PDA

View Full Version : Are there actually only two REALLY nice swords in the game? *spoilers*

sillyeagle
04-26-06, 06:38 PM
Looks like Goldbrand and Umbra are the only two really special swords in the game, umbra having the highest damage rating of anything.

This is pretty disappointing to know I already have the best sword in the game, as it doesn't give me much to look forward to in the pursuit of a new weapon, and I'm only at Level 23.

Seems I remember Morrowind having all kinds of awesome weapons, but maybe thats because I played both expansions which added all kinds of super cool and powerful weapons and armor.

DaveW
04-26-06, 06:57 PM
Looks like Goldbrand and Umbra are the only two really special swords in the game, umbra having the highest damage rating of anything.

mind sharing where you got them? I'm still using the blackwater blade. Its nice in that I never run out of fatigue with it, but it doesn't do much damage.

de><ta
04-26-06, 07:16 PM
Both those swords are obtained from doing Daedric Shrine missions. You get Umbra from doing Clavicus Vile's mission and the Goldbrand from completing Boethia's mission.

Just fyi, Umbra is only the second most powerfull sword in the game (damage only, without enchancements). The most powerfull sword in the game is actually the bound sword. Maxed out at 100 strenght, 100 blade and 125% repair it does 35 damage while Umbra manages around 33.

However what makes the Goldbrand rock is that you can swing it like crazy and it has the same reach as the umbra.

Mr. Hunt
04-26-06, 07:27 PM
With my third character (warrior-type), I am just using some mods... I have the buster sword, soul reaver, dragon slayer, and the sword cloud uses in FF7AC :\. Pretty fun because nothing beats swinging a giant sword around. The weight is killing me though lol.

Dr@Home
04-26-06, 08:25 PM
With my third character (warrior-type), I am just using some mods... I have the buster sword, soul reaver, dragon slayer, and the sword cloud uses in FF7AC :\. Pretty fun because nothing beats swinging a giant sword around. The weight is killing me though lol.Happen to have any pics/links of said swords? :D

sillyeagle
04-26-06, 08:27 PM
mind sharing where you got them? I'm still using the blackwater blade. Its nice in that I never run out of fatigue with it, but it doesn't do much damage.

I only have Umbra. To get it go to the road accross the water directly south of the Imperial city waterworks. Then head west a bit and its in the first ruines you come to on the left side of the road. You have to kill Umbra, and she's pretty tough, but I did it at level 16 I think, and only used about a dozen strong healing potions. Its a one on one fight, so not too hard really.

Mr. Hunt
04-26-06, 08:35 PM
Happen to have any pics/links of said swords? :D

Buster Sword (http://www.tessource.net/files/file.php?id=2608)

Advent Children Swords together and apart (http://www.tessource.net/files/file.php?id=3573)

Dragon Slayer (Berserk) (http://www.tessource.net/files/file.php?id=3065)

Now some (Dragon Slayer) aren't so pretty... but I love the Advent Children "full" sword.

killahsin
04-26-06, 11:18 PM
sillyeagle are you sure those are the 2 most powerful swords? Did you check the item list to make sure? I'm just curious.

sillyeagle
04-27-06, 01:09 AM
sillyeagle are you sure those are the 2 most powerful swords? Did you check the item list to make sure? I'm just curious.

Well I got my info from the equipment database at gamebanshee, but I don't know how to verify with the game data files anything like that. I assume thats where the database came from.

I did see the bound sword was more powerful, but that doesn't really count in my eyes.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/oblivion/searchequipment.php

CaptNKILL
04-27-06, 02:53 AM
Be careful with sites like that, the game levels all equipment so itl never be like it is on that site. Just compare the damage and enchments on the items you do have to the ones on that site. Theres a very slim chance that they are the same.

For one, a rusty iron shortsword on that page does 5 damage. When you are level one, it does nowhere near that. Maybe 2 damage if youre lucky. The damage numbers on that page are most likely the maximums for those weapons when you have 100 blade skill and 100 strength (dont quote me on that though).

Then there are enchanted weapons and items. They actually will have different levels of enchantments depending on what level you are when you find them. This avoids situations like the ones in this thread. You may have one of the most highly rated weapons, but if you got it a few levels ago, chances are pretty good that if you get another very nice enchanted weapon (for example Goldbrand) in the next 5-10 levels, itl probably be much better than your Umbra.

It sounds hokey to some, but it eliminates the "damn, I have the best weapon at level 2, this is going to get reaaal boring reaaal fast..." situations.

So keep looking. Maybe wait a while to seek out one of the big badass weapons, that way when you get it, it will be a monster.

superklye
04-27-06, 07:29 AM
Be careful with sites like that, the game levels all equipment so itl never be like it is on that site. Just compare the damage and enchments on the items you do have to the ones on that site. Theres a very slim chance that they are the same.

For one, a rusty iron shortsword on that page does 5 damage. When you are level one, it does nowhere near that. Maybe 2 damage if youre lucky. The damage numbers on that page are most likely the maximums for those weapons when you have 100 blade skill and 100 strength (dont quote me on that though).

Then there are enchanted weapons and items. They actually will have different levels of enchantments depending on what level you are when you find them. This avoids situations like the ones in this thread. You may have one of the most highly rated weapons, but if you got it a few levels ago, chances are pretty good that if you get another very nice enchanted weapon (for example Goldbrand) in the next 5-10 levels, itl probably be much better than your Umbra.

It sounds hokey to some, but it eliminates the "damn, I have the best weapon at level 2, this is going to get reaaal boring reaaal fast..." situations.

So keep looking. Maybe wait a while to seek out one of the big badass weapons, that way when you get it, it will be a monster.
I got a sweet mod, I can't remember the name, but it levels any items that are like that at whatever level it is that they go up and get stronger...so this way, you can do quests whenever and you'll still end up with the best items in the game. :)

Gnu_Raiz
04-27-06, 09:46 AM
With all this talk about Goldbrand, and Umbra which I think are over rated. All you have to do is get a really nice sigil stone with some good buffs and you will have a killer weapon.

The last sigil stone I picked up was for a 25 pt absorb health, and a 15 pt buff to health. I also have been seeing 25 pt shock, and 25 pt fire. If you put this on a Daedric Warhammer you have a weapon that is heavy but beats Umbra, and Goldbrand hands down.

According to the guide a Daedric Warhammer without enchantment's will have a base attack of 28, with master armorer you can get that to about 33 or 35, add on the 25 pt of damage. If you use poison you can almost take out most anything in less than 5 hits.

anticitizenzero
04-27-06, 09:47 AM
If you get the Trancedent stone or whatever its called from oblivion on like level 22 or higher, you can enchant a weapon to do like 30pts additional damage each hit, if you add that to the diadric claymore you can pretty much destroy anything in 2 hits

de><ta
04-28-06, 05:29 PM
Just found another cool weapon called Chillrend. Its a blue glass sword with frost enchancements and it is levelled. So I did the killing fields mission when I was at lvl 29 and the weapon is bloody awesom. 21 frost damage and 22 base damage with weakness to frost on strike.

Doesnt beat the bound claymore but still its decent. Favourite weapon so far is the silvery falls. Souped up silver claymore you get near Kvatch.