PDA

View Full Version : Best water cooling blocks for 7900 GTX SLI?

Digital_Trans
04-27-06, 03:53 PM
Hey, NV News Gang! I need your help! what would you consider to be the best water cooling blocks for my SLI configuration. I want really low temperatures when idle and when in full throttle.

Banko
04-27-06, 04:12 PM
Probably the Danger Den low-profile maze4 blocks.

Digital_Trans
04-28-06, 01:24 AM
Probably the Danger Den low-profile maze4 blocks.

That won't even cover up the ram, only the GPU!

ricercar
04-28-06, 10:41 PM
I second the vote for Innovatek. I have two rigs with Innovatek blocks, and they're very low-temperature compared to my other water-cooled rigs.

Shop at http://highspeedpc.com, and ask for Scott. He'sbeen my watecooling savior for at least 3 years.

Digital_Trans
04-28-06, 11:37 PM
I second the vote for Innovatek. I have two rigs with Innovatek blocks, and they're very low-temperature compared to my other water-cooled rigs.

Shop at http://highspeedpc.com, and ask for Scott. He'sbeen my watecooling savior for at least 3 years.

Please give me a report on your temps at idle and full load with the Innovatek blocks in SLI mode. Also, the Innovatek blocks are not copper plated! Copper cools better so why not copper instead of the aluminum?

pkirby11
04-29-06, 01:19 AM
I like the Koolance VID-200-L06 (Vid) water block, it cools your RAM and GPU and the block for the GPU is copper. I installed this system 3 weeks ago, first water cooled system I've bought and I've been very happy. I use Artic Silver, to give you an example my temps are way lower. I run x1900's in cross fire, before I idle'd at 56C and now I idle at 45C. Under load my temps were 76C and I idle at 56C now. Pretty nice I'd say, check them out I like them very much.

Digital_Trans
04-29-06, 02:28 AM
I like the Koolance VID-200-L06 (Vid) water block, it cools your RAM and GPU and the block for the GPU is copper. I installed this system 3 weeks ago, first water cooled system I've bought and I've been very happy. I use Artic Silver, to give you an example my temps are way lower. I run x1900's in cross fire, before I idle'd at 56C and now I idle at 45C. Under load my temps were 76C and I idle at 56C now. Pretty nice I'd say, check them out I like them very much.

================================================== ========
That's what I have now, Koolance VID-200-L06 (Vid) in SLI.
I need to figure out away to lower my temperatures some more on both cards in SLI. I applyed the Artic Silver 5 to the GPU and Céramique on the 512GDDR3 Ram. Did you use the conductive Artic Silver 5 silver colored paste on the GPU and Ram on your ATI? and also do you have a 256MBATI? or 512MB?

pkirby11
04-29-06, 03:51 AM
That's what I have now, Koolance VID-200-L06 (Vid) in SLI.
I need to figure out away to lower my temperatures some more on both cards in SLI. I applyed the Artic Silver 5 to the GPU and Céramique on the 512GDDR3 Ram. Did you use the conductive Artic Silver 5 silver colored paste on the GPU and Ram on your ATI? and also do you have a 256MBATI? or 512MB?

Basically my whole system is Koolance. I use the Exos-2, and of course those blocks too. So yeah, I put AS 5 on the memory and RAM which gave me those temps. I've not run into any problems so far, I know AS 5 is conductive to a point and I did when first applying it get a little on the boards but if your cargeful even if you get it on the boards you can get it cleaned off pretty well. Borh my cards are 512MB.

One thing I had a problem with is one of the bolts on the water block for the GPUs broke, so the connection to the GPU and memory were un-even. I had to buy a new block just to replace the bolt, kind of bogus but it was my fault. You might want to check and make sure the connection the GPU and the memory are even. It made a bit of difference to me.

Just some suggestions, sorry your having such problems with the Koolance block, other than my little snafu they've worked out nice. I was a little worried at first about the AS 5 and worrying that I might have gotten some on the board. But they cards still run just fine so I don't think I have anything to worry about their, I hope. :D Good luck man.

Digital_Trans
04-29-06, 09:44 AM
Basically my whole system is Koolance. I use the Exos-2, and of course those blocks too. So yeah, I put AS 5 on the memory and RAM which gave me those temps. I've not run into any problems so far, I know AS 5 is conductive to a point and I did when first applying it get a little on the boards but if your cargeful even if you get it on the boards you can get it cleaned off pretty well. Borh my cards are 512MB.

One thing I had a problem with is one of the bolts on the water block for the GPUs broke, so the connection to the GPU and memory were un-even. I had to buy a new block just to replace the bolt, kind of bogus but it was my fault. You might want to check and make sure the connection the GPU and the memory are even. It made a bit of difference to me.

Just some suggestions, sorry your having such problems with the Koolance block, other than my little snafu they've worked out nice. I was a little worried at first about the AS 5 and worrying that I might have gotten some on the board. But they cards still run just fine so I don't think I have anything to worry about their, I hope. :D Good luck man.

================================================== ======

Question? Do you turn the dual fans on your Exos-2 all the way up?
If so it will drop the temps even lower. Let me know if your turning the fan speed control up to max or give me a number from 1 to 10 :D Thanxs!

eva2000
04-29-06, 11:15 AM
That won't even cover up the ram, only the GPU!
that's what ramsinks are for and it's better than all in one covers for video cards having GPU on water and ram with ramsinks

http://fileshosts.com/videocards/HIS/X1800XT/JaycarMosfets/html/thumbnails/thumb_6.jpg (http://fileshosts.com/videocards/HIS/X1800XT/JaycarMosfets/html/photos/6.html)

pkirby11
04-29-06, 01:32 PM
================================================== ======

Question? Do you turn the dual fans on your Exos-2 all the way up?
If so it will drop the temps even lower. Let me know if your turning the fan speed control up to max or give me a number from 1 to 10 :D Thanxs!

I just let it sit at auto. :D Under gaming I think thats like 3 or 4, for the temps. I don't run it full blast thats for sure, too noisy. :p

Digital_Trans
04-29-06, 04:33 PM
I just let it sit at auto. :D Under gaming I think thats like 3 or 4, for the temps. I don't run it full blast thats for sure, too noisy. :p

My temps get up to 68c on both 7900's if I set the fans to auto. I'm using level 6 setting for now. This away my 7900's are idle at like 42c GPU-1 and 46c on GPU-2 still even at level 6 the noise isn't to bad. On another note, I'm going back to water cooling my hard drives. I noticed that my temps were alot lower when I use to water cool my two WD-Raptor HDD's. They acted like thermal shields and took alot of the heat problems away from my 7900's even withthe fans set on auto select. You have to remember, I have a massive computer system internal.

Specs: Internal Hardware-

Koolance PC3-700 Series Color: Silver
Corsair XMS-2 2GB (4x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel
Koolance WaterCooled Intel Pentium D Extreme Edition 3.6 GHz with Hyper Threading
Asus P5N32 SLI-Deluxe Full X16 SLI Support Motherboard
2 BFG 7900 GTX OC 512MB in SLI mode WaterCooled with Koolance VID-200-L06 (Vid)
Creative Labs X-Fi Fatality with X64 Ram
SinTek 600+ Watt Power Supply
Western Digital SATA-36GB-Raptor/10,000 RPM 8MB Cache-OS - Koolance WaterCooled
Western Digital SATA-75GB-Raptor/10,000 RPM 8MB Cache-Games - Koolance WaterCooled
Western Digital SATA-250GB-Caviar SE/7,200 RPM 16MB Cache-Storage
Lite-On DVD/CD/R/RW Dual Layer
================================================== ========================

pkirby11
04-29-06, 09:32 PM
Curious whats your CPU temp at with that setup?

Digital_Trans
04-29-06, 11:32 PM
Curious whats your CPU temp at with that setup?

Well, the CPU temps when set on auto were 51c or 52c
Now that I've set the the fan speed to level 6 the CPU temp is reading at 34c
to 35c It will be even lower once I water cool both WD Raptors HDD's next week.

pkirby11
04-30-06, 12:11 AM
Cool I was just wondering if the Intel processor had anything to do with the high temps. I have an AMD X2 4200+ and those don't run nearly as hot as the P4 Extreme editions so I thought maybe your whole cooling system might have just ran hotter than mine and thats were the difference in temps came from.

Not real sure, I like my Koolance system seems to be working quite nicely for me. I hope you can get it figured out in the end, just post if you have any questions about how I run mine. Also to note, so far I've not OC my GPUs which also could be making a difference.

Digital_Trans
04-30-06, 12:19 AM
Cool I was just wondering if the Intel processor had anything to do with the high temps. I have an AMD X2 4200+ and those don't run nearly as hot as the P4 Extreme editions so I thought maybe your whole cooling system might have just ran hotter than mine and thats were the difference in temps came from.

Not real sure, I like my Koolance system seems to be working quite nicely for me. I hope you can get it figured out in the end, just post if you have any questions about how I run mine. Also to note, so far I've not OC my GPUs which also could be making a difference.

Yes, the Pentium D 840 Extreme Edition 3.2 GHz does run at higher temps then AMD's.
I'm glad it's water cooled because fans wouldn't do it justice. My BFG 7900's come stock overclocked, so no need to ajust overclocking them. I know once my HDD'S get watercooled I'm going to see a drop in temps. On anothe note, AMD'S do run at lower temps and always have for sometime now.