PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to put adverts in games

AthlonXP1800
04-26-06, 03:45 AM
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31262

Sound interesting, Microsoft acquired Massive (http://www.massiveincorporated.com/index.htm) which selling adverts in video games. I think the last time I saw adverts was in Half Life 2 and Duke Nukem 3D. But I think it not a good idea to put adverts in games like Oblivion or Project Offset. :D

nutcrackr
04-26-06, 04:22 AM
HL2 had ads in game? Which version was this?
Splinter Cell games have had ads that change, like movie posters. I"m usually less likely to buy a game that has ads in it.

AthlonXP1800
04-26-06, 05:09 AM
HL2 had ads in game? Which version was this?
Splinter Cell games have had ads that change, like movie posters. I"m usually less likely to buy a game that has ads in it.

HL2 had poster ads in game included one poster featured ATI Ruby and Radeon X800 card but I never noticed and found it. Splinter Cell games had ads? Wow I never noticed it just like HL2. I agreed in game adverts can ruin the game experience and image, so I think Microsoft is doing it for Xbox 360 games that could mean few people will buy Xbox 360 console because of in game adverts. It the same thing with Internet pop ups and surf as you earn adverts browser bars that I really hate so much, it slow down my Internet access and memory resource hog.

Edge
04-26-06, 06:31 AM
I think Microsoft is doing it for Xbox 360 games that could mean few people will buy Xbox 360 console because of in game adverts.
Wow, that has to be one of the more ridiculous predictions I've heard. Avoiding buying a console because games for it have advertising? It didn't seem to hurt PS1 racing games back when in game advertising was big for them (it was kinda funny going back to Jet Moto and seeing the old Mountain Dew logo on the billboards).

Banko
04-26-06, 06:51 AM
Why wouldn't you buy a game with ads in it? It's just a texture it isn't like it is going to annoy you or anything.

|MaguS|
04-26-06, 06:54 AM
As long as the ads fit the theme of the game I could care less but If I start up a game of Vangaurds and am greated by a billboard for Windows Vista you can dam well bet I will start bitching.

msxyz
04-26-06, 07:11 AM
As long as the ads fit the theme of the game I could care less but If I start up a game of Vangaurds and am greated by a billboard for Windows Vista you can dam well bet I will start bitching.

Some street racing games or football had advertising in it for a while. These advertising are not out of context and perfectly acceptable. Some people may even point out that they add some "realism".

But advertising in a fantasy game looks out of place and I would seriously consider not buying it. Also, I am expecting that games containing some sort of adsvertising are sold at a reduced price.

|MaguS|
04-26-06, 07:30 AM

Some street racing games or football had advertising in it for a while. These advertising are not out of context and perfectly acceptable. Some people may even point out that they add some "realism".

But advertising in a fantasy game looks out of place and I would seriously consider not buying it. Also, I am expecting that games containing some sort of adsvertising are sold at a reduced price.

Does putting " . " mean you agree or disagree because your basically repeating what I wrote....

msxyz
04-26-06, 07:52 AM
I agree, of course.

repetita juvant :)

agentkay
04-26-06, 07:57 AM
I agree with Magus and msxyz on this one as well! Imagine if you had a Coke ad in Oblivion. :rolleyes: I would return such games because such ads would kill the games immersion. They need to be subtile and fit into the games.

Capt. Picard
04-26-06, 08:38 AM
There also were ads in NFS U2 on the tuning track. Old Spice etc.

I a FPS I wouldn't mind it actually. I would just empty a couple of clips on it.

Tygerwoody
04-26-06, 10:09 AM
I think it adds to realism for racing games, sports games, and even FPS shooter games. I mean come on? Isn't it better to see "Cheeto's Cheese Puffs" as opposed to "Cheeze Poo's". Maybe that was a bad example, i like the Cheeze Poo's in FEAR. :D

What will make me mad is if it is ever added to RPG games. Imagine playing an MMORPG and seeing an ad for Diet Mountain Dew or Frams oil filter.

|MaguS|
04-26-06, 10:11 AM
I think it adds to realism for racing games, sports games, and even FPS shooter games.

What will make me mad is if it is ever added to RPG games. Imagine playing an MMORPG and seeing an ad for Diet Mountain Dew or Frams oil filter.

Unless it fits in the contex of the MMO... I wouldn't be mad playing AutoAssault and seeing a Jiffylube ad, lol

superklye
04-26-06, 10:12 AM
HL2 had poster ads in game included one poster featured ATI Ruby and Radeon X800 card but I never noticed and found it. Splinter Cell games had ads? Wow I never noticed it just like HL2. I agreed in game adverts can ruin the game experience and image, so I think Microsoft is doing it for Xbox 360 games that could mean few people will buy Xbox 360 console because of in game adverts. It the same thing with Internet pop ups and surf as you earn adverts browser bars that I really hate so much, it slow down my Internet access and memory resource hog.
How did you NOT notice the Athlon 64 ads and everything else in SCCT? They were EVERYWHERE.

They were even on the damned loading screens!

Tygerwoody
04-26-06, 10:13 AM
Unless it fits in the contex of the MMO... I wouldn't be mad playing AutoAssault and seeing a Jiffylube ad, lol
Thats why I said MMORPG. Imagine slaying a dragon and just before he dies instead of hearing that one last "roar" that dragons shout, Imagine him shouting "I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance!..... eeehhhh.... *death*"

|MaguS|
04-26-06, 10:14 AM
Ok, Then how about Matrix Online? Very fitting there aswell...

|MaguS|
04-26-06, 10:14 AM
How did you NOT notice the Athlon 64 ads and everything else in SCCT? They were EVERYWHERE.

They were even on the damned loading screens!

Sony Ericsson anyone? hehe

Tygerwoody
04-26-06, 10:17 AM
Ok, Then how about Matrix Online? Very fitting there aswell...
Games as sucky as that don't even count. They can have all the ads they want. Its probably the only way they made any money.

Jarodd
04-26-06, 10:49 AM
Also, I am expecting that games containing some sort of adsvertising are sold at a reduced price.

I wish you were right, but i fear it's not even gonna happen. Supposedly, selling game through something like steam reduces the cost of a game...Well i may be wrong but HL2 was not cheaper and 20$ per 6hours of game in the next "episodes" isnt cheap as well.
They will say say warez make them lose so much money that they need this as extra.

my 2 cents guys;)