PDA

View Full Version : Using Arctic coolers for SLI on KN8

balex99
04-24-06, 02:48 AM
I am wanting to use the Arctic coolers on my 7800GT's to quiet them down a bit plus move the heat out of the case but I am concerned of the space. My Abit KN8 only has one slot in between the 7800's and one slot between card 2 and my Audigy. Has anyone seen this configuration? Will it work ok? Not sure if there is enough space for the fans to get any air. What got me to looking again was seeing the quad sli config with the cards all next to each other. I guess those work ok. Just want to see if anyone is using this or seen it.

Q
04-24-06, 03:19 AM
It just isn't going to happen dude. I thought that the NV Silencers were only supposed to take up ONE additional slot. In practice, however, you'll find that the fan on the Silencer has a dome for a center. This dome pushes down and will hit anything sticking out that far in the SECOND additional slot....like another 7800 video card.

I've got the board and the bottom line is that the NV Silencers will not work for both cards. You could only put one on the bottom card, while you could stick a Zalman solution on the top. In that situation, I hope you have good case cooling.

balex99
04-25-06, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the info. Guess will have to just deal with the noise. Not that bad though. Seems like someone would make a cooler that would pull air from the end of the card and expel it out the expansion slot that way it could be right next to another card and not interfere with the cooling.

SLippe
04-25-06, 10:21 PM
Yeah, I don't get these cooling solutions by card manufacturers these days.

jAkUp
04-25-06, 11:45 PM
The new Silencers will work. The old ones will not :(

Q
04-25-06, 11:48 PM
The new Silencers will work. The old ones will not :(

Whatcha mean? Is there a Revision 4 out? Or are you talking about those Accelero bastards? I know they are supposed to cool better, but if you don't have AWESOME air circulation they are going to run a lot hotter than the old silencers...especially in SLI.

jAkUp
04-25-06, 11:51 PM
Actually, I am talking about the Accelero. But they are damn ugly IMO..haha I prefer the old Silencers

balex99
04-26-06, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the idea of the Accelero Jakup. Found a review where they used them in an Abit AN8 with SLI. Temps were still good(although a tight fit). Ordered a pair today.

Thanks again