PDA

View Full Version : Where to get new 7900 AGP cards?

Pages : [1] 2

Gameoverplaye2
04-24-06, 10:43 PM
Any links to where to order the new 7900 AGP cards?

Is Gainward the only one offering these?

Thank You NV for the BridgeChip!

MindBlank
04-25-06, 03:11 AM
They're not 7900 cards.

The new card is a 512 MB 7800GS that now has a G70 with its full 24 pipes enabled.

It's clocked 450 mhz for the core and 1250 mhz for the memory which essentially makes it a 7900GT.

I haven't heard of a 7900GT/GTX for AGP though...

Airbrushkid
04-25-06, 03:48 AM
Well you missed this then. Got to look harder.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20060417161918.html

They're not 7900 cards.

The new card is a 512 MB 7800GS that now has a G70 with its full 24 pipes enabled.

It's clocked 450 mhz for the core and 1250 mhz for the memory which essentially makes it a 7900GT.

I haven't heard of a 7900GT/GTX for AGP though...

JamesDax
04-25-06, 05:49 AM
My understanding is that Gainward was only making about 1500 of them. I think I read the eVGA was making some but I don't remember where.

MindBlank
04-25-06, 07:44 AM
Yes, Gainward are making only 1500 of them. They probably are shamelessly overpriced.

Joe Public
04-25-06, 08:31 AM
According to this page (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_7800_Series_363.html#agx_2d030_2d gw
) it sells for £350 incl. VAT. (third card down). That would be around US$625 or 500 euros. Way too much.

AthlonXP1800
04-25-06, 09:01 AM
According to this page (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_7800_Series_363.html#agx_2d030_2d gw
) it sells for £350 incl. VAT. (third card down). That would be around US$625 or 500 euros. Way too much.

:lol: £350 for a Gainward 7900 GT AGP card clocked 450MHz core is the biggest joke I ever seen. For £350 will be better off with XFX Geforce 7900 GTX 512Mb PCI Express card clocked 650MHz core.

Gameoverplaye2
04-25-06, 05:58 PM
Yes, Gainward are making only 1500 of them. They probably are shamelessly overpriced.

Err, no it was announced that besides Gainward other vendors will be supplying 7600 and 7900 chipped AGP cards and that the price point for the 79's will be $300 and in plenty of supply here in NA.

Jesh MindBlank, one more strike...:)

Redeemed
04-25-06, 09:00 PM
You know, the only advantage PCI-e has over AGP (at the moment) is SLi and CrossFire. AGP 8x is by no means bandwidth limited. So for those of you who down AGP and praise PCI-e as if it were God's gift to mankind need to understand that an EXACT 7900GTX on AGP compared to its PCI-e brother would yeild identical results. From a performance standpoint, AGP is still a very robust platform. Its only draw back is the inability to run multiple graphics cards. Nothing else. And for me, at this time, a single 7900GTX is plenty fast enough (I'm still impressed at how fast my 6800GT is).

I'm all for PCI-e, SLi, CrossFire, and the death of AGP- but most people like me aren't doing the transition cause AM2 and Conroe are so close to being released. And on top of that, many people still in the AGP boat have a system that is plenty fast for them in everything but gaming. My computer can only be bested by s939 setup when heavy multi-tasking or extreme memory bandwidth is required. Other than that my system is on par performance wise with comparable s939 setups (I'm running a s754 3700 slightly oc'd). No need to upgrade the whole computer when it works fine for everything- including gaming. But by the time I'm in a position to where I feel I need to upgrade, my 6800GT will be lagging horribly. As such, this new 7900 for AGP will be a nice breath of fresh air for my computer, guaranteeing it to last up until I'm ready to upgrade. I see nothing wrong with that.

Gameoverplaye2
04-25-06, 09:26 PM
You know, the only advantage PCI-e has over AGP (at the moment) is SLi and CrossFire. AGP 8x is by no means bandwidth limited. So for those of you who down AGP and praise PCI-e as if it were God's gift to mankind need to understand that an EXACT 7900GTX on AGP compared to its PCI-e brother would yeild identical results. From a performance standpoint, AGP is still a very robust platform. .....snip....

As such, this new 7900 for AGP will be a nice breath of fresh air for my computer, guaranteeing it to last up until I'm ready to upgrade. I see nothing wrong with that.

Nicely said.

I wish my box was at least 939 setup, it is however a nice running Ole nforceII -xp2600-mobile running punched out @2.65Ghz on air, 1 gig mem 5-2-2-2 and a 6800-gt 430/1150, the extra 8 pipes and 2 shaders along with faster clock/mem and other features like transparencyAA of the 7900 AGP will all be welcomed.

Post yer links here as soon as they arrive!

Bondy
04-26-06, 05:55 AM
If you want to get the new 7800 with 512MB you can get it here.
I may order one this week.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_7800_Series_363.html#agx_2d030_2d gw

Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS SILENT 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-030-GW)
The new NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800 graphics processing units (GPUs) represent a significant leap forward in 3D graphics design, delivering the unparalleled horsepower and revolutionary technologies you need to tear through the latest games. The GeForce 7800 GPUs deliver blazing frame rates and outstanding image quality — so you can experience full-throttle graphics performance. This is the worlds fastest AGP card ever produced due to its 20 Pipeline Pixel processors and 512MB of GDDR3 memory. Gainward have once again brought to the market a product superior in every way, claiming the ultimate prize of most powerful card currently manufactured. This is the only 7800GS card to have 20 pixel pipelines anywhere making this card truly unique.

Gainward do it again! This is the only 7800GT card with 20 pixel pipelines available on AGP. Then along with its 512MB of super-fast GDDR3 memory allowing for great performance. Stock is running low!! So be quick as this is a deal not to be missed!

- GeForce™ 7800 GT GPU running at 425MHz
- 512MB 1200MHz high speed GDDR3 memory
- Superscalar 20-Pipe GPU Architecture
- SILENT Cooling solution
- High-Speed DDR 256-bit Memory Interface
- Dual 400MHz RAMDACs

PICK A FREE GAME (Voucher within packaging)

Price: £219.95 ($399.99) (£258.44 Including VAT at 17.5%) ($459.99)

MindBlank
04-26-06, 06:58 AM
Err, no it was announced that besides Gainward other vendors will be supplying 7600 and 7900 chipped AGP cards and that the price point for the 79's will be $300 and in plenty of supply here in NA.

Jesh MindBlank, one more strike...:)

Err,no. :)

I was talking about Gainward's 512 new 7800GS that's has a G70 running @ 450 mhz and all 24 pipelines enabled.

Gainward are making only 1500 of these cards.
And i also said that it essentially makes the card a 7900GT, not that it is a 7900GT since it doesn't even have a G71.

Anyway, the 7900 series in AGP sounds more like rumors. It's like the X1800XT/XL AGP rumor that was floating around when it appeared... People waited and waited (so did i :( ) but it didn't come out.

Though, it would make more sense for companies to release the G70 in different AGP flavours. AGP is as potent as PCI-E like someone said. Unfortunately, they will try to milk AGP users for every buck.
I just hate it when Intel is trying to push their technology on other platforms (just see DDR2 - does AMD need that, cause from recent reviews the performance gains are 2-3% at best).

AGP may not be bandwith limited yet, but just wait for UT2007 and Gears of War. These should be the first that can saturate the AGP bus...
I also like to know how Oblivion fares on AGP cards in contrast with PCI-E.

Schugy
04-28-06, 05:55 PM
I just want to buy a 7600GT for AGP (6600GT was too hot and clockseed low). I think it's the best choice for old socket A systems. Mainstream means high volumes and cheap PCI-E to AGP conversion.

Athlon 64 has enough power for 7900xx cards but the AGP bridge chip increases latency and it would be a bottleneck. There're no new native AGP card that can represent the true maximum AGP power. Prices for golden samples and such cards are high and the performance isn't on par with the native PCI-E cards. I recommand to buy a PCI-E card and a new mainboard instead.

AGP is not dead but benchmarks are limited to 6800U numbers.

Gameoverplaye2
04-28-06, 10:43 PM
I just want to buy a 7600GT for AGP (6600GT was too hot and clockseed low). I think it's the best choice for old socket A systems. Mainstream means high volumes and cheap PCI-E to AGP conversion.

Athlon 64 has enough power for 7900xx cards but the AGP bridge chip increases latency and it would be a bottleneck. There're no new native AGP card that can represent the true maximum AGP power. Prices for golden samples and such cards are high and the performance isn't on par with the native PCI-E cards. I recommand to buy a PCI-E card and a new mainboard instead.

AGP is not dead but benchmarks are limited to 6800U numbers.

Sorry, cant agree with you and I think the Benchmarks for even the Gainward 20 pipe card are far beyond any 6800U let alone a higher clocked 24 pipe (7900).

Chippo
05-01-06, 08:12 AM
Err,no. :)

And i also said that it essentially makes the card a 7900GT, not that it is a 7900GT since it doesn't even have a G71.

Er, no. :)

The Gainward BLISS 7800GS+ 512MB card is a 7900GT. It has a 7900GT core.

I have an email from the head of Gainward UK that confirms this.

Chip

CKTurbo128
05-01-06, 09:29 AM
Guys, check this link: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_7800_Series_363.html#agx_2d030_2d gw

You will see that there are two Gainward Bliss GeForce 7800 GS 512 MB models, a "plus" and "non-plus" version. The "plus" version is the newer 7800 GS model that was just released last Friday and contains a 7900 GT core with 24 pipes. The "non-plus" version is the original Gainward Bliss 7800 GS 512 MB reviewed/benchmarked by The Inquirer a month ago and contains a 7800 GT core with 20 pipes. According to OCUK, both are limited production products; there are only 1500 "+" models made, while there are only 2500 "non-plus" models made.

And no, it's not a typo, since several users in the OCUK forum have been testing these cards on their systems already. Here is the links:

Gainward bring you a 512MB 7800 GT for AGP!!!! (http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17553212)
Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ AGP (http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17569882)

Redeemed
05-01-06, 11:31 AM
Well, I'm not impressed with the 7800GS+, and am not to terribly impressed with the 7800GS from GW either.

Recently, I've been pondering getting that Epox SLi board that is s754. My cpu is a 3700, so I don't need s939 as my rig is fast enough. And I really like my current MOBO- only it is AGP. The reason I bring this up is cause I'm doubting that any other AGP cards are coming out.

Should I hold out a bit longer, or get that Epox board and a couple 7900GTs?

Redeemed
05-01-06, 12:46 PM
Did some math, and by the end of this month I'll have enough $$$ to get that Epox SLi board, dual 7900GTXs, and 2GB of Patriot CAS2 DDR400 ram, and a beasty 850watt PSU.

So, my thought:

I'm gonna' wait till the end of this month. At that time I'll check prices. If they dropped, awesome- if not, oh well. At that time I'll make my decision.

Untill then, what are your guys' thoughts? Should I hold out another month or two and see what comes of AGP in that time, or should I switch to PCI-e? I wont go to 939 as I'm perfectly satisfied with my s754 3700. Also, I've read reviews of this chip reaching 3GHz on air without much of a problem. My only complaint is if I got the dual 7900GTX's, I wont be able to fit both a new sound card and the AGEIA PhysX chip in my system. Hope the onboard audio is good. ;)

What are your guys' thoughts?

Mr_LoL
05-01-06, 02:02 PM
Heaven help you if you decide to order one of these cards from rip off Britain. Your credit card is going to cry.

Redeemed
05-01-06, 02:59 PM
That is why I'm not going to get the Gainward cards, not worth it. That is also why I'm considering going PCI-e now. I would just get pretty upset if I made the plunge and a week or a month later XFX or some other company releases a screaming fast 7900 based AGP card. That'd kinda' tick me off.

But, I couldn't get too mad, afterall 2gigs of phat ram and dual 7900GTXs? Not easy to stay mad long with that kind of a setup. ;)

Redeemed
05-01-06, 05:49 PM
Okay, if I went with the Epox SLi board- my specs would be as follows:

A64 3700 @ 2.4GHz
2GB Patriot DDR400 CAS2
2x Maxtor 300GB ATA133 7200RPM 16Mb cache HDDs
4x 80mm case fans (probably lit, blue- and around 50 or so CFM each)
1x 120mm case fan (again probably lit, blue as well, and around 110+ CFM)
2x 7900GTXs- stock cooling (unless I'm unsatisfied with the stock cooling, which I doubt I will be)
1x Auzentech Xplosion Soundcard
Thermaltake PureCU tower cooler w/120mm fan
DVD-Burner
CD-Burner

Okay, my question is:

I currently have a LinkDepot/TTGI powersupply. It is 550Watts max, 500watt continuous- is that enough *WATTAGE* to power everything I'll have in the rig? The volts seem a bit low- the 12v is more like 11.5 -11.8 and such (the voltages aren't exactly what they should be, just EVER SO SLIGHTLY lower). Does that matter? Should I get a new PSU?

If I WOULD be better off to get a new PSU, I'd prefer one that has atleast a 120mm fan on it. What would you guys recommend PSU wise? I know Enermax makes great PSUs, and I know PC P&C makes even better PSUs (but only have an 80mm fan). I'm pretty sure my tower is large enough to accomodate even PC P&C's 1kw PSU. But I'm quite confident that'd be more than overkill.

What do you all think?

Gameoverplaye2
05-01-06, 11:02 PM
Untill then, what are your guys' thoughts? Should I hold out another month or two and see what comes of AGP in that time, or should I switch to PCI-e? I wont go to 939 as I'm perfectly satisfied with my s754 3700. Also, I've read reviews of this chip reaching 3GHz on air without much of a problem. My only complaint is if I got the dual 7900GTX's, I wont be able to fit both a new sound card and the AGEIA PhysX chip in my system. Hope the onboard audio is good. ;)

What are your guys' thoughts?

For Me it is easy, as my little XP still has life for an XP (2.6Ghz) and having mucho Software setup for modeling 3d objects and proccessing very large hi-rez images for terrain in Flightsim9 which is the primary game I run.

I am not going to go thru the hassle of seting it all up on new box when fully programable shadder hardware and software is still a year+ away.
Then, maybe even awhile latter when the dust settles... after that new hardware will be the path.
So I think going for the G71 on AGP is the way, even at $500+...its a pop it in (Oh, wait...Vmod..then pop in) OC a bit and enjoy...no long aganizing re-installs.

MY 6800GT is on Ebay right now and the GS+ will be ordered at the end of the week...hope there are some still left. :)

Redeemed
05-02-06, 04:13 PM
For Me it is easy, as my little XP still has life for an XP (2.6Ghz) and having mucho Software setup for modeling 3d objects and proccessing very large hi-rez images for terrain in Flightsim9 which is the primary game I run.

I am not going to go thru the hassle of seting it all up on new box when fully programable shadder hardware and software is still a year+ away.
Then, maybe even awhile latter when the dust settles... after that new hardware will be the path.
So I think going for the G71 on AGP is the way, even at $500+...its a pop it in (Oh, wait...Vmod..then pop in) OC a bit and enjoy...no long aganizing re-installs.

MY 6800GT is on Ebay right now and the GS+ will be ordered at the end of the week...hope there are some still left.

Fortunately, I'm not in that boat. The upgrade wouldn't be such a big deal- just a bit of a waste of money considering the new hardware to be released.

I really don't know what to do- there hasn't been any more word about future HIGH END AGP video cards, and my 6800GT isn't getting any faster. I'm quite certian come March 26 next year or X-Mas next year- it'll be lagging pretty badly. Where as with the SLi setup, it'd definitely last me till then while allowing me to game at rather high resolutions and IQ settings.

If there is gonna' be a new high end AGP card coming out, I'd rather purchase that than go SLi right now.

I'm gonna' wait till around the end of this month and see what happens. But in regards to the PSU for such a rig as what I mentioned, what are your recommendations?

papa G
05-02-06, 04:55 PM
If you want my advice... wait for DirectX10 cards to be released before going to PCI-e. These should come out at the same time as, or just after, some big name games. Games using the Unreal3 engine (Unreal3 & Tournament 2007), and Crytek2 engine (Crysis) should benefit a lot from a DX10 card.

Of course I'm saying this from a gamer's point of view, but I'd guess that's what you are by the amount you want to spend on your rig.

Redeemed
05-02-06, 05:08 PM
If you want my advice... wait for DirectX10 cards to be released before going to PCI-e. These should come out at the same time as, or just after, some big name games. Games using the Unreal3 engine (Unreal3 & Tournament 2007), and Crytek2 engine (Crysis) should benefit a lot from a DX10 card.

Of course I'm saying this from a gamer's point of view, but I'd guess that's what you are by the amount you want to spend on your rig.

Yup, gaming is the main function of my rig. I've thought of that- but DX10 is still a ways off. I do doubt my 6800GT will last that long (from a performance perspective).

Thanks though, and I'm still considering biting my lip and waiting till DX10. But I want to come to a sound decision first.

Any other thoughts?