PDA

View Full Version : 7900 GT 2D mode freezing

Deviad
04-27-06, 04:45 AM
Hello everyone,
this is my first post here, I hope you can help.
I'm experiencing a similar issue to the 7900 GTX with my ASUS EN7900 GT (not the pro overclocked version).
The problem is that the computer system keeps on crashing after a random time in 2D mode even when I'm doing nothing but downloading things or the screen-saver is on, I didn't have this problem with my old 7800 GTX.
Since this card comes with the same frequencies both in 2D and 3D mode, I lowered them in 2D mode and increased the speed of the fan as well (I did this by editing the bios with nibitor and flashing the BIOS).
Unlucky it didn't solve the problem. Moreover the temperatures are OK, the GPU one is 48 C (118,4 F).
I'd like to know if this problem is like the one you are experiencing on 7900 GTX or it's something different.
Lucky asus gives 3 years of warranty.
Thanks forward for help,
hope you'll get a better luck.

P.S.: I forgot to say:
Mobo: DFI lan party ultra dr sli
CPU: AMD 64 3500+

rflair
04-27-06, 04:54 AM
My first 7900GT was also an ASUS plain version and it experienced the exact same thing, lockups in 2D and visual corruption but only after the computer being on 3-4+ hours, I returned it to the shop I bought it from and they had no more ASUS but had the BFG model and I took it, this second 7900GT is running great.

Deviad
04-27-06, 05:35 AM
My first 7900GT was also an ASUS plain version and it experienced the exact same thing, lockups in 2D and visual corruption but only after the computer being on 3-4+ hours, I returned it to the shop I bought it from and they had no more ASUS but had the BFG model and I took it, this second 7900GT is running great.

I called my reseller who lucky is a friend of mine and it's a mess.
He took this mobo from a distributor near my city who doesn't have many brands just Asus, sparkle and Point View concerning the 7900 GT... for the point view I have to pay 20 more. :(
Before I had a Leadtek 7800 GTX which performed like a charm.

Deviad
04-27-06, 05:54 AM
I just called ASUS for knowing if they had other reports about this issue, but they said they had no one so it's just my card to be affected by this problem.
Shall I trust them and buy another ASUS to not pay 20 more for the Point of View or is it better to spend a lil bit more in my case?