PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys use to test for Artifacts?

AirJarhead
04-26-06, 06:59 AM
Hey Guys,
I haven't had an NVidia card for about 3-4 yrs, so I'm a little behind. I decided to go with an XFX 7900GT 520/1500 over the X1800XT I tested, and did the silver paint 1.4V mod (installed a NV silencer 5 too). I was wondering what the best way ti test for artifacts is?
I see some people are using ATitool to OC, and that's what I used on my ATI cards to test an OC. However, I tried the "scan for artifacts" on a couple of occasions and counted about 2-3 artifacts before I stopped it. Then the log shows that it ran without any errors. Is this what we have to do - sit there and WATCH for an hour? Or is there a program I can just run that will report artifacts or stop if one is detected. BTW, the slider under the Artifact scanning section is near "detect more artifacts/lower OC."

Oh, one more question...After I did the voltmod, the detect optimal clock screen detected a lower OC than before I did it. I read that after the voltmod, the card would would run in 2dmode so it wouldn't show a higher OC (with coolbits) after the mod. Is that right? If so, why do I see people showing pictures of the detect optimal clock screen with high OCs from people that did the voltmod? Is there something else I have to do? After I did the voltmod, the detect optimal clock screen detected a lower OC than before I did it.

Thanks,

SLippe
04-26-06, 12:31 PM
Hey Guys,
I haven't had an NVidia card for about 3-4 yrs, so I'm a little behind. I decided to go with an XFX 7900GT 520/1500 over the X1800XT I tested, and did the silver paint 1.4V mod (installed a NV silencer 5 too). I was wondering what the best way ti test for artifacts is?
I see some people are using ATitool to OC, and that's what I used on my ATI cards to test an OC. However, I tried the "scan for artifacts" on a couple of occasions and counted about 2-3 artifacts before I stopped it. Then the log shows that it ran without any errors. Is this what we have to do - sit there and WATCH for an hour? Or is there a program I can just run that will report artifacts or stop if one is detected. BTW, the slider under the Artifact scanning section is near "detect more artifacts/lower OC."

Oh, one more question...After I did the voltmod, the detect optimal clock screen detected a lower OC than before I did it. I read that after the voltmod, the card would would run in 2dmode so it wouldn't show a higher OC (with coolbits) after the mod. Is that right? If so, why do I see people showing pictures of the detect optimal clock screen with high OCs from people that did the voltmod? Is there something else I have to do? After I did the voltmod, the detect optimal clock screen detected a lower OC than before I did it.

Thanks,
Just run the 3DMark bench programs.

The detect optimal frequencies may or may not change with the vmod. You have to manually move the sliders to 650/850, for example. Mine only went up a little bit with the auto detect.

AirJarhead
04-26-06, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the reply. So you think running a 3dmark bench once while watching it for artifacts would be a good inticator of a stable OC? Or do you mean loop it for a long time and see if it quits. Will it quit if it starts to artifact?

SLippe
04-27-06, 01:14 AM
Thanks for the reply. So you think running a 3dmark bench once while watching it for artifacts would be a good inticator of a stable OC? Or do you mean loop it for a long time and see if it quits. Will it quit if it starts to artifact?
No, it won't quit if it starts to artifact. It might quit if the card gets too hot and hangs, of course. I'd loop it or run 3dmark06 with the settings you would use in games in your nvcpl and do that a few times. If you aren't seeing artifacts then and it doesn't hang, you should be okay. However, it is possible to not have artifacts, but after several hours of gaming lock up still, from what I hear. That is usually a heat factor at that point. You'll just have to play around. You know what kind of cooling you have and what your system can and can't do. I've put my card back to default until I get a new HSF for it, like the VF900 by Zalman.

AirJarhead
04-27-06, 06:50 AM
OK, Thanks for the reply.

Mr_LoL
04-27-06, 01:52 PM
You could also try ati tool which I believe can work on Nvidia cards.

AdmiralHalsey..
04-27-06, 05:51 PM
Strange that coolbit's "detect optimal frequencies" would lower like that. I have basically the same card and cooler, and did a copper paint on mod, and my optimal frequency went from 530 to 725. I hope its a fluke man, good luck. If you find a good artifact tester, let me know... ATI tool sucks.

SLippe
04-27-06, 08:16 PM
Strange that coolbit's "detect optimal frequencies" would lower like that. I have basically the same card and cooler, and did a copper paint on mod, and my optimal frequency went from 530 to 725. I hope its a fluke man, good luck. If you find a good artifact tester, let me know... ATI tool sucks.
I agree, I hate ATITool.

Rytr
04-27-06, 08:32 PM
I still find myself using AM3 when I want to get to the heart of the problem. It can give indications, even at its default settings, of potential instability problems.

snowmanwithahat
04-27-06, 08:59 PM
I still find myself using AM3 when I want to get to the heart of the problem. It can give indications, even at its default settings, of potential instability problems.

i agree, AM3 will artifact like crazy if something is out of place, or a good 30 min. session playing CS:S works too, i also run ATI tool, which is a great program despite the negative criticism

Quijonsith
04-28-06, 12:36 AM
ATItool version 0.25 beta 14 (the latest beta I believe) works fine with my 7900gt. The last non beta version wouldn't detect artifacts properly, but this beta not only detects the artifacts, but it also detects my clock speeds, allows me to change them with no cap, and detects my gpu temps.

SLippe
04-28-06, 12:46 AM
ATItool version 0.25 beta 14 (the latest beta I believe) works fine with my 7900gt. The last non beta version wouldn't detect artifacts properly, but this beta not only detects the artifacts, but it also detects my clock speeds, allows me to change them with no cap, and detects my gpu temps.
And how long did it take it to find your Max? I for one don't like waiting for over an hour on one Max test.

Quijonsith
04-28-06, 02:05 AM
If you don't like waiting an hour for one max test then you must not be much of a CPU overclocker. Video card overclocking goes along the same concepts as CPU overclocking, only you don't need to run a program like Prime95 for 8 to 12 hours to verify your overclock is stable enough to use 24/7.

I don't use the "find max" functions of the program. I use my own judgement as a baseline of somewhere to start aswell as the results other users have obtained (or even using "detect optimal" from coolbits as a baseline). Then I run the artifact scanner for about 3 to 5 minutes. No artifacts, I increase the core 10 or 20mhz and do it again. When I get artifacts I back down my clock by 5mhz and go again. No artifacts for 25 minutes, I call it good.

The find max function is for lazy people who don't want to do the overclock and stress testing themselves. They just want a one click fix all to do it for them. If you didn't want to use the overclocking and stress testing manually, that's your own fault. That doesn't make it a bad program.

Also, ATItool will reveal an unstable overclock far sooner than just playing games and benchmarks will. You could easily play games and complete benches for hours with no signs of trouble, and some weeks later your card could suddenly start having problems and soon after flat out die. I had one card I overclocked and didn't understand the idea behind wanting zero artifacts in ATItool. It had showed artifacts on that card (which was ATI) but my games played fine. A week later my games started crashing. I dropped the card back to stock but games kept crashing. Next day my computer wouldn't even boot and I had to get a new video card. Long story short, ATItool can save your video card.