PDA

View Full Version : To PCI-Express or not to...

ShadowKnyght
04-27-06, 09:07 PM
Ok as you can see in my sig - I am still running a AGP 5900 ultra.

I just bought the game Oblivion... Have to turn most of the advanced features off else the frame rate is horrible.

Problem is my system is still an AGP system. - Now to the heart of my question:

Should I buy the last remaining AGP cards in the 7800 series... or is it really worth it to fork out for an entire replacement system - new Mainboard, RAM CPU, etc just to get access to PCI-E...

Is PCI-E really that much better than the 7800 AGP series cards? As I don't plan to use the SLI features anyway due to $$

What do you guys think? Upgrade entire system - or prolong the life of my outdated system by buying another AGP card?

Rytr
04-27-06, 09:14 PM
If $$$ is a first consideration I would suggest you look for one of the newer cards. 6800GS should also be a consideration at just over $200. Not familiar with the 7800 AGP card but I am sure someone here has a take on it.

snowmanwithahat
04-27-06, 09:49 PM
from the looks of it, the 7800 GS should do pretty good with Oblivion, while not the fastest, it'll definetly do your rig justice, and be the cheapest way to get the most performance out of yours for the cash spent

ShadowKnyght
04-27-06, 10:11 PM
So you think it is worth keeping my system a while longer then?

My main issue is that If I fork out the cash on a 7800GS I wont want to upgrade again for at least a couple of years...

I don't want to spend the money though but an upgrade probably should be on the cards in the next 6 to 12 months to bring my system up to spec...

i.e. AMD 64bit, MB that supports Dual SLI PCI-E cards etc... but the resultant $$ is a bit scary when you add on top of that the cost of the GFX cards and CPU etc...

Might play Oblivion for a while and see if I can handle it on my card... I just hate that I know there is a stack going on in the game I will miss unless I upgrade my card... like there was with Morrowind that I missed on my Ti4400 until I upgraded to the 5900 ulta...

What do AGP people recommend as the Best 7800GS card on the market at the moment? only seen them available from the lower quality brands at the moment...

Richteralan
04-27-06, 10:16 PM
Get Asrock 939Dual-SATA2

It has both AGP and PCIe slots. So you can decide it yourself(pirate)

Rytr
04-27-06, 10:20 PM
You might consider the 7600GT as it should perform at 1024x768 with HDR.

Redeemed
04-27-06, 10:20 PM
First of all, getting a new mobo and cpu now would be dumb- all because of AM2 and Intel's new line up.

I recommend just holding out for a while. If NEED BE, get a 6800GS- awesome card. And odds are you could unlock the four locked pipes for the performance of a 6800GT. But if you could wait a bit, I recommend that. Then, when AM2 and Intel's new offerings are out and available- then make upgrade your whole system.

And yes, the 7800 series, 7900 series, X1800 and x1900 series are all respectably faster than even the fastest 7800GS. In regards to the advantages PCI-e has over AGP: next to none. The main advantage currently is SLi, CrossFire, or other implementations of dual graphics solutions. Other than that AGP can keep up with PCI-e bandwidth wise.

I've heard that eVGA is going to be releasing a 7900 series AGP part. Should be around the $300 range. You could also just plan to purchase one of those for your upgrade.

ShadowKnyght
04-27-06, 10:30 PM
How have you guys found these no-name brands go as far as quality and reliablility compared to the big brands?

i.e. XSX, BFG, eVGA sparkle, Galaxy, Gecube, Inno3D, Sapphire, xpertvision etc

compared to Leadtek, ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, etc (the ones that have been around for more than 5 years in main stream sales)

MindBlank
04-28-06, 05:09 AM
First of all, getting a new mobo and cpu now would be dumb- all because of AM2 and Intel's new line up.

I recommend just holding out for a while. If NEED BE, get a 6800GS- awesome card. And odds are you could unlock the four locked pipes for the performance of a 6800GT. But if you could wait a bit, I recommend that. Then, when AM2 and Intel's new offerings are out and available- then make upgrade your whole system.

And yes, the 7800 series, 7900 series, X1800 and x1900 series are all respectably faster than even the fastest 7800GS. In regards to the advantages PCI-e has over AGP: next to none. The main advantage currently is SLi, CrossFire, or other implementations of dual graphics solutions. Other than that AGP can keep up with PCI-e bandwidth wise.

I've heard that eVGA is going to be releasing a 7900 series AGP part. Should be around the $300 range. You could also just plan to purchase one of those for your upgrade.

I don't necessarily agree with this.
I think it's much better to buy a Socket 939 system as prices for these CPUs are going to drop once AM2 is released. And it's much better to have a nice 939 system with good ol' DDR1 and a faster CPU, than a slower AM2 system with DDR2. The performance differences is 2-3% for DDR2 in some cases. In others it's slower because of its high latencies.
Not to mention the prices of the boards in the first few months. *as always*

Besides, this move to DDR2 for AMD is pure marketing. DDR1 runs at least the same. It's not like in Intel's case where having low FSB combined with low bandwith RAM is seriouslt holding the CPU back. Standard DDR400 memory is enough for AMD's needs. Not to mention if you have some nice sticks that run at low latencies.
God dammit i hate Intel...:( They always try to push their technology on rival platforms when it's not needed.

AM2 for AMD is just stupid. You'll be able to find Socket 754, 939 and 940 at the same time on the market. The average consumer must find that extremely confusing.

saturnotaku
04-28-06, 07:41 AM
How have you guys found these no-name brands go as far as quality and reliablility compared to the big brands?

i.e. XSX, BFG, eVGA sparkle, Galaxy, Gecube, Inno3D, Sapphire, xpertvision etc

compared to Leadtek, ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, etc (the ones that have been around for more than 5 years in main stream sales)

I don't know where you're getting your information, but BFG, eVGA (and to a lesser extent) XFX are the market share leaders, way ahead of any of the others you listed.

PeterJensen
04-28-06, 09:52 AM
Well i just got a Leadtek 7600GT that clocks better then most BFG cards.