PDA

View Full Version : HL2 CD Key question

JediKnight
04-27-06, 01:29 AM
I had HL2 since it came out but recently my little one stook my HL2 DVD and made it dissapear forever. I just purchased the DVD again and cant activate the key. It says I already have these games installed. Anyone knows twhat that means? I just hope I can reinstall the game in the future if need to. thanks

ynnek
04-27-06, 01:36 AM
if you already registered HL2 with Steam before, then you don't need your original cd anymore... or even your cd key anymore. Just redownload it under your account. Thats the whole point of Steam.

In fact, its pointless to have a physical copy.. because you always have to go through Steam to activate it when you install/reinsatll it. Only advantage of a physical copy is it can cut down on your install time, if you have a slow internet connection. But you always have to ask Steam for permission to play.

If you still want ot register your new copy, you can always just create another Steam account.

JediKnight
04-27-06, 02:25 AM
so, even though I had the physical DVD, when I want to reintall it lets say in the future for a reinstall or whatever, I can just log into steam and DOWNLOAD it? If thats the case, I just paid $40. for another DVD, and CD Key, that I dont need. Nice.
thanks for replies.

Sazar
04-27-06, 09:49 AM
Yes.

I lost my cd key as well but Steam has all my info saved so I'm good to go :cool:

Everyone bashes Steam, but it has it's upside as well.

john19055
04-27-06, 09:54 PM
You still have to install from the DVD but as long as you remember your user name you do not need a key ,I am actually starting to like Steam after this Starforce mess,really I love Steam compared to Starforce.

K-1
04-27-06, 10:21 PM
so, even though I had the physical DVD, when I want to reintall it lets say in the future for a reinstall or whatever, I can just log into steam and DOWNLOAD it? If thats the case, I just paid $40. for another DVD, and CD Key, that I dont need. Nice.
thanks for replies.

well, look on the bright side, now your kids have another DVD to play with and make disappear! :D

JediKnight
04-28-06, 01:22 AM
LOL, thanks alot. I always thought Steam was a good idea. Now I love it.

:) :)

ynnek
04-28-06, 12:47 PM
Well, the reliance on Steam is a good and bad thing.

Good as in once you are registered, you can completely lose everything else.

Bad, as in every time you want to reinstall, or play for at least the first time, you have to authenticate with Steam. Lets just hope Steam never goes down in the near future.

I'm mostly against Steam, because of this need to remotely authenticate yourself.. At least with Starforce, you don't need to go outside to get permission to install and play the game. Its why I'm extrodinarly hesitant to get anything thats hooked up with Steam.. If I knew my copy of HL2 was like this, I wouldn't have bothered to get the 9600XT card that came with the HL2 key (ironically had my 6800GT by the time HL2 came out)

That and its really difficult to lend/borrow my copy to my friends.. Cause you really can't unless you give them your Steam account.. But then you won't be able to play your other games associated with that Steam account... unless you made a new Steam account for each new game you got over Steam.. (Yes, when I lend a copy to my friends, I won't be playing that game, untl they give it back.. and hten they uninstall it when they are done, and are trusthworthy enough not to steal my CD key)

And who knows how secure Steam is too.