PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion coming to PS3 and PSP??? PS3 release date?

Bad_Boy
04-25-06, 02:32 PM
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96767
guy named snatches reported this on gaf forums, supposedly hes a reliable guy there (which isnt saying much) so who knows.
edit: as a side note, snatches works in distrubution, he broke the news of GTA LCS on PS2 and FEAR on ps3 on the same forum

I just got a release list from Bethesda....first one in a while. I gave it a quick glance then did a double take and spit take with my morning coffee.....take a look:

PS2 AMF Extreme Bowling 2006 (Mud Duck) 9-May-06
XBX AMF Extreme Bowling 2006 (Mud Duck) 9-May-06
PS2 IHRA Sportsman Edition 9-May-06
XBX IHRA Sportsman Edition 9-May-06
PS2 Pirates Of The Caribbean:Legend of Jack Sparrow 1-Jun-06
PS2 Star Trek - Battlestations 6-Oct-06
360 Star Trek - Legacy 6-Oct-06
DS Star Trek - Tactical Assault 6-Oct-06
PSP Star Trek - Tactical Assault 6-Oct-06
PS3 Oblivion 6-Nov-06
PSP Oblivion 6-Nov-06

I didn't ask who they sent it to. But this was sent to an official Bethesda distributor.

Ship day on Nov 6th, ps3 launch nov 7th?
take this with a grain of salt.

Its interesting at the least.

Mr. Hunt
04-25-06, 07:25 PM
Very interesting... I am more shocked by the PSP thing... just... weird lol.

sillyeagle
04-25-06, 08:47 PM
Very interesting... I am more shocked by the PSP thing... just... weird lol.

Don't they already have Oblivion for mobile phones or something? Its totally different.

TheTaz
04-25-06, 09:14 PM
I dunno about PSP.... but PS3 would make sense since the Gamebyro engine does run on that platform.

-Taz

CaptNKILL
04-25-06, 10:22 PM
Hmm... interesting...

I suggest everyone start stocking up on flame retardent materials because its going to be messy when the PC, PS3 and XBox360 people all start brawling about which is better :D

And I dont know about that PSP thing... theres no way they would release the mobile phone version on PSP, and I dont see them redoing the entire game (the real one :p) for a hand held. Not at all.

msxyz
04-26-06, 02:31 AM
Uhm... weird because Microsoft has some kind of behind-the-scenes monetary agreement with Bethesda.

Also, Gamebyro is only part of the picture. Running Oblivion on the PS3 would require some serious rewrite of the code. With the two teams busy on Fallout and the unannounced expansion -unless they outsurce the porting to some other development studio I don't see a PS3 version coming THAT soon.

CaptNKILL
04-26-06, 02:34 AM
Uhm... weird because Microsoft has some kind of behind-the-scenes monetary agreement with Microsoft.

Also, Gamebyro is only part of the picture. Running Oblivion on the PS3 would require some serious rewrite of the code. With the two teams busy on Fallout and the unannounced expansion -unless they outsurce the porting to some other development studio I don't see a PS3 version coming THAT soon.
Yeah, doesnt seem to realistic to me either.

They said there werent any plans for other platforms but they werent ruling anything out... now all the sudden theres a scheduled date for 2 totaly different platforms? I think I have to call BS on this one...

Bad_Boy
04-26-06, 03:43 AM
Uhm... weird because Microsoft has some kind of behind-the-scenes monetary agreement with Microsoft.

I think Take-Two has rights to it, Not microsoft. So I think it can come to any platform they wish really.

|MaguS|
04-26-06, 07:08 AM
Bethesda won't confirm nor deny it... IGN contacted them on this rumor...

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/703/703229p1.html

We contacted Bethesda for comment and sadly its representatives had very little grist to add to the rumor mill. The company's official reply: "At present we have no announced plans to bring Oblivion to any platforms other than PC or Xbox 360."

This sounds interesting... I mean they know the game is a top seller and by releasing it on another platform would increase sales by a large amount. It is a possibility... for all we know they might have gotten a DevKit sometime last year and began porting it prior to the release of the other versions... who knows what they are up to.

I do hope its true though, Sony needs more western RPGs on their consoles.

msxyz
04-26-06, 07:16 AM
I do hope its true though, Sony needs more western RPGs on their consoles.True, but if Bethesda expects Oblivion on PS3 to sell as much as on the Xbox360 thery're set for a big letdown.

In the first year of life of the console, you can bet a good portion of the consoles will be sold in Japan which has little or no interest for games like Oblivion, much less for games played through "first person" camera.

msxyz
04-26-06, 07:22 AM
I think Take-Two has rights to it, Not microsoft. So I think it can come to any platform they wish really.

Take-2 is a subcontractor and has the rights for distribution in Europe only as Bethesda is a publisher itself in the US market.

Microsoft made some "heavy discounts" to some developers to lure them into bringing more titles to their console. These include reduced royalties (so that a bigger chunck of the money goes to the developers) and other commodities.

Of course this comes with a price as Microsoft wants -in exchange- games to be in exclusive for the Xbox and PC platform. Don't forget - in Microsoft grand scheme of things- that PC gaming hurts Sony as much as the Xbox and keeps hardware vendors happy as well.

|MaguS|
04-26-06, 07:28 AM
Microsoft made some "heavy discounts" to some developers to lure them into bringing more titles to their console. These include reduced royalties (so that a bigger chunck of the money goes to the developers) and other commodities.

Of course this comes with a price as Microsoft wants -in exchange- games to be in exclusive for the Xbox and PC platform. Don't forget - in Microsoft grand scheme of things- that PC gaming hurts Sony as much as the Xbox and keep hardware vendors happy as well.

Also, Take-2 is a subcontractor and has the rights for Europe only as Bethesda is a publisher itself at least for the US market.

That doesn't matter at all... If Bethesda and Take-Two want Oblivion on the PS3 Microsoft has no word in denying them that. All the deals they could have made could be considered as making the game exclusive for a certain amount of time or just release first on that given console.

I mean look at the GTA series... that was "exclusive" to the PS2 and yet it was able to be released on the xbox later after the contract ended.

In short, Bethesda own the rights to Oblivion... It's their Property, they can do whatever they want...

Slybri
04-26-06, 12:29 PM
If this is true, the PSP version will probably be a 3rd person, isometric view, hack n' slash thing. Diablo style. Bethseda will probably just farm the license out to a 3rd party studio to make it. In other words, Oblivion in name only.

I'll still be buying it though. My PSP is hungry for a good RPG.

As for the PS3 version, hopefully by the time the PS3 actually exists they will have released some expansions for Oblivion, and the PS3 will include those. I'm also hoping the PS3 is able to run with improved textures and draw distance. Of course, the PS3 is currently just a fantasy machine... I'll believe it when I see it on sale at Bestbuy.

|MaguS|
04-26-06, 12:39 PM
Why couldn't the PSP version be a toned down version of the original game? I mean we got GTA perfectly on the sytem, I couldn't see why a lower end version can be done... won't look like nearly as good but its possible.

Slybri
04-26-06, 12:48 PM
Maybe so. I've just been looking at screenshots of Monster Hunter Freedom, coming out for the PSP next month. It does look a bit like Oblivion. Maybe they can pull it off in 1st person, but I hate the 1st person controls on the PSP.

TheTaz
04-26-06, 10:30 PM
Well... I agree that a PS3 version is highly unlikely, given Bethesda's relationship with MS for XBOX 360 development.

I was simply stating, that rumorwise, the PS3 would make sense compared to the PSP because the engine does run on that platfom. Granted Bethesda's engine is modified... but the real modifications have little to do with the rendering and physics... that's pretty much all Gamebyro and Havoc within Gamebyro.... the Radiant AI, the dialog trees, quest database access, etc. is all Bethesda's code, and would have to be ported just as much as it was for the XBox 360.

-Taz