PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about going for water cooling

a12ctic
04-23-06, 11:57 AM
This summer i think i want to get water cooling for my box, the specs are in my sig, i would like to see how far i can push my processor. I would like both my processor and graphics card to be cooled with water, nothing eles. Any suggestions on what i should get?

PSYCHODAD
04-23-06, 12:43 PM
I'm new to WCooling myself. Just ordered a Koolance Exos for my cpu. Don't know how good it'll be though. Should be here this coming week.

pkirby11
04-23-06, 01:04 PM
I'm new to WCooling myself. Just ordered a Koolance Exos for my cpu. Don't know how good it'll be though. Should be here this coming week.

I know most would say the Exos isn't hardcore watercooling, but I can tell you I just got one last week and I've been nothing but happy with it. My CPU doesn't seem to run on idle to much cooler than stock, probably about 5 to 10C cooler which isn't bad. As for the GPU's, I run two x1900s in crossfire and under load I was hitting 76C and idle was about 56C, now I idle at 43C and load at about 48C to 56C at tops. The nice thing about water cooling is that you don't always see lower temps at idle but when things heat up the temps stay lower.

The exos-2 is very nice, no worrys about setting up the pump, radiators, or resiovior it's all their in a nice external kit. I had plenty of tubing and no worry of leaks, it went so well and my noise level has dropped greatly. Best investment I ever made, a bit pricy but worth it. I only wish Koolance would include a water block for the kit at the price they sell them. Short of that it's great. :D

As to the OP as to what you should get, it depends on your taste I guess. First off, what kind of CPU and GPU will you be cooling? Then I guess the question would be how daring are you? Most do it yourself jobs, like ones from Danger Den will require possible mods to your case. So if you don't mind a little cutting of the case, you probably could get by better with just doing it your self. You can get the right type of components to match what your cooling. If your like me though and you want a decrease in temps and fan noise, but are a little turned off by cutting and modding your case I'd go external. It's a lot easier and seems to be holding up quite nicely.

I'd answer those two questions first, then decide whats best for you. I find Koolance to make easy well designed products. I'm using an Exos-2 right now with a CPU0-300-V10 block and two VID-200-L06 GPU blocks. So far it's been a nice setup and I can't complain. It was a bit pricey though. Look around out their and find some ideas you'd like to go with, then research them to hell and you can't go wrong. I spent an entire weekend just googleing and doing research and almost bought 2 different systems before settling on Koolance.

Some good sites to start with:
www.koolance.com
www.dangerden.com
www.thermaltake.com
www.frozencpu.com
www.swiftnets.com

So that should get you started, look around on FrozenCPUs site and look at some of the kits and blocks that are out their. See what you like and what you want to do, Danger Den has forums and videos on how to install their systems, should give you an idea on how to mod a case and see if you like the idea. Good luck and if you have any more questions feel free to ask, I'll do my best to help out. :D