PDA

View Full Version : Stock AMD CPU fan failing.

Neophyte
04-22-06, 05:54 AM
Yesterday i played a good 2 hour session of F.E.A.R.

When i went back to the desktop i wanted to look for the temps, but found out my CPU fan was only spinning 880RPM.

I could slap on a new fan to replace it, but maybe it's better to slap on a new heatsink with it.

So can someone recommend me a good Socket 939 Heatsink for an 4800+ processor ?

F.E.A.R. Killed my Fan:bleh:

smallSHEEP
04-22-06, 05:58 AM
It could be reading incorrect, have you opened up the case to have a look?

Neophyte
04-22-06, 06:02 AM
It could be reading incorrect, have you opened up the case to have a look? Yes i opened it, and when i touch it with my finger it stops with little force applyed. My Bios give's the same reading, and temps were after i left f.e.a.r. 51 Degrees Celcius. (never would be this high)

When i enter the bios on bootup... i see the fan spinning @ 2000 RPM (Should be 2800) I see it dropping fast to 800+- RPM.

Neophyte
04-22-06, 08:44 AM
Ahhhh Fixed it (nana2)

SOmehow, don't ask me how. Smart CPU Fan Target had it'self Enebled in the Bios and set to 60 Degrees Celcius.... Disabled it and all works fine again...

How did i check ? Well i had a spare fan lying around so i slapped it on, and tadaa it did the same as the stock amd cooler... so i thought that my CPU header died. The fan i tested was controlable with a knob, and @ full speed it was slowely lowering in RPM (pirate)

Anyway's all works fine again, and i think i keep the fan with Led lights (Aldo it's blue and the rest of my fans Green ^^)

grey_1
04-22-06, 10:53 AM
If you ever do replace the stock I can highly recommend Zalman's cnps9500. Temps on an oc'd a643500 (2.55ghz) never went over 42c. Very quiet as well.

Neophyte
04-22-06, 11:34 AM
If you ever do replace the stock I can highly recommend Zalman's cnps9500. Temps on an oc'd a643500 (2.55ghz) never went over 42c. Very quiet as well.

That doesn't sound much impressive when this stock cpu cooler is @ 35c. and never get's over 40. (maybe in the summer, but we'll see then :)) Thnx for the tip and will look into the Zalman range when time come's.

GlowStick
04-22-06, 12:32 PM
glad to hear the issue was resolved,

However if the fan really dose die and your still whithin your warrenty amd/intel have allways gladly replaced my heatsinks no questions asked/ship back required if you just call and ask.

Neophyte
04-22-06, 01:11 PM
glad to hear the issue was resolved,

However if the fan really dose die and your still whithin your warrenty amd/intel have allways gladly replaced my heatsinks no questions asked/ship back required if you just call and ask. That's nice to hear :)

grey_1
04-22-06, 01:57 PM
That doesn't sound much impressive when this stock cpu cooler is @ 35c. and never get's over 40. (maybe in the summer, but we'll see then :)) Thnx for the tip and will look into the Zalman range when time come's.

I hear ya, however I got that reading under full load, ambient 70f in the room. I've been on a 'quiet' kick and that was one of the last temps I recorded b4 going to water. Glad yours is all set tho.

Neophyte
04-22-06, 02:06 PM
I hear ya, however I got that reading under full load, ambient 70f in the room. I've been on a 'quiet' kick and that was one of the last temps I recorded b4 going to water. Glad yours is all set tho. Yeah allready thought so :)
Ohh well, im glad all works fine again.

I thought about water cooling too when i had a Chieftec fulltower back in the day's, and allready bought a Blackice 2 (2120mm) radiator that time.. But the rest never came :( . Maybe that's about to change :D and willing to get the watercooler lian li capable case for it :) (dunno if it will al fit in my current PC-7A Plus)

but that's not im my planning right now. First the X-fi, then 2 gig's of OCZ or G-Skill (nana2)