PDA

View Full Version : Call of Cthulhu

Pages : [1] 2

grey_1
04-26-06, 04:47 PM
Just got mine from ebgames. Will post some screenies later.

CaptNKILL
04-26-06, 04:50 PM
Its out for PC!?!? :eek:

I was looking forward to this game on PC like 4 years ago... I cant wait to try it.

Is there going to be a demo?

Peoples-Agent
04-26-06, 04:52 PM
This came out weeks ago didn't it?

WTF is going on in the US lately with distributors?

It's terrible.

christos
04-26-06, 05:09 PM
I found the story drew me in from the beginning. Very creepy. The graphics are passable. The AI is not good. However, I must admit, despite this, I'm still enjoying this game and feel the need to continue to see what happens next.

I'm running at 1920 x 1200 with max everything in game and forced through the nvidia cp and still getting >200 fps.

TheManko
04-26-06, 06:24 PM
The game is also very cheap. 25$ at release!

CaptNKILL
04-26-06, 07:26 PM
I found a review... this sounds great :)
http://www.gameshark.com/pc/reviews/2346/Call-of-Cthulhu-Dark-Corners-of-the-Earth-Review.htm

CaptNKILL
04-26-06, 07:34 PM
The game is also very cheap. 25$ at release!
Doesnt look like its in stock most places but I've seen $30-$37 so far... whered you find it for $25? Im cheap :p

Clay
04-26-06, 08:27 PM
I knew it was out for Xbox (original) but didn't know the PC version was out...please report back what you guys think that have played it.

grey_1
04-26-06, 08:30 PM
I found the story drew me in from the beginning. Very creepy. The graphics are passable. The AI is not good. However, I must admit, despite this, I'm still enjoying this game and feel the need to continue to see what happens next.

I'm running at 1920 x 1200 with max everything in game and forced through the nvidia cp and still getting >200 fps.

Yep, I'd agree. I got it for $29.00 @ ebgames, Stoughton, MA.

http://s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/cocmainwin32 2006-04-26 17-48-28-93.bmp (http://s2.supload.com/free/cocmainwin32 2006-04-26 17-48-28-93.bmp/view/)

http://s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/cocmainwin32 2006-04-26 18-30-09-92.bmp (http://s2.supload.com/free/cocmainwin32 2006-04-26 18-30-09-92.bmp/view/)

EDIT: I did have one hard lock when pushing a cabinet, smooth other than that.

1600x1200
4xAA
nvcp @ quality, no other changes

SH0DAN
04-26-06, 11:38 PM
Doesnt look like its in stock most places but I've seen $30-$37 so far... whered you find it for $25? Im cheap :p

I picked up a copy on Ebay for 25 usd at auction,and 6.50 for shipping with USPS 4-10 day ground.The graphics are ok~,but the gameplay is great,AI is not bad! The game is ULTRA spooky and allot of fun !!! ;) It took me about 19 hours to get through it.Played it in the dark with my Senn 497's and I totally loved it! I think I am gonna replay it,next weekend with my 2005FPW as the game supports widescreen fairly well.

grey_1
04-28-06, 06:32 AM
Just wanted to post some impressions after a few hrs of gameplay.
graphics - think "the suffering"
AI - very simplistic, no surprizes
atmosphere - not bad at all in areas, genuinely creepy at times
puzzles -lots, not to bad. Won't get anywhere without solutions in this game.
Relies on to many old tricks. i.e. jumps that are barely doable. attempt,heal, attempt,die. Rinse lather repeat

Not to shabby for 29us, not much for replayability.

ArturNOW
08-29-06, 03:04 AM
Is anyone playing this game? I'm right now and I find this game verry interesting and innovative. CoC was in development for so many year that graphics ain'd good, but what's the most appealling 'bout this game are atmosphere and, let's call it this way, cinematic experience. The only thing that annoys me so far is respawning enemies, which kinda kill experience especially if you consider more realistic healing.

CaptNKILL
08-29-06, 03:38 AM
Is anyone playing this game? I'm right now and I find this game verry interesting and innovative. CoC was in development for so many year that graphics ain'd good, but what's the most appealling 'bout this game are atmosphere and, let's call it this way, cinematic experience. The only thing that annoys me so far is respawning enemies, which kinda kill experience especially if you consider more realistic healing.
I found some parts of the game pretty frustrating, but I really think this is one of the best games I've played in a long time.

Truely a classic IMO.

Amazing atmosphere, excellent sound effects, excellent puzzles... and some scenes really get your adrenaline pumping (like running from the baddies that break into your appartment). I think this one might even be better the second time through. Mostly because the trial and error "die, redo 5 minutes of gameplay, die, redo it again slightly differently... die... repeat" stuff wore on my nerves a bit. Since I know what to do in the tough spots now, the whole experience will be a lot more fluid.

Man, I'm just thinking of some of the different parts of this game... its SO solid, all the way through.

The shooter portion is top notch (Blasting creeps with that bolt-action military rifle you find brought back memories of MOH:Allied Assault!), the mystery\adventure elements are excellent, the stealthy levels are a great addition to the game and the horror elements are probably the scariest things I've seen in a game.

I had ups and downs while playing this because some parts are so difficult, but looking back on it, this game contains some of the most memorable gaming experiences I've ever had.

ArturNOW
08-29-06, 03:44 AM
And this part where this "jelly" thing is after you in Marsh's factor it was creepy. But IMO sneaking doesn't work for me... in Thief series you always knew if someone sees you here it's not that easy so since I have a gun I don't sneak at all. Just imagine this game with dynamic shadows...

CaptNKILL
08-29-06, 03:48 AM
But IMO sneaking doesn't work for me... in Thief series you always knew if someone sees you here it's not that easy so since I have a gun I don't sneak at all. Just imagine this game with dynamic shadows...
Remember the first (long) portion of the game though. No gun. And all of those goons looking for you. I thought that part was pretty cool. Very hard, but deffinitely cool. :)

And dynamic shadows would have been the icing on the cake for this game. The original videos for the game showed full dynamic lighting and shadows (sorta like Doom 3) but I guess most of that game was canned in order to make this one. It would have been interesting to see what it would have been like if they kept going with that version, but this one is deffinitely top notch on its own. :)

EDIT: By the way, if you havent played Clive Barker's Undying, its pretty similar to this game, but with a lot more shooting. And anyone that liked Undying will probably love Call of Cthulhu :D

Also, theres a texture updater patch to make Undying look better here: http://www.undyingitalia.it/public/index.php

ArturNOW
08-29-06, 04:35 AM
Remember the first (long) portion of the game though. No gun. And all of those goons looking for you. I thought that part was pretty cool. Very hard, but deffinitely cool. :)

And dynamic shadows would have been the icing on the cake for this game. The original videos for the game showed full dynamic lighting and shadows (sorta like Doom 3) but I guess most of that game was canned in order to make this one. It would have been interesting to see what it would have been like if they kept going with that version, but this one is deffinitely top notch on its own. :)

EDIT: By the way, if you havent played Clive Barker's Undying, its pretty similar to this game, but with a lot more shooting. And anyone that liked Undying will probably love Call of Cthulhu :D

Also, theres a texture updater patch to make Undying look better here: http://www.undyingitalia.it/public/index.php

I was playing Undying, good game but closer to FPS. What's more I like CoC is no HUD, no crosshair... and the way gun behaves. You just can't shoot one bullet after another with revolver because you have to waint until your hand is in right position. I mean you are able to shoot but you'll mostly miss.

BioHazZarD
08-29-06, 05:11 AM
eh wasnt this game released long time ago ? i remmeber i played it some time ago.. didnt like it though.

ArturNOW
08-29-06, 05:24 AM
eh wasnt this game released long time ago ? i remmeber i played it some time ago.. didnt like it though.
It was released on april 26th for PC.

CaptNKILL
08-29-06, 10:16 AM
It was released on april 26th for PC.
Yeah this is an old thread :D

stncttr908
08-29-06, 01:46 PM
GoGamer.com to the rescue again.

http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGamer.storefront/SESSIONID/Product/View/001CALLC

Bah, old thread resurrection. Oh well, if anyone else wants it, here it was for < $18.

SH64
08-29-06, 01:50 PM
Hmm i dont know why i skipped this game .. maybe i'll look for it sometime ..

btw i always wondered how do you pronounce "Cthulhu" ?? :confused:

stncttr908
08-29-06, 01:53 PM
I say "Cuh-tull-hoo" or something like that.

ArturNOW
08-29-06, 06:08 PM
Hmm i dont know why i skipped this game .. maybe i'll look for it sometime ..

btw i always wondered how do you pronounce "Cthulhu" ?? :confused:
Just play the game your character say it and it like "Cuh-tull-hoo".

Grate game I'm on a ship right now and it's swinging (nana2)

CaptNKILL
08-29-06, 06:10 PM
Just play the game your character say it and it like "Cuh-tull-hoo".

Grate game I'm on a ship right now and it's swinging (nana2)
Oh god! The ship level!

Its freaking insane!!! :eek:

karkrash81
08-29-06, 09:38 PM
I thought the game was okay, several of the puzzles were too tough for me to figure out...I usually don't like games where I have to consult a guide to get through it...

The ship scene was my favorite moment...

I found the main character's lack of emotion during the game a little weird...

As a fan of Lovecraft, I did enjoy how the game references many stories of his...nice touch for those in the know.