
- Vista will work fine with non-DX10 parts
- HDCP is only a problem if you need it (ie. not everyone watches DVDs on their PC, if you don't have the right monitor you're screwed anyway)
- Vista is 8 months away

and lastly

- who needs Vista anyway

To the OP: get both, try them both out, and sell the one you don't like on e-Bay (you should be able to get a good price for the 7900GT at least!). :D
well ppl work on different schedules. personally, i wont be upgrading my video for more than 8 months.

tieros
04-23-06, 03:28 PM
I'd either hold out for the X1900GT if you want to go ATi, or get the 7900GT. The R580 GPU is a much better part than the R520. IMHO, the X1900GT is going to be the shining star in ATI's lineup.