PDA

View Full Version : for IL2 FB, Direct X or OpenGL

nforcer
04-25-06, 12:48 AM
I noticed this option in the setup and am wondering what's the diff. Which is better to go with?

Bottle
04-25-06, 04:05 AM
I fly IL2 forgotten battles at least once a week, often two or three times a week. Have done from the original IL2 days. Without question OpenGL is the best option. But it doesn't take too much to try the two ways out and see what your machine gives wrt speed and IQ.

If you've got what it takes, have a look at us; (nana2)

http://www.tangmerepilots.co.uk/

|MaguS|
04-25-06, 04:12 AM
I think it depends on what hardware your running when choosing. If you have a 6800 or higher card then theres no better choice, OpenGL will probably always give the better performance but their might be some Direct3D only effects in the game (no clue on this though since I have never played the game).

agentkay
04-25-06, 05:17 AM
.... but their might be some Direct3D only effects in the game (no clue on this though since I have never played the game).

Actually with IL2 its the other way. When you use OpenGL and max out the ingame settings and use "water=3" in the ini file, you enable Vertexshader 3.0 water effects, which looks REALLY good. Realistic waves, water ripples and reflections. Probably still the best water in a flight sim. Of course since you never played the game, you couldnīt know that. ;)

Peacemaker
04-25-06, 05:48 AM
For IL2 series - OpenGL only.
You can run game in perfect mode with superior water (especially when you change settings in config.ini water=2 or 3 or 4).
This option is not for DirectX.

greetings,

Peacemaker.