PDA

View Full Version : Plasmas TVs really that bad ?

Nv40
04-21-06, 01:46 PM
I have no doubt about the graphics that plasmas can achieve ,in many cases superior than many other new technologies used to achieve HDTV. but not sure anymore about durability of the product.

I was reading horror stories about early Plasmas that Burns and stop working in a short time.. about the "Ghost efect" . aparently newer Plasmas are better with those issues with anti-burn technology accordinly with some Plasma TECH sites that explain each technology draw backs.. Plasmas ,vs LCD ,versus DLP.

however just recently an owner of one told me ,that he bough a newer one few months ago of a very popular brand ,and got burned too in less than 100 days. i was shocked to hear that because i though the issue was more or less fixed with today plasmas. ARe they really that bad in quality?

Any plasma user here with good experience ?

Sazar
04-21-06, 01:50 PM
Newer technology helps out a lot. They don't burn-in like they used to, the half life is longer and a few other defects have been worked on and rectified or reduced to the point they are negligible.

You will still have issues and you really can't judge from seeing things in most stores because they don't tune everything equally.

There are pro's and con's for everything buddy.

Nv40
04-21-06, 01:58 PM
Newer technology helps out a lot. They don't burn-in like they used to, the half life is longer and a few other defects have been worked on and rectified or reduced to the point they are negligible.

You will still have issues and you really can't judge from seeing things in most stores because they don't tune everything equally.

There are pro's and con's for everything buddy.

did you have one?

How many years it has worked without problems for you?

I know enough about the features of each technology ,resolutions and even the basics of how they are made. so my question is more about of people real expereinces with them.

Sazar
04-21-06, 02:16 PM
I don't, I have an LCD.

My brother has both. His plasma looks nicer but his LCD is the one he uses more (it's in the living room).

The Plasma is in the game-room and since "response time" is better, games like NFS look pretty good.

I personally have not had a bad experience and since he lives 5 mins from work, I am there a fair bit :)

Weekends, we typically play some games.

He's had it about a year and a half.

Riptide
04-21-06, 03:29 PM
avsforums would also be a great source of info on this.

Redeemed
04-21-06, 03:47 PM
I've been wondering the same. I'm wanting to get a 40" Plasma (or 42", but 40" would be better due to space) for my computer- imagine gaming on that bad thing!

I was down at Sears yesterday looking at their TVs- and the plasma ones definitely looked better than the LCDs did, and they weren't that much more expensive either. But I've been afraid of getting one and having it take a dump on me VERY shortly after I purchased it.

evilghost
04-21-06, 03:54 PM
I own a 42" Phillips plasma, about ~4 years old. One DVI-D, one component, one S-Video, one composite, and two HD-15 VGA. No HDMI and no HDCP.

The screen will shift slightly (not noticible unless you're looking for it) ever ~5 minutes or so. This is part of the anti-burn technology.

Ended up dumping about $5K on it because the technology was so new. I got screwed considering today's prices but in retrospect it was a good deal at the time.

I did get "burn" when playing games with a HUD always in the same place (Halo, Halo2) for a very long time (3+ hours) however the burn always goes away watching TV naturally, nothing permanent. They also say you can remove the burn by tuning to a grey/gray screen.

The monitor I purchased as an in-store display at Best Buy and was ran about 24x7 for 1 year. I purchased the extended warranty on it and had to have the power supply replaced as it would overheat.

Other than that, zero issues. Does 480i/p 720p and 1080i. With a 160 degree viewing angle and excellent picture I'd take Plasma over LCD. Be advised they do produce a good deal of heat so you need proper airflow and breathing space.

Riptide
04-21-06, 04:01 PM
I like plasma except 1080p will cost you a fortune.

sirplayalot
04-21-06, 05:07 PM
I am also looking to replace my old 32" CRT TV. I was wondering if I should go DLP, Plasma or LCD...or I-DLA or whatever that is...

Shaitan
04-22-06, 09:58 AM
I won`t be buying into plasma at all. Ya ever notice how they NEVER use fast left to right transition vids to show them off? Nope. It is always some nice slow moving scenic scene with the detail way off in the distance away from the screens.

Or some nice flowers close up, water scenes etc, and they are slow moving as well. VERY slow. Why? Cause of the ghosting and dot crawl problems. They cannot faithfully reproduce really fast moving movie content without that ghost shiz. At least, I have not seen one that can. I`d sooner go with a nice LCD monitor truthfully. But then ya gotta hope to God ya don`t get a bad pixel.

For now I will stick with my Hitachi 51" UltraVision.

Nutty
04-22-06, 10:22 AM
I won`t be buying into plasma at all. Ya ever notice how they NEVER use fast left to right transition vids to show them off? Nope. It is always some nice slow moving scenic scene with the detail way off in the distance away from the screens.

Or some nice flowers close up, water scenes etc, and they are slow moving as well. VERY slow. Why? Cause of the ghosting and dot crawl problems. They cannot faithfully reproduce really fast moving movie content without that ghost shiz. At least, I have not seen one that can. I`d sooner go with a nice LCD monitor truthfully. But then ya gotta hope to God ya don`t get a bad pixel.

For now I will stick with my Hitachi 51" UltraVision.

Thats bollox, my flatemate has a Pioneer plasma and theres no ghosting in movies, fast action sequence tv, or games either. It looks awesome.

Riptide
04-22-06, 10:23 AM
Gonna be pretty tough to notice a dead pixel on a TV.

Even the single dead pixel on mine - you have to be looking for it to see it and even then it's impossible to find it when you're a few feet back or watching TV on the couch.

evilghost
04-22-06, 10:20 PM
Thats bollox, my flatemate has a Pioneer plasma and theres no ghosting in movies, fast action sequence tv, or games either. It looks awesome.

I'll second this, I have zero motion blurs inclusive of very fast action video and gaming. I cannot see the difference between response time in my plasma or the Sony CRT we have in the bedroom. However, I can easily see the difference in motion blur/response time in a LCD versus a CRT monitor.

I've also played UT2004 (likely the most fast-paced game in existance) on the 42" plasma after playing many many hours on my 21" Sony Trinitron CRT and I cannot tell any difference and I'm hyper-sensitive to such blur. If I game on an LCD I feel like I'm partially drunk due to the motion blur.

hordaktheman
04-24-06, 11:02 AM
Depends on the connection. When I first saw my dad's 42" 480p plasma, which was hooked up through RGB SCART, I was thoroughly unimpressed. A couple of months later I brought my modded Xbox and hooked it up w/ component cables and ran a few DivX movies, DVDs and games in progressive scan, and it completely blew my own (damn good) 720p LCD TV away.

Mind you, that's 480p EDTV vs. 720p HDTV. I even ran some hi-def trailers and I think I might even give the edge to the plasma despite the lower native resolution.

As for image retention, I got a bad scare when I was setting his plasma up, as there was a white set up screen while the set top box was updating it's firmware, but it went away a couple of minutes afterwards. It's a danger during the early life (100 hours or so) of a plasma, but as it was a couple of months old when I hooked up my Xbox, and even though I played for quite a few hours it left no trace of retention or other artifacts.