PDA

View Full Version : Video Card Running 75 Degrees!!!!!What can I do?

cj11bball
04-24-06, 07:00 PM
I have just purchased an asus n6800/td/512mb vid card and I love it, the only problem is it runs super HOT and I dont want to lose life on the card. I downloaded a PC Monitor program and it shows the gpu at 75 degrees idle and up to 81 degrees when playing the game! I am not sure if I can fit another fan. It comes with a stock fan but i guess it doesnt do very well. What is the average temp for a gpu? Also I downloaded coolbits, and added it to my registry(i guess i did it right) but no other options opened up as far as I know. What else can I do? Also with the temp that high, and if it does damage the vid card, will it hurt any of the rest of the PC(MOBO, HD, etc). PLEASE help me with any advice you might have. Thanks!

rflair
04-24-06, 07:07 PM
'PC monitoring program', which one?

You should just use the nv control panel temperture monitoring and run rthdribl.exe (use google to search for it) and wait about 1/2 hour to find max temp. You could also use ATItool to do this also as it monitors the temperature itself and also runs one of the most demanding 3D tests.

jcniest5
04-24-06, 08:45 PM
Well, if you want to see if you can do anything about it w/o buying new cooler, I would recommend taking off the stock cooler and clean the stock goo/thermal compound and apply AS5 or similar product and see if you could get your card to run cooler. I got mine to run 10-13 degrees cooler that way, so I strongly recommend it. Just be careful when you unscrew the cooler/fan from the video card. If you damage it in anyway, I'm not responsble, just so you know. But it's not that hard anyway, so...

tacos4me
04-24-06, 09:25 PM
Do you have sufficient airflow in/out of your case? Try taking the side panel of your case off, and see if that makes a difference in your card's temperature.

I am not sure if I can fit another fan.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you mean fit another case fan? You could just have poor airflow in your case, in which case more intake/exhaust fans would help you out. Or it could be the card's HSF isn't making great contact with the GPU. See if taking the side panel off makes a difference. :D

jAkUp
04-24-06, 10:02 PM
Yea, take off the stock cooler, then reapply to make sure it is making proper contact.

Clay
04-24-06, 10:08 PM
You could first just try tightening the heat sink down a bit more (just another turn or so on each mounting screw).

oC|-TiTaN
04-24-06, 10:52 PM
Slap an ATI sticker on it and be happy :lol:

KickAssCop
04-25-06, 01:35 AM
Slap an ATI sticker on it and be happy :lol:
Rofl.

bkswaney
04-25-06, 01:38 AM
Make sure the fan/heatsink is clean of dust and all.
My card will get superhot of it gets dusty.

thevoid
04-25-06, 05:37 AM
Well I`d say don`t worry about those temps. In fact it`s OK if the
temps are below 100 grades celsius. Just check in the NV control panel
and see what`s the temperature threshold for the core. It`s 127 grades
celsius I think. So if everyting is working and you get no strange artifacts
in games, you shouldn`t worry.

rflair
04-25-06, 05:51 AM
Well I`d say don`t worry about those temps. In fact it`s OK if the
temps are below 100 grades celsius. Just check in the NV control panel
and see what`s the temperature threshold for the core. It`s 127 grades
celsius I think. So if everyting is working and you get no strange artifacts
in games, you shouldn`t worry.

75c on idle is ok, are you nuts? :) I don't think he took proper load temps also, cause 81c is to low a temperture delta to assume full load when 75c is your idle.

|MaguS|
04-25-06, 05:55 AM
Check for dust and make sure your case has enough intake and exaust. Could be that your not removig the hot air from your case.

thevoid, 75C on idle is insane. It wont damage the card but its abnormally high. Im running SLi and both my cards are at 45C...

Peoples-Agent
04-25-06, 06:32 AM
What spec PSU do you have?
Just curious, seen on those cards a few times, when the PSU isnt quite upto the job they get toasty.

loafer87gt
04-25-06, 10:47 AM
Maybe other cards are different, but BFG told me that up to 120C is perfectly normal for 6800 cards. When I was having system lockups and artifacting problems I thought that the high temps (high 80's idle, up to ~115 + under load) might be responsible. BFG told me that their cards are rated for such high temps and that the problem was somewhere else in my system. I was finally able to bring my temps down by lowering my GPU core speed from the deafult of 370 down to 330. Now my card runs around high sixties under idle and is mostly artifact free unless I try to play something really graphically intensive.

|MaguS|
04-25-06, 11:18 AM
120C is the max before the card fries but its not normal to be at 75C, Don't believe BFG. They just want to hold you off on RMAing as long as possible... If you had to lower your clocks from default to run stable then its the cards problem... If the card was OC'd by you and it's unstable then its clocked to high but NEVER is it ok for a stock card to be over 50C and/or artifacting/Crashing.

If anyone ever has such problem... RMA it instantly. Don't let the company talk you into holding onto it longer. If you let them then they know they can release faulty products.

Medion
04-25-06, 12:51 PM
Despite what some say here, 75 degrees is fine. Poorly ventilated cases can sometimes cause a GPU to hit up to 100 degrees under load. My old gateway with a 9800XT ran at 90 degrees under load for 2 years before I finally got rid of it.

So many people here build their own systems and are used tobeing at under 60 degrees. It's called being spoiled. My current setup runs at 54 degrees under load. Hey, it's great, but it's also not rquired for smooth operation.

If it's 75 under idle though, as mentioned, make sure that your case ventilation is fine. If your card cannot rund at it's advertised core/memory speeds, regardless of temps, RMA it. You should never have to downclock a card to make it run correctly.

Grechie
04-25-06, 12:53 PM
my gpu is around the 50 mark, (53 wen really hot in room) on idel and 81 degrees on ati tool full load....

loafer87gt
04-25-06, 12:59 PM
120C is the max before the card fries but its not normal to be at 75C, Don't believe BFG. They just want to hold you off on RMAing as long as possible... If you had to lower your clocks from default to run stable then its the cards problem... If the card was OC'd by you and it's unstable then its clocked to high but NEVER is it ok for a stock card to be over 50C and/or artifacting/Crashing.

If anyone ever has such problem... RMA it instantly. Don't let the company talk you into holding onto it longer. If you let them then they know they can release faulty products.

Yeah, you wouldn't believe how many hoops a guy has to jump through to try and RMA a card. First off, I was told that I have to replace my Enermax EPS power supply (36A on 12V line) with a different unit, only to find that this made no difference, then I was told that it was likely because of the heat generated by dual processor setup (which run at 45 degress tops under load!!), then I was told it because I had my IRQ settings set up incorrectly. After mucking around with IRQ settings as per their suggestions, I totally hosed my XP, forcing a complete Windows reinstall. Following your guys suggestions, I then checked the card itself to see if the heatsink was seated properly, (it wasn't - the thermal pads were not making any contact), but after informing BFG of this I was told that because I had physically modified the cooler they could no longer offer me any warranty service. :(

cj11bball
04-25-06, 04:45 PM
Ok here are my PC stats: AMD 64 3000+, Gigabyte Mobo GA-K8NSV-939 K8 Triton NForce 3 Chipset, 160GB Hard Drive(SATA), Samsung CD burner, 1GB Ram, 450 watt PSU(not sure what kind). Removing my CPU from under my desk helped to bring temps down about 5 degrees total when idle and when playing games. It runs around 69 degrees idle, and 74-75 degrees when playing AOE3. RivaTuner: Core Clock-324, Memory Clock-540, Core VID - Non Dimensional- 1.00....by the way I have no idea what any of this means =) Nividia Tuner/Monitor: CPU 32 when idle and 39 when gaming, System 29 when idle and 36 when gaming, and GPU 69 when idle and 74 when gaming. Also I havent tried the AS5 because i will prolly screw something up, any other alternatives? Also, since I have brought my PC to a cooler place and it's more out in the open, could I just put a fan in front of it and let it blow while I play so it doesnt get super hot? Thanks for the help everyone, this forum has been great! Also does my PC seem decent or I guess what I am asking is what should be upgraded?

dragon_heart
04-27-06, 05:38 AM
GO and try for NV silencer 5 as they well sit for 6800 series
my former one had 38 idle and 55 full load

nice heat sink and cheap for the performance

I recommend you to use thermal paste loke artic silver 5 and wait some time before it is effective