PDA

View Full Version : BFG Tech 7800GS doesn't want to work!

bobby_digital
04-27-06, 05:34 AM
Hi all, I was hoping you guys may be able to help. I upgraded to a 7800GS (AGP) after the GPU of my Leadtek 6800 TDH went boom, as well as upgrading my PSU from 350watts (with 15A on the 12v rail) to a Hiper HK580 (http://www.hipergroup.com/English/products/hpu-4k580.html) 580watt with 2 x 12V Rails (one with 20A and one with 18A). This was because BFG were saying that my PC should have at least 400watts and 20A on the 12v rail. I installed the PSU yesterday and the card doesnít want to work! The PC initially loads up with the POST screen, sees my two hard drives, CD writer, DVD writer and floppy disc but then as it attempts to load Windows (the Windows XP Pro screen appears with the loading bar at the bottom) my monitor goes black and the LED on the monitor goes from green to amber/orange to signify that there is no signal coming from the card. Trying to load in safe mode has the same result, some text appears on the screen to display what is being loaded and then the screen goes black again. Once that happens my PC stops loading with no hard drive activity for the next few minutes (the red LED light stops flashing).

My old, old Geforce 2 MX400 card seems to work without a problem (it doesnít require the 4 pin molar from the PSU) so it is not the AGP slot. My Asus motherboard is the model P4S8X-X which can support up to AGP 8x; I assume this is an AGP 2.0 compliant motherboard (as requested by BFG Tech)? I removed the battery and reset to default settings to no avail. It canít be the drivers otherwise safe mode should be able to boot. I do have RivaTuner still installed on my PC with which I unlocked all the pipelines from my Leadtek 6800; could this be causing the problem? But if so, why didnít my old Geforce 2 card get affected? I have 1.5GB of RAM and a 3GHz Pentium 4 chip.

I am very frustrated and thinking about returning the card and waiting for my 6800 to come back from repair; any help offered would be very much appreciated.

AthlonXP1800
04-27-06, 05:54 AM
Try update your motherboard with latest BIOS to see if it fix.

bobby_digital
04-27-06, 06:30 AM
The last bios update was from 2003 so not sure if it will work but I'll try.

bobby_digital
04-28-06, 02:32 AM
Well after completely wiping the hard drive it seems to have worked...must have been bad drivers...

JMerrick
04-28-06, 02:49 AM
Windows was trying to load drivers for your old card with your new card, leading to a lockup. The whole "unified driver architecture" thing should have avoided that, but sometimes it doesn't.

You should have booted in safe mode and uninstalled the drivers, woulda saved you a complete reinstall.