PDA

View Full Version : GRAW howto: using 'high' textures on 256mb cards, feedback needed

Pages : [1] 2

myshkinbob
04-26-06, 03:56 PM
Hi all, so i just had a great game of the GRAW demo, and i thought the textures looked a bit fuzzy (playing at 1280x960, around 30-50fps). Then i read the demo feedback thread here and noticed it doesn't allow 'high' texture quality setting for 256MB cards, only 512MB ones.

someone posted you could change the "texture_quality" option from medium to high in the renderer_settings.xml, but that it still used medium textures. Well....

browse to <where you installed graw>/Data/Settings/renderer_settings.xml and right click to edit it.

Halfway down the file is the "texture_quality" variable, and if you have a 256MB card it'll probably say....

<variable name="texture_quality" value="medium"/>

Change the value= to "high", but like the OP said in the demo thread, that won't work, you'll still see medium textures ingame. But look at the settings below it, from that one right to the bottom where it says </render_settings>. If you set all of those to "high" instead of "medium" (as well as the "texture_quality" variable), you get full resolution textures. :)

Eg. :

<snip>
<variable name="texture_quality" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_backdrop" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_buildings" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_buildings_low" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_characters" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_default" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_effects" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_ground" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_lightmaps" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_no_lod" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_plants" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_player_vehicles" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_props" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_props_bump" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_props_high" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_silhouettes" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_sky" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_vehicles" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_weapons" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_weapons_third" value="high"/>
</render_settings>

I just tested it out on the quick, and it works, you get much better texture quality, but it does have a bad effect on framerate. At 1280x960, medium textures gave me an avg/low/high framerate of 35/25/60+. Switching it to high textures through those last 20 values in the xml file, the framerates dropped to 25/18/40. Playable, considering the pace of GRAW, but could be better i'm sure!

So... I kinda need two favours from anyone willing. :)

First the easy one, please could someone with a 512mb card attach their default renderer_settings.xml file, found in the location mentioned above, to a post here, so we could see the default "high" texture quality settings. Preferably single card and not SLi. Cheers. :)

Second up, fellow 256MB card owners, be it 6800GT/ultra, or 7800GS/GT, it'd be good to find out which of those last 20 options have the biggest impact upon IQ and performance, so we can find a good balance of speed and sharp textures. It's to all our benefit, so anyone who'd like to test a few combinations out, please do, and post your findings.

I'm in the UK and off to sleep here now, so hopefully i'll wake up to find a start has been made on it, otherwise i'll test it all out tomorrow evening here and let everyone know which settings are worth the "high" status and which make little difference for a lot of lost fps. :)

By the way, great demo i thought, so i'll be getting the full game when it's out, very impressed!

S.I.N
04-26-06, 04:06 PM
Thanks I will try this because my game currently looks like 1998 crap and my system has 7800GT. I ****ing hate **** like this, it should be our damn right for the game to run like crap if we want it to without this BS of having a card with a certain amount of mb before other options become available. Its pure ****, if a 360 can run this game with no problems so should my system without being force ****ed to have a 512mb card. They purposely try to **** us over to buy new hardware.

myshkinbob
04-26-06, 04:19 PM
hehe ok... well card upgrade conspiracy theories aside, let us know which settings you change and how you get on. :)

I suspect you won't like performance with everything on high though, i did a little testing and changing resolution made little difference to fps in "high" mode. That hints it is a genuine texture memory reason for limiting 256MB cards in the game, you're hitting system ram to store some assets.

However, i'm pretty sure the fat can be trimmed, so to speak, and relieve some or most of load on the pci-e/agp aperture, boosting fps back up again to some extent. It's finding the balance though, and why i'm asking for a bit of community help finding it. :)

Padibuz
04-26-06, 04:23 PM
I have placed every possible setting in that xml file to 'high', and the image quality/framerate remains identical, on a 256mb 6800GT@Ultra freqs.
Btw, the game is quite playable with every available in-game option to high, and 1280x1024.
And no, the xml file remains unchanged, the game doesn't overwrite the settings once i run the game.
So, what am I doing wrong ?

Running the full version, btw.

Peoples-Agent
04-26-06, 04:25 PM
Count me in, i'll have a dabble with this too.

Seems complete BS not being allowed High textures, it's not exactly the prettiest game i've seen, even on medium.

I wonder if the demo runs according to MP graphics, isn't it true that the MP graphics are worsened on the XB360 version for some reason?

agentkay
04-26-06, 04:26 PM
Thanks I will try this because my game currently looks like 1998 crap and my system has 7800GT. I ****ing hate **** like this, it should be our damn right for the game to run like crap if we want it to without this BS of having a card with a certain amount of mb before other options become available. Its pure ****, if a 360 can run this game with no problems so should my system without being force ****ed to have a 512mb card. They purposely try to **** us over to buy new hardware.

Lets not forget that the PC version was seperatly developed, its a totally different game engine than the 360 version. Anyway, high detail textures are present as shown in this thread over at gr.net.

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=33368

Edit: Doesnīt surprise me that the game "forces" a certain texture detail limit because the game IS almost unplayable when I used the OPs values but it does look VERY good. Canīt wait to get a 512MB video card for sure. :D

Skinner
04-26-06, 04:49 PM
This my setting when set all to high ingame:

<d3d_device
adapter = "Radeon X1900 Series"
driver = "ati2dvag.dll"
resolution = "1600 1200"
windowed = "false"
refresh_rate = "100"
/>
<render_settings>
<variable name="aspect_ratio" value="0"/>
<variable name="brightness" value="1"/>
<variable name="dynamic_lights" value="true"/>
<variable name="effect_quality" value="high"/>
<variable name="max_anisotropy" value="16"/>
<variable name="post_effect_quality" value="high"/>
<variable name="shadow_quality" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_managed_backdrop" value="false"/>
<variable name="texture_managed_buildings" value="false"/>
<variable name="texture_managed_buildings_low" value="false"/>
<variable name="texture_managed_characters" value="false"/>
<variable name="texture_managed_default" value="false"/>
<variable name="texture_managed_effects" value="false"/>
<variable name="texture_managed_ground" value="false"/>
<variable name="texture_managed_lightmaps" value="false"/>
<variable name="texture_managed_no_lod" value="false"/>
<variable name="texture_managed_plants" value="false"/>
<variable name="texture_managed_player_vehicles" value="true"/>
<variable name="texture_managed_props" value="false"/>
<variable name="texture_managed_props_bump" value="false"/>
<variable name="texture_managed_props_high" value="false"/>
<variable name="texture_managed_silhouettes" value="false"/>
<variable name="texture_managed_sky" value="false"/>
<variable name="texture_managed_vehicles" value="true"/>
<variable name="texture_managed_weapons" value="true"/>
<variable name="texture_managed_weapons_third" value="false"/>
<variable name="texture_quality" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_backdrop" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_buildings" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_buildings_low" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_characters" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_default" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_effects" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_ground" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_lightmaps" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_no_lod" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_plants" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_player_vehicles" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_props" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_props_bump" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_props_high" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_silhouettes" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_sky" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_vehicles" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_weapons" value="high"/>
<variable name="texture_quality_weapons_third" value="high"/>
</render_settings>
</render_config>

stncttr908
04-26-06, 05:40 PM
I'm sure it saves Ubi a lot of customer support headaches by not allowed Joe Schmoe with his 256MB X1300 that came with his Dell to force high detail settings in the game.

MindBlank
04-26-06, 06:59 PM
Also posted in the GRAW feedback thread.

High textures vs. medium textures.
Every texture option that had the value set to medium was forced to high manually by editing the xml file.

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/2751/compare17fb.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/3493/compare28gv.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/5703/compare3a3br.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

There is a visible difference between these two modes...

However, i can understand why they didn't allow 256MB cards to run high texture detail - my HDD was going mad. Almost unplayable at these settings because of the trashing. And the performance hit is pretty big.

LE : Reuploaded because of high bandwith.

Padibuz
04-26-06, 08:01 PM
That's weird. I have finally managed to activate the high textures on my 6800GT@ultra freqs and the game is smooth. Sure, it loads a lot, but during the game there is no swapping, and the framerates are perfectly playable. 1 gig of ram, A64 3200+, not overclocked, and the above mentioned video card.
Using the 84.43 betas.

edit.
However, as i said before, i'm playing the final version of the game, and who knows, maybe the demo has some issues the retail copy doesn't.

agentkay
04-26-06, 08:11 PM
edit.
However, as i said before, i'm playing the final version of the game, and who knows, maybe the demo has some issues the retail copy doesn't.

The demo doesnīt share the same engine build as the retail version. There were "rumors" a few weeks ago that mentioned performance optimizations that didnīt make it into the demo version and some even not into the retail version. A big patch WITH free addional content (incl. new MP modes) for the retail version is in final stage as well. More info about it can be found in the first post of this thread:

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=33242&st=0

Grechie
04-27-06, 03:12 AM
just did this high feature on my 128mb card, after it loads in a bit, it runs resonably smooth on 800X600X120hz, im happy

Peoples-Agent
04-27-06, 07:46 AM
I wonder what the "texture_managed" settings are about.

Hmmm

|MaguS|
04-27-06, 07:50 AM
I wonder what the "texture_managed" settings are about.

Hmmm

Same, As for High Quality Textures with my rig. It's perfectly playable. Im not seeing any huge performance hit, there is one but nothing bad.

myshkinbob
04-30-06, 07:08 PM
Just to update the thread, after playing about with the full game. At least with my 7800GS, the two texture settings that kill fps are 'ground' and 'building' when set to high. So the rest are pretty safe to max out.

There's also reports that setting all the 'managed' items above texture settings to True instead of false, can help running all high on 256MB cards. But you do need at least 1.5GB of system ram. It didn't make any difference with my 7800GS, i expect it helps more on GT's and GTX's though.

Also the full game is more demanding than the demo, so expect to drop the resolution a notch if your framerate is only passable in the demo. On the plus side, you get some awesome graphics on some of the levels, enough to make up for the lack of AA and then some, much like oblivion in HDR mode. :)

agentkay
04-30-06, 07:10 PM
Do you get "Depth of Field" effect in the full game? Some newer screenshots had that effect but its not in the demo.

myshkinbob
04-30-06, 07:30 PM
yeah you do somewhat, in that far away areas are blurry, but as you run closer they come into focus. I've never seen it vice-versa though.

I'm somewhat surprised they used the most bland level for the demo, it doesn't really show their engine in a good light, if you pardon the pun. :)

You get some great looking levels in the desert at sunset, a park at night in pitch black, some industrial areas, and downtown mexico city at different times of day.

One thing GRIN should be congratulated on, is that it really does seem like you're fighting in one huge city, and not lots of different levels. The view from the chopper as you fly between missions really does convey a real city existing below you. Not sure how many polys it must use, but going from this huge cityscape and flying down seamlessly into your next mission is really impressive, and immersive!

I just finished the game an hour ago btw, and the last fight is a total bastard!

Oh and two tips:

Always command your men from the tab key map thing, always, or they'll go god knows where. If you use that map though, they're actually really useful and competent. It does make life a bit slow, but this is ghost recon and 'Perfect Planning Prevents Poor Performance'!

Similar note, if you forget to put your team back in 'Follow' mode and eagerly run off somewhere like a drop zone in safe territory, should they be left somewhere off the view of the tab key map, when you ask them to follow you again, it can't waypoint properly, and they invariably head for the edge of the level and get stuck! So you'll have to backtrack however far to get them in map view, and way point them out of their attempted migration.

agentkay
04-30-06, 07:44 PM
Wow, that sounds very exciting! I canīt wait. :) Thanks for the write-up. One last thing, how does the "time" change between the levels, is it fluid, can you see how the sun moves along the sky and it gets eventually dark, or has each mission a fixed time and when a new mission starts the time magically jumped a few hours forward?

myshkinbob
04-30-06, 08:05 PM
The time does jump a little, but there's no night -> day leaps, for instance you'll finish the night-time mission and then the sun will just be rising when you start the next mission.

I don't think you can wait for the sun to rise or set on a single mission though, but then each mission only takes about an hour or just over (except you will die a lot and reload checkpoints so that's more like at least 2 hours playing time per mission, at least on normal difficulty that i played at).

Between missions you do get the stats screen for the last mission, and then it loads to the weapon loadout screen for the next one.

agentkay
04-30-06, 08:11 PM
I understand. :) Thank you again!

jAkUp
04-30-06, 08:21 PM
How is MP? I was hoping to have my game already :( Ordered from Ubi with next day shipping... a few got theirs already... :(

Peoples-Agent
04-30-06, 08:23 PM
How is MP? I was hoping to have my game already :( Ordered from Ubi with next day shipping... a few got theirs already... :(

You will love the MP JapUp, Domination mode is just crazy.

It's like BF2 where you got to fight for turf, but rather than just being one flag at a time, it's whole segments of the map.

The entire map is "turf" and there for the taking, it's just split into zones.

Going to be some intense firefights, thats for sure.

Peoples-Agent
04-30-06, 08:25 PM

Btw, you should expect to have it drop through your door a day before release, i'm quite certain they have a title on the day or money back policy ....is that right?

agentkay
04-30-06, 08:27 PM
Btw, you should expect to have it drop through your door a day before release, i'm quite certain they have a title on the day or money back policy ....is that right?

The money back policy applies only for the first 500 pre-orders before March 31 I think.

jAkUp
04-30-06, 08:29 PM
How do respawns work in the full versions of MP? How long does it take to respawn?