PDA

View Full Version : Unbalanced Mages Staff?

DaveW
04-25-06, 12:07 AM
I started on the mages quests at around level 12 I think. When I went to create my staff, I selected shock as my preference. The staff I got the next day could do 80 point shock damage. This compared to the 12 damage or so my I could do with my sword. I breezed it through the rest of the mage quests and the mage storyline. I would just stroll through the dungeons and could almost any beast with one or two shots. Even the bosses were no match... looking back it seemed too easy. Was my staff bugged or what?

|MaguS|
04-25-06, 12:09 AM
Nope, Casters are just that much more powerful. Its best to go either caster or Archer in the game. I noticed that Melee characters have a harder time usually with things the other two classes have it easy with.

CaptNKILL
04-25-06, 01:12 AM
Staffs are very powerful in this game. I dont use them much though since using them is like a shortcut that doesnt raise any skills. I think thats what balances them out, that and the insane recharge costs.

Treason
04-25-06, 02:37 AM
You can clean out Bruma at level 2 and get 5000+ gold. Then buy the Apotheosis staff at Rindir's Staffs in the Imperial marketplace.

killahsin
04-25-06, 04:23 AM
mage staves are pretty nuts but no more so then my daedric fury heh. Which 1 hits everything even at level 25 but that might be because my str blade is pretty damn high heh.

Toss3
04-25-06, 08:56 AM
Staffs are very powerful in this game. I dont use them much though since using them is like a shortcut that doesnt raise any skills. I think thats what balances them out, that and the insane recharge costs.
Yep they are, but you could also just enchant your sword and likes to become almost as powerful as the staffs. Btw. is there any way to add more, let's say fire damage, to your already enchanted sword? :o

Vapor Trail
04-25-06, 12:02 PM
I've got two nice bows I use with my archer character.

The first is a glass bow with a 30pt damage enchantment and the second one is a glass bow with a 15 point health absorbing enchantment.

I start with the first bow and as the enemy closes I switch to the second.

The health absorbing one is nice because if anything does get close enough to do any damage to me I just steal their health away.

I usually use Umbra's glass sword to finish them off and fill up my Azura's star stone to keep the bows and sword charged up.

Works like a charm. :)

Sazar
04-25-06, 12:38 PM
I usually just.... run away.

Brave Sir Robin is my idol

:angel:

CaptNKILL
04-25-06, 12:42 PM
What would you guys say is the best way to keep soul gems charged for a thief\assassin? As far as magic goes, I just have a little bit of restoration and destruction, so I cant just cast soul trap. I need some sort of item thatl do it or maybe a renewable supply of scrolls.

I have so many enchanted items its rediculous. I want to use them but I hate getting used to using a few of my good ones, then having to shell out 15k to charge them all back up.

I havent gotten Azura's Star yet, but I plan on it.

All this damn texturing has made it hard to find time to play the game :(

Zelda_fan
04-25-06, 12:47 PM
What would you guys say is the best way to keep soul gems charged for a thief\assassin? As far as magic goes, I just have a little bit of restoration and destruction, so I cant just cast soul trap. I need some sort of item thatl do it or maybe a renewable supply of scrolls.

I have so many enchanted items its rediculous. I want to use them but I hate getting used to using a few of my good ones, then having to shell out 15k to charge them all back up.

I havent gotten Azura's Star yet, but I plan on it.

All this damn texturing has made it hard to find time to play the game :(

Simply put - GET Azura's Star. It is A MUST if you use staffs on a regular basis. The one thing that sucks is it can't store NPC souls, but any creature and you're good to go. Right before you finish a monster off, soul trap him, and wam you got a recharge for your staff.

CaptNKILL
04-25-06, 01:23 PM
Simply put - GET Azura's Star. It is A MUST if you use staffs on a regular basis. The one thing that sucks is it can't store NPC souls, but any creature and you're good to go. Right before you finish a monster off, soul trap him, and wam you got a recharge for your staff.
Well yeah, I know that, but I dont have a soul trap spell, Im a thief :p

Any tips on how I can soul trap often without trying to raise my Mysticism from 5 to 25?

They should have made soul trap an effect on ingredients so you could use it in poisons... I could do that.

Zelda_fan
04-25-06, 02:32 PM
Well yeah, I know that, but I dont have a soul trap spell, Im a thief :p

Any tips on how I can soul trap often without trying to raise my Mysticism from 5 to 25?

They should have made soul trap an effect on ingredients so you could use it in poisons... I could do that.

Get some wimpy mysticism spell and keep casting it until you get your mysticism to 25. Then you can get a decent soul trap spell. There are also a few weapons which have "soul trap 10 sec on hit."

CaptNKILL
04-25-06, 02:37 PM
Get some wimpy mysticism spell and keep casting it until you get your mysticism to 25. Then you can get a decent soul trap spell. There are also a few weapons which have "soul trap 10 sec on hit."
Alright, I guess I'll just do that.

Oh, and this is an awesome page for looking up spells:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/oblivion/searchspells.php

SH64
04-25-06, 04:12 PM
QFT!

ventriloquate
04-25-06, 06:11 PM
80 damage is a lot early on, so maybe it is overpowered then, but later on it's nothing so I don't think it's a gamebreaker or anything. Besides, as Cap said, using one doesn't raise your skills, so it's pretty unproductive as far as advancement goes.

"mage staves are pretty nuts but no more so then my daedric fury heh. Which 1 hits everything even at level 25 but that might be because my str blade is pretty damn high heh."

Seriously? When I try to kill things with my daedric claymore monsters don't even flinch. My blade skill is 82 and my strength is 60. I hit a faded wraith or a daedroth or something and they don't even take 10% damage. Maybe my strength is just too low. Magic user after all..

CaptNKILL
04-25-06, 06:15 PM
80 damage is a lot early on, so maybe it is overpowered then, but later on it's nothing so I don't think it's a gamebreaker or anything. Besides, as Cap said, using one doesn't raise your skills, so it's pretty unproductive as far as advancement goes.

"mage staves are pretty nuts but no more so then my daedric fury heh. Which 1 hits everything even at level 25 but that might be because my str blade is pretty damn high heh."

Seriously? When I try to kill things with my daedric claymore monsters don't even flinch. My blade skill is 82 and my strength is 60. I hit a faded wraith or a daedroth or something and they don't even take 10% damage. Maybe my strength is just too low. Magic user after all..
Make sure to use a full power hit... it does more damage than even 5 or 6 quick taps.

Also, what does it say the damage of your claymore is in the inventory menu?

sillyeagle
04-25-06, 07:19 PM
What would you guys say is the best way to keep soul gems charged for a thief\assassin?

Get Umbra's sword, has soul trap 100 or something like that.

sillyeagle
04-25-06, 07:23 PM
mage staves are pretty nuts but no more so then my daedric fury heh. Which 1 hits everything even at level 25 but that might be because my str blade is pretty damn high heh.

I think his Deadric Fury is not a normal Deadric sword.

ventriloquate
04-25-06, 08:47 PM
Listed damage on my claymore is 22 I believe. Haven't used it in a long time so not sure. Gave up on it after getting owned a few times.

sillyeagle
04-25-06, 09:34 PM
Listed damage on my claymore is 22 I believe. Haven't used it in a long time so not sure. Gave up on it after getting owned a few times.

Well I have Umbra with damage of 30, 100 Strenght, 100 blade, and certainly can't kill most things with one hit, maybe a wolf. Bears and any of the other enemies I'm getting at my level have I have to pound on for a while. I think I'm at level 26 or something.

killahsin
04-26-06, 12:56 AM

the higher your blade skill the higher your sword rating is on that claymore. the higher your str the higher your damage modifier is on melee. you have decent blade skill but your str is lacking. Up your str watch your sword rating go from 22 to 29 and even higher easily.

and my daedric fury is a daedric longsword with a sick fire damage enchant on it. I have azuras star so keeping it filled is np. Also remember that everything effects everything. It's wierd and ive not yet totally figured out the system. but for instance with a higher feather on say 200 you run a hell of alot faster. even though feather doesn't effect speed. It's rather interesting. all the skills arent static they work together. So if you put a str buff = to that feather 200 you would run faster also and do more damage. I am still trying to figure out how everything works. But I think endurance+str+agi+blade = sick damage with melee. I think the rpg elements are so fuzzy and hidden you don't notice them but they exist. I also am a master alchemist so when i say i 1 hit everything that is of course with poison on my daedric fury. Except for necros, i don't need any poisons to 1 shot them heh.

i would also like to say that people whom say skills over 100 don't do anything don't know what they are talking about.

I would like to elaborate via screenshots of what str at 103 and str at much higher is difference wise via screenshots so give me a second and i will show you

ok well that did not work imageshack is not being nice. Needless to say at:

STR = 103
my carry weight is 530.

STR = 153
my carry weight is 765.

At both of these settings my sword rating is 25. Yet with 153 STR i can clearly kill things ALOT faster then at a STR of 103. The sword ratings only rise with your level it seems, where as there is some sort of damage modifier attached to the STR skill.

I shall do the same thing with blade skill right now to see if it effects the Sword rating.

ok I made a 100 blade skill spell that lasts for 5 seconds and compared it to a 50 str skill spell that lasts 15 seconds. The 50 STr gives you mroe damage than an additional 100 blade. With the STR buff Per a normal strong attack where u just hold attack, i did 2x as much damage then without the STR. Perhaps 1/3. Without numbers being displayed it is hard to tell exactly. Where as the 100 blade spell the damage difference was slight perhaps 1/4th more then normal. But it seemed the special blade attacks landed more often.

Thus this makes me belieev that there are soft caps based on modifiers so you cannot exploit the system. Neither STR nor blade raise the attack rating of a sword. Yet damage and special skills increases(special skills seem to only increase with blade not STR.) I do not believe there are hard caps at 100. I do however believe there are some sort of soft caps that are based on level/str/blade.

I would love to get a mod that spits out numbers when you damage enemies. So I can test the system better. If anyone knows one, id love a link. What i mean by this is a mod that shows how much damage you do numerically when you hit a mob.