PDA

View Full Version : ati AA & HDR, or Nvidia Digital Vibrance, what do you suggest?

bugmage
04-22-06, 01:48 AM
so im looking at the x800xl and the 7900 gt, both are great cards and should handle anything my 19 inch 1280 1024 res lcd can toss at them, so my lcd is in a diy projector and right now im a fanboy of digital vibrance, if you dont know what I mean, play oblivion, turn it up to 75% or 100%, and play it again, woderfull. So do you think the AA HDR would be better than digital vibrance?

also do you think nvidia will allow you to have both on, via a driver update someday?

im thinking games will go towards more cpu, aka grass and hair than better textures 64 bit, but i might be wrong, all i know is that with my 6800gs oblivion never pauses when "loading" comes up on the screen (nana2)

im thinking right now ati is the faster card, but again, hmmm

smallSHEEP
04-22-06, 06:51 AM
so im looking at the x800xl and the 7900 gt, both are great cards and should handle anything my 19 inch 1280 1024 res lcd can toss at them, so my lcd is in a diy projector and right now im a fanboy of digital vibrance, if you dont know what I mean, play oblivion, turn it up to 75% or 100%, and play it again, woderfull. So do you think the AA HDR would be better than digital vibrance?

x800XL can't run HDR it's a PS2.0 part.

edit : do you mean x1800XL?

also do you think nvidia will allow you to have both on, via a driver update someday?

No it's a hardware limitation

im thinking games will go towards more cpu, aka grass and hair than better textures 64 bit, but i might be wrong,

You could be right or wrong, I honestly have no idea what you're on about. :)

|MaguS|
04-22-06, 07:51 AM
x800XL can't run HDR it's a PS2.0 part.

edit : do you mean x1800XL?

Even if he means x800XL, it still can run HDR depending on how its implemented. A SM2.0 Card can run HDR in HL2 with AA on.

particleman
04-22-06, 10:07 AM

im thinking games will go towards more cpu, aka grass and hair than better textures 64 bit, but i might be wrong, all i know is that with my 6800gs oblivion never pauses when "loading" comes up on the screen (nana2)

im thinking right now ati is the faster card, but again, hmmm

ATi does have a color saturation slider in CCC on all X1XXX cards so if you get a X1800 then you would have a saturation slider which does the same thing as digital vibrance. However, if that wasn't a typo and you really mean a X800 XL then it has neither FP16 HDR + AA or the color saturation slider.

Knot3D
04-22-06, 10:11 AM
I hate Digital Vibrance, so I'd suggest Ati's AA + HDR.

smallSHEEP
04-22-06, 10:39 AM
Even if he means x800XL, it still can run HDR depending on how its implemented. A SM2.0 Card can run HDR in HL2 with AA on.

I presumed he was talking about Elder Scrolls 4 : Oblivion though?

OWA
04-22-06, 10:57 AM
I hate Digital Vibrance, so I'd suggest Ati's AA + HDR.
He's use to using it though and I doubt having AA with the HDR will make up for the color difference. That is, once you get use to DV, it's hard to go without it.

bugmage
04-22-06, 11:38 AM
elder scrools yes
card = SAPPHIRE 100134L Radeon X1800XT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

(or other $300 ish card from newegg)

as im understanding now it can run
HDR, AA, and color saturation(digital vibrance) at the same time?

Ive read that CCC is crappy, how does it compaire to digital vibrance?
and hell yeas its hard to go without it :)

OWA
04-22-06, 11:59 AM
The CCC's color controls aren't the same as digital vibrance. They just provide the standard color sliders like the ones in the Nvidia control panel. If you play with all 3 colors sliders and the brightness and contrast controls, you can almost get the same effect as digital vibrance. It can take a while b/c you're having to deal with so many sliders instead of just one though. Plus, I've never been able to get it looking quite the same although I've gotten it close. I gave up on trying to do that with my ATI card though since I liked different settings for different games and it took too long trying to set it for each one. Plus, then I started losing settings in the CCC (color controls being reset, AA/AF settings not getting applied, etc.) so I removed the CCC. ATI Tray Tools provides a lot of the functionality that the Nvidia CP provides though so it's a pretty nice 3rd party utility.

Yeah, the X1800 can use HDR + AA + color settings. Looking at ATI Tray Tools, it looks like you can save the color sliders, brightness, and constrast settings as a profile. I don't see a way to associate it with a profile but if you use the same color settings for all games it wouldn't be an issue. Or, you could create a few different color profiles and just manually select it before running the game.

bugmage
04-22-06, 12:38 PM
ok, well hmm, the ati card was more power and more memory, but i think ill get the 7900, as it has newer tech and digital vibrance, whitch will be great for my projector as you lose color depth with projections sometimes.

does ccc have one slider labled color saturation?

and also theres a lot more with digital vibrance, it blends things (i think) making your games really glow, my guy in oblivion has a red aura around him lol, its crazy

OWA
04-22-06, 12:42 PM
Hold on and I'll give you a screenshot of what the CCC provides.

Henno
04-22-06, 12:43 PM
The CCC's color controls aren't the same as digital vibrance.

Take a look in the CCC > 'Monitor Properties' > 'Avivo color', here you find a "hue" and "saturation" slider. It does exactly the same thing as Nv's digital vibrance.
Only X1K has this option, not the older sm2.0 cards.

CCC image (http://members.chello.nl/h.appel1/CCC.jpg)

keith33
04-22-06, 12:45 PM
I would go for the overall faster card: 7900. The card that doesn't sound like a drill in your ear at full fan speed: 7900. The card that has full Linux support incase you're done with Windows after Vista is released: 7900. The card that allows you to post questions on a good forum like this one instead of the flamers on Rage: 7900.

The card that makes you cool, gives you cone, tucks you in at night, and makes you feel tingly inside: 7900. I rest my case. :)

OWA
04-22-06, 12:53 PM
Actually, I stand corrected. I initially thought particleman was totally off-the-mark but the Avivo color controls do provide a saturation setting and using that, it's a little easier to get closer to my digital vibrance setting. I hadn't tried that since I thought it was just for video playback.

Edit:
Take a look in the CCC > 'Monitor Properties' > 'Avivo color', here you find a "hue" and "saturation" slider. It does exactly the same thing as Nv's digital vibrance.
Only X1K has this option, not the older sm2.0 cards.
Yeah, I just discovered that after installing the 6.4s with the CCC and trying it.

Edit 2: After using the saturation setting, I have it looking pretty much the same on both computers.

bugmage
04-22-06, 06:26 PM
ok so the X1800XT would have color saturation then

now you say the 7900 is faster but like other forums mention most benchmarks use catalist 6.1, and ones that use the new versions show the X1800XT beating the 7900, so never owning an ati card im still a little worried, also does ati use the same mounting style as the 6800gs? I will be watercooling the card, and also 4500 what for the sytem down in my sig should be fine for the X1800XT?

i figure my projector runs at 1280 by yada, so these cards should blast throught any games at max settings at that res, so now its just picture quality, and if i can set up aa to max and hdr and digital vibrance then ill go with the ati cards

I might pay more for the video in card, hows atis software for that?

russofris
04-22-06, 08:20 PM
For Oblivion, I would recommend going with ATI's 1000 series, as they can do HDR+AA. I went with Nvidia because I run linux, but have an XP partition for Oblivion.

I run Oblivion with HDR enabled at 1280x1024 and the jaggies are certainly noticable. With Boom+AA, the lighting is less than optimal. Tis ashame, because it's a nice looking game.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo