PDA

View Full Version : 7900 series, still angle dependant aniso?

Gameoverplaye2
04-26-06, 11:24 PM
Since NV has been using the awful angle dependant anisotropic filtering since the 6800-7800, has anything changed with 7900 or 7600 cards?

ATI thoughtfully allows the user to select to turn angle dependency off, would be nice if NV followed that angle as in any type of Flying sim it really degrades the view, my TI4600 has it all over my 6800GT and I am not sure if I want to pay another $400+ for a card that has crap for AF.

Or do we have to wait for 8xxx cards?

Q
04-26-06, 11:45 PM
Since NV has been using the awful angle dependant anisotropic filtering since the 6800-7800, has anything changed with 7900 or 7600 cards?

ATI thoughtfully allows the user to select to turn angle dependency off, would be nice if NV followed that angle as in any type of Flying sim it really degrades the view, my TI4600 has it all over my 6800GT and I am not sure if I want to pay another $400+ for a card that has crap for AF.

Or do we have to wait for 8xxx cards?

In a nutshell, we have to wait for the 8xxx cards. This was definetly one of my biggest buzz kills when I bought my 6800 Ultra that replaced my Radeon 9800 Pro. I was playing a lot of Vice City at that time, and that game DIED from the transition. It literally looked like the screen was melting at times it was so bad.

Eventually...I learned to live with it. It still bothers me, but NV has been on top until the X1900 which is currently winning the battle in Fear and Oblivion, two games I'm really getting into. I don't know if I'm going to wait for the next round or pick up one of those, but I don't think angle dependent AF is going to be the selling point.

If this really bothers you, pick up an X1900XT. Its an awesome card by all rights. If money is too tight, pick up an X850 or something.... just don't lay down the cash for an NV card if this is seriously going to bug you.

Gameoverplaye2
04-27-06, 01:35 AM
In a nutshell, we have to wait for the 8xxx cards. This was definetly one of my biggest buzz kills when I bought my 6800 Ultra that replaced my Radeon 9800 Pro. I was playing a lot of Vice City at that time, and that game DIED from the transition. It literally looked like the screen was melting at times it was so bad.

Eventually...I learned to live with it. It still bothers me, but NV has been on top until the X1900 which is currently winning the battle in Fear and Oblivion, two games I'm really getting into. I don't know if I'm going to wait for the next round or pick up one of those, but I don't think angle dependent AF is going to be the selling point.

If this really bothers you, pick up an X1900XT. Its an awesome card by all rights. If money is too tight, pick up an X850 or something.... just don't lay down the cash for an NV card if this is seriously going to bug you.

Problem: I'm on a AGP setup and going for the yet to come 7900GT AGP card was somthing to look forward to...until now...what is the problem NV? We now have the power to run decent AF...but NO? Bummer!

ATI? will they come out with X1900XT AGP? If not ..probably still going for 7900GT AGP. :(

glObalist
04-27-06, 01:45 AM
You guys talking about the infamous "shimmering" effect? Still bugs me as hell even on my new card:(

Q
04-27-06, 02:11 AM
You guys talking about the infamous "shimmering" effect? Still bugs me as hell even on my new card:(

Yup, pretty much.

AthlonXP1800
04-27-06, 04:33 AM

Yeah I had shimmering with Tomb Raider: Legend on Forceware Quality setting and I turned up the setting to High Quality, went back to the game and the shimmering was completed gone. :D

High Quality is the only setting to get rid of shimmering for now.

glObalist
04-27-06, 07:48 AM
High quality doen't help me with this unfortunately. Distant objects shimmering is still there, although it's somewhat bearable :P

jaws
05-09-06, 11:08 AM
So there is no way of turning off shimmering on a 6800gt without turning on HQ? Not even messing with the optimizations? I notice a big improvement when I put Quality on in WoW