PDA

View Full Version : Will 3 Gigs of Ram help any over 2 Gigs

john19055
04-22-06, 03:41 AM
I know it will not help in performance but will it help in game sudders.

CaptNKILL
04-22-06, 04:04 AM
Not in current games. No way.

Itd probably hurt overall performance as well because youd have to sacrifice something (dual channel, ram timings, command rate etc) to get 3 gigs working.

Son Goku
04-22-06, 06:16 AM
As long as you're dealing with a 32-bit OS, and 32-bit software (games), those 3 GB's wouldn't be entirely addressable to your game...

The 4 GB address space is divided between the system, and the application, and not all will be available to your prog...

FearMeAll
04-22-06, 11:09 AM
I have 4 gigs installed and XP only uses 2.7 gigs of it. I don't care I haven't noticed real world performance drop from going to 2t timings and when VISTA comes out it will work on all 4 gigs. But when I got it I had a lot of cash lying around and no for right now it is not worth the upgrade. I did it because I could. Not always a good reason.
I would still recommend 2 gigs until next year.

$n][pErMan
04-22-06, 12:40 PM
IF you are getting suttering with your setup I woulf fix your computer. My setup is not top of the line by far anymore but ever sence I went to 2 gigs awhile back I have had 0 stuttering in any game (And I am always running things on full). Might be a driver issue for you IMO.

jolle
04-22-06, 01:10 PM
2 Gb will suffice, I wouldnt recommend buying any expensive RAM now since AM2 is just around the corner and with that the move to DDR2.
Hence I bought a budget 2gb kit myself, until next upgrade when I can hopefully afford more.
I think 1.5Gb will carry you a long way, but for dual channel that is a bit tricky hehe..
Most games that DO push the entire load above 1gb, prolly dont go too far above the line, havent checked tho.

john19055
04-24-06, 01:00 AM
I just have it laying around and was wondering if it done any good.,but I can't tell that it done anything except that I had to lower my timeing to 2T ,so I will just stick with my 2 gigs.

superklye
04-24-06, 01:28 AM
[pErMan']IF you are getting suttering with your setup I woulf fix your computer. My setup is not top of the line by far anymore but ever sence I went to 2 gigs awhile back I have had 0 stuttering in any game (And I am always running things on full). Might be a driver issue for you IMO.
Holy crap...you're still cruising on that AXP? That's awesome man!

$n][pErMan
04-24-06, 01:36 AM
Holy crap...you're still cruising on that AXP? That's awesome man!
hell ya man ... and im very surpsied by it too. I thought I would have been forced to 64bit by now to keep playing everything on high with good FPS. But not yet! I still play everything on full and always on 1280x1024 with 4xAA and 8xAF. I tell you... at 2.54Ghz this is one insanely solid CPU. :D BTW.. when i got FEAR last month I also played that at 1280x1024 with everything on full... I had to take the AA down to 2x but even so... it ran perfectly smooth 99% of the time. GG AMD ;) More reason for me to wait till AM2 vs. Conroe and see how it all plays out before my next massive upgrade as I am not yet hurting :)

john19055
04-24-06, 11:14 AM
I have been doing some benchmarks with 3gigs and the timeing set to 2T,I thought there was a big difference from 1T to 2T but I am finding out that it is not very much difference at all. I ran then with my CPU at default,the only thing that was changed was the 1T with 2gigs and 2T with 3gigs.
2001se 1T-28,749 2003 1T-27,841 AM3 1T-90,457
2001se 2T-28,223 2003 2T-27,603 AM3 2T-90,828

Monolyth
04-24-06, 12:20 PM
I have 4 gigs installed and XP only uses 2.7 gigs of it. I don't care I haven't noticed real world performance drop from going to 2t timings and when VISTA comes out it will work on all 4 gigs. But when I got it I had a lot of cash lying around and no for right now it is not worth the upgrade. I did it because I could. Not always a good reason.
I would still recommend 2 gigs until next year.

I'm sorry to say that you will first need to upgrade your chipset and/or processor. The 4GB memory limitation on A64 also suffers from limitations on the southbridge.

Ie. You have 4GB's of physical RAM, but you have 2x512MB PCI-E parts, this will drop your available physical memory down to 3GB's before you ever make it into windows. Additional devices on the PCI-E bus will cause additional loss of available physical memory.

This kind of erked me off but it is survival for the time being, when Vista comes out I am hoping 4GB (2GBx2) DDR2-1000 sticks are available, at which time I will cap myself @ 8GB on a Conroe w/SLI mmm. And even if I lose 1GB to any resource limitations I will still have at least 6.5+GB's to play with :)

Poice!

nIghtorius
04-26-06, 11:09 AM
there is a simple way to find out when adding additional memory will help you out..

first. do a fresh boot of your system. play the games you want to play.. when you're done. launch task manager (ctrl+alt+del).

under the tab 'Performance' find the section 'Memory usage (kB)' and look for peak. if your peak exceeds your total physical memory then adding additional memory will help you out. otherwise it does not help you out..

considering the total amount of memory you have.. I don't think it will help you out. you might try checking your disk for fragmentation and defragment when needed.

fps_dean
04-26-06, 11:51 AM
Try this...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81429

That should solve the problem entirely.