PDA

View Full Version : My Superclock is a Superlock.

MaXThReAT
04-25-06, 10:03 AM
I've had the Evga 7900gt SC since the 11th. It was running fine, about an hour with fear and a maybe half hour of Oblivion some Quake4 and a bunch of racing sim games. On Fri of last week I powered her up and let her warm up. I had just installed 84.43 I clicked the NV Detect Optimal Freq and got a hard lock with a few rainbow artifacts. I reset and ever since I've been getting major artifacts, rainbow dots, vertical lines all over and exploding polygons.

Since this started I've reinstalled windows, rolled back to 84.21. I've also flashed the card with a brand new BIOS from evga2000 with the same results. I might try the Rev03 bios from mvktech.net that noted as bogus. I called Evga tech support last night. They suggested I try down clocking it. I first bumped it from 550/790 down to 500/700 and still got lock ups and major artifacts. Unless something got fried, WHAT THE HE!!. The card never got too hot from what I could tell I wonder if the Detect Optimal Freq killed my card. I was going to install a VF-900 last night but it locks or crashes so fast heat is not an issue. I'm open to suggestions, I read about people flashing the card with a default bios and fixing their card but I think I'm ganna RMA her in the end though. :thumbdwn:

fugu_fish
04-25-06, 10:07 AM
I've had the Evga 7900gt SC since the 11th. It was running fine, about an hour with fear and a maybe half hour of Oblivion some Quake4 and a bunch of racing sim games. On Fri of last week I powered her up and let her warm up. I had just installed 84.43 I clicked the NV Detect Optimal Freq and got a hard lock with a few rainbow artifacts. I reset and ever since I've been getting major artifacts, rainbow dots, vertical lines all over and exploding polygons.

Since this started I've reinstalled windows, rolled back to 84.21. I've also flashed the card with a brand new BIOS from evga2000 with the same results. I might try the Rev03 bios from mvktech.net that noted as bogus. I called Evga tech support last night. They suggested I try down clocking it. I first bumped it from 550/790 down to 500/700 and still got lock ups and major artifacts. Unless something got fried, WHAT THE HE!!. The card never got too hot from what I could tell I wonder if the Detect Optimal Freq killed my card. I was going to install a VF-900 last night but it locks or crashes so fast heat is not an issue. I'm open to suggestions, I read about people flashing the card with a default bios and fixing their card but I think I'm ganna RMA her in the end though. :thumbdwn:

It sounds like the card is fried. RMA it.

grey_1
04-25-06, 01:02 PM
Might be a silly question, but have you tried another psu? Your s may have been fine til it met a superclocked 7900. Just a thought.

Cruel_Logic
04-25-06, 01:08 PM
That happened to my 5950 ultra back in the day, and a new ps did fix it, but my ps was visibly melting :eek:

MaXThReAT
04-25-06, 05:30 PM
PSU is a OCZ 520w Powerstream, I haven’t had any issue with it yet. It's just waiting for SLI. I requested an RMA from Evga as newegg said they would be out of stock for weeks to a month. Evga's support is the best as everyone has said, doing a cross-shipment, I would have liked overnight but it's ground. They said it should ship tomorrow or Wed. So I'm thinking it will ship Thur or Fri. At best I might get it Fri but prolly Monday or later.
At least this will give me time to OC the x2 3800 and see what she can really do with good RAM. I was hoping somone would come along and say OOOo all you need to to is... but O-well.

grey_1
04-25-06, 05:50 PM
GL with it.

MaXThReAT
04-25-06, 05:54 PM
You may mod my card just don’t drool on the RAM.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v684/MaXThREaT/th_DDR500.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/MaXThREaT/DDR500.jpg)

NeMeSis78
04-25-06, 08:55 PM
I'm having similar problems. I was simply told to RMA the card since eVGA has admitted to having card problem on their forums.

Muppet
04-26-06, 01:48 AM
You may mod my card just donít drool on the RAM.
http://jupiter.walagata.com/thumbnail.php?w=&u=maxthreat&f=DDR500.jpg&d=&ht=100&wd=100&bg=4682B4&fg=FFFFFF&text=&t=1 (http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/maxthreat/DDR500.jpg)Nice Ram, you should be fine with that PSU i have the same one and have been running SLI with it for a while now and it's rock solid stable.

MaXThReAT
04-26-06, 10:46 AM
Well after doing further downclocking this card just may be defective. At first I thought the clocks might just be too high but setting it to 450/1400 it would still lock ups within seconds of starting almost any 3D app, it's shot. I've received a few emails from Evga. The RMA and credit card cross-shipment have been approved. It just might ship out today. I'll prolly get it on Monday. We'll see.
As for the X2 3800+ I was able to hit 2.5ghz easy on air last night. 1.45v and it didn't even break 48c with the stock cooler. I'm going to hit 2.6 tonight and see what temps look like. I might get a new heatsink until I get water next month. That OCZ RAM is truly awesome.

MaXThReAT
04-27-06, 04:51 PM
Well just to update you guys on what to maybe expect with an RMA from Evga. I placed the RMA and Faxed the Cross-shipment Credit Card form early on Tue the 25th. I received confirmation that it shipped out last night, around 8:30. I should be receiving the new card on Monday, UPS ground, they say overnight or 2 day is not possible. Then I have 30days to ship back the defective card. I'm keeping my finger crossed that I get a good one this time.

HeavyH20
04-30-06, 10:35 AM
Had a similar issue with an EVGA 7900 GTX. RMA'd the card, then found some information out from eva2000. Looks like once you OC the memory on the card a little too far, a protection kicks in that does not reset itself. So, artifacts, lock-ups and the like occur after that event. Worked fine up to that. So, I took my second card and reproduced the issue. The card would now artifact an lock-up. Could not even finish a 3Dmark06 run.

I reflashed the card, which resets the protection and the card worked just fine. Reran all the tests, and the lock-ups and artifacts were gone. The memory throttle was cleared.

eva2000
04-30-06, 12:40 PM
Had a similar issue with an EVGA 7900 GTX. RMA'd the card, then found some information out from eva2000. Looks like once you OC the memory on the card a little too far, a protection kicks in that does not reset itself. So, artifacts, lock-ups and the like occur after that event. Worked fine up to that. So, I took my second card and reproduced the issue. The card would now artifact an lock-up. Could not even finish a 3Dmark06 run.

I reflashed the card, which resets the protection and the card worked just fine. Reran all the tests, and the lock-ups and artifacts were gone. The memory throttle was cleared.
might be more than just memory protection issue but memory voltage regulator dying http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14558 ?

HeavyH20
04-30-06, 04:22 PM
That could explain the card I just got from RMA. The card is artifacting in 3DMark06 on the HDR tests, even after reflash, unlike the other. This card was not overclocked and the problem appeared after just a couple of days of light use in a second system. The other GTX card reflashed worked fine.

One item to note, the 7900 GTX SC cards are working fine at the stock clocks. One concern, on the latest SC card, the voltage regulator heatsink is canted. It is not flat like the other GTX cards and the other SC. It is a lighter green PCB compared to the other three (two GTX and other SC) and the power regulator components are different. They are thicker on one side so the heatsink does not sit flush with all the components.

jcniest5
04-30-06, 10:26 PM
might be more than just memory protection issue but memory voltage regulator dying http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14558 ?

Can sum1 confirm if this applies to the GTX as well or just the GT?

HeavyH20
05-01-06, 12:50 AM
Well, I just ran some tests on the two SLI systems. The first one is an EVGA 7900 GTX SLI system, air cooled, with a single core. The second is an EVGA 7900 GTX SC system, watercooled, with a dual core.

The watercooled system has run without issue or artifacts for some time. Not so lucky on the air cooled system. I thought the advantage was due to the watercooling, but, it seems it may have actually been the 120 mm fan I had mounted to move air across the voltage regulators on the watercooled cards. It appears that as a side benefit, the fan was moving a decent amount of air across the back of each card.

I ran some tests with the extra 120 mm fan off, and the 7900 GTX SC system started to have artifacts in the 3Dmark06 tests and in BF2. Put it back on, and the problem did not reappear.

The air cooled system is another challenge. The first card was RMA'd since the memory artifacted very badly at stock speeds. I had to underclock the memory to 1350 to get the card to work decently. The replacemant is even worse, since it gets blue and red bright spots during the second last test of 3Dmark06 and bad artifacts and a freeze up in the last test. The remaining card is now artifacting in 3DMark06 as well as BF2. Nothing I can do for the one card, but I am now running some tests to see if cooling the back of the card with the memory issue helps the problem.

eva2000
05-01-06, 08:37 AM
Interesting info there

ArrowMk84
05-01-06, 03:08 PM
Is this issue widespread throughout EVGA's line, or is it a limited problem? I just ordered a pair of the GTX SCs this morning (I'm not much on the heatsink solutions for my 7800s, and Oblivion is kicking the crap out of them @1920x1200 with high detail). I hope I didn't just make a mistake.

christos
05-01-06, 03:53 PM
I received 2 evga gtx sc's about 2 weeks ago from their second batch and have been very pleased. No issues, no artifacts. Playing oblivion @ 1920x1200 max detail is highly addicting. I'm assuming the issue has been worked out by now and that it was limited to the first batch of superclocks....unless I just got lucky.

HeavyH20
05-01-06, 08:52 PM
The first SC cards just could not handle the clocks as spec'd. The new ones make the spec, but the voltage regulator issue persists throughout all 7900 based cards regardless of vendor. I have a couple of SC cards that work just fine with a little extra air flow on the backside.

jcniest5
05-01-06, 11:17 PM
The first SC cards just could not handle the clocks as spec'd. The new ones make the spec, but the voltage regulator issue persists throughout all 7900 based cards regardless of vendor. I have a couple of SC cards that work just fine with a little extra air flow on the backside.

I wonder where this memory regulator chip is located on the GTX. I found one chip that is hotter than the rest, so I put a ramsink on it. The ramsink gets pretty hot, so I think it's working well. It's the biggest chip at the back of the card, toward the middle. It's steamy hot when I felt it with my tongue, hehehhe, no just kidding, I meant my finger. Also, I have an extra ramsink so I felt around for any hot chip or other component. I found three chips, more like resistors near the middle of the card toward the top and since my ramsink is long, I sticked it there, covering all three chips. It's doing its job as well as I can feel that it get pretty warm (if not hot).

ArrowMk84
05-02-06, 06:02 PM
Argh. Well, my new cards didn't last ten minutes in CoD2MP. A nice green flashing across the screen. I'm RMA these back to Newegg; the 7800s will just have to last me till the next generation. Its a shame, too, they're really nice, well built cards, and they run so much cooler.

MaXThReAT
05-02-06, 06:22 PM
Well here is my update. I received the replacement 7900gtSC yesterday. Over the previous weekend I think I was able to get my Orig card working. Well I'm sure because I have both setup in SLI right now. Running like a bat out of...So I went from a good card 84.26 to a bad card 84.43, flash, still bad. The card was bad for about 4 days. Then I reinstalled windows & 84.21, Still bad. Moved to 84.56, perfect. Not a single issue with SLI or Single card.
I havn't tested to pick the best card yet. I assume EVGA isn't going to care if I end up keeping my orig card if it's better. I might keep both but I have a mind to get rid of the one that did have issues.

So far this is my first run on the SLI setup thats only half mine:D . I haven't even topped out the ram or CPU yet. Single GPU, stock clocks in the sig.
Not a huge jump from single GPU but now I know what to exspect with Sli Gts.
Edit: ORB shows 200fsb but it's 250/DDR500
3DMark06
7934 (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=276282)
3DMark05
12821 (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1992190)