PDA

View Full Version : Hey Wheres The Xperts!!!!

XDanger
04-28-06, 02:58 PM
Sorry to shout but a simple question like is a mobo that states pci-e x16 (x4 mode only) a bad thing that will slow down my card or not ,has had a lot of looks ,but no answers. Googling has not helped me either so PLEASE :) somebody out there MUST know . PCI-E x16 (x4 mode only) motherboard BAD ? O R NORMAL and OK ?
OK ? :)

Thankyou for your answer in advance

Apologies for the attitude but this question being answered is m.importanto
(nana2)

XDanger
04-28-06, 04:55 PM
is this such a stupid question that it doesnt deserve a response?

sharangad
04-28-06, 04:58 PM
Sorry to shout but a simple question like is a mobo that states pci-e x16 (x4 mode only) a bad thing that will slow down my card or not ,has had a lot of looks ,but no answers. Googling has not helped me either so PLEASE :) somebody out there MUST know . PCI-E x16 (x4 mode only) motherboard BAD ? O R NORMAL and OK ?
OK ? :)

Thankyou for your answer in advance

Apologies for the attitude but this question being answered is m.importanto
(nana2)

A PCI-Ex16 card won't physically fit in a PCI-Ex4 slot.

Monolyth
04-28-06, 05:19 PM
Not true, it all depends if the PCIex4 Slot is open ended. My K8N Diamond Plus has an open-ended x4 slot:

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-130-037-04.JPG

It is the yellow slot, notice is does not have a closing brace, this allows for ONLY PCIe cards that support x1, x2, or x4. If the card does not state that it supports those slots at a reduced speed I would not risk getting the card.

The LSI U320 SCSI PCIex8 supports a slower speed at x4, but it specifically states this.

And XDanger you need to be more specific if possible, what card, what motherboard, etc.

XDanger
04-28-06, 07:55 PM
its a pci-e x16 slot , x4 mode only ????? its the asus 478 board with the agp and pci-e slots

XDanger
04-28-06, 08:04 PM
Asus P4V800D-X ,dont have a pci-e card yet but i would buy this board if its not gonna make a 7900 a donkey, or whatever comes about in a few months time, the motherboard i have at the moment has no raid ,no dual channel memory and "only" 2gb maximum memory so this would be an ok mobo for me ,BUT X4 MODE ONLY , this is the worry for me

XDanger
05-01-06, 08:12 AM
Biostar PT880 Pro-A7 Combo, This mobo has a similar chipset and a pci-e x16 (x4 mode only) slot , looks like x4 mode has about a 20% performance drop ,damn my bad buying choices!!!!!!

orphenshadow
05-01-06, 05:14 PM
it might just be me being an idiot but i thought that the 4x only was if you were runing an AGP and pci E card...

Redeemed
05-01-06, 07:04 PM
it might just be me being an idiot but i thought that the 4x only was if you were runing an AGP and pci E card...

To the best of my knowledge- you can't run both an AGP and PCI-e video card at the same time. It is either one or the other.

If it SAYS that it is a PCI-e X16 slot, then that is what it is. If it says that it is a PCI-e X4 slot, then that is what it is. It cannot be both. PCI-e X8 is what the original SLi boards utilized when two video cards were being utilized.

Redeemed
05-01-06, 07:07 PM
Sorry to shout but a simple question like is a mobo that states pci-e x16 (x4 mode only) a bad thing that will slow down my card or not

You cannot run a 7800 in a PCI-e X4 slot. In fact, I don't think that card would fit physically. But even if it did, and you got a picture, you'd also get insane stability issues (like running an 8x only AGP card in a 2x only AGP slot).

XDanger
05-02-06, 04:53 PM
1. the slot is a x16 slot. (the large size slot)
2. Its runs in x4 mode only ( this means lame )
3. Running apg and pci-e ,thats just stoopid who said that??

Redeemed
05-02-06, 05:03 PM
1. the slot is a x16 slot. (the large size slot)
2. Its runs in x4 mode only ( this means lame )

Could you post a link to the motherboard you are referring to? I ask cause I highly doubt that is accurate. That is like saying your AGP 8x slot is 4x only, or your Ferrari is a Porsche, or you brand new A64 FX 60 is a Pentium D. If you provide a link to a page where it has full specs of this board, that would probably help a lot.

XDanger
05-02-06, 05:10 PM
We believe that our XFX 7800GTX was hampered by the PCI Express slot running in X4 mode on this board. We noted that several of the benchmarks would generate slight stuttering during intensive graphics scenes, and this stuttering only increased when we raised the resolution to 1600x1200 or higher.

the above is from AnandTech about a similar board (Biostar PT880 Pro-A7 Combo) to the one i bought( Asus P4V800D-X)

Redeemed
05-02-06, 05:16 PM
We believe that our XFX 7800GTX was hampered by the PCI Express slot running in X4 mode on this board. We noted that several of the benchmarks would generate slight stuttering during intensive graphics scenes, and this stuttering only increased when we raised the resolution to 1600x1200 or higher.

from anadtech about a similar board to the one i bought

Sounds like you answered your own question. You'd get what they got. It would be better to run your PCI-e X16 card in an actual PCI-e X16 slot that runs at PCI-e X16. Just as you can run an 8x AGP card in a 4x slot, but it does lower the cards performance.

If you want to get a 7800 or 7900 series card, you might as well get a new mobo that fully supports PCI-e X16. Or, just be aware that it will lower your cards performance. Even at that lowered performance, you still might be happy with it. If you already have the mobo, give it a try. If you don't like it, get a new mobo that supports PCI-e X16.

Monolyth
05-02-06, 05:18 PM
PCIe has the ability to backward and forward support the various cards. The determining factor is if the card can operate at the slots speed. That is the only limitation I know of for the PCIe specification, and performance would probably be a problem considering you are effectively dropped the interface bandwidth to 1/4th what it wants. As far as just being able to "run it", I'm not going to say "yes it will work" because I don't know if it will or not. Best bet would be to contact Asus directly for that board, call them up if you don't want to wait for an e-mail reply, say you already own the board etc.

Your only hope on this question was to find someone who had actually used this board with a PCIe x16 card which considering this boards very specific purpose would be difficult to find.

Poice!

XDanger
05-02-06, 05:18 PM
yes but ive answered my own question a few days too late, cant be bothered with rma, hopefully a slight bit of overclocking can make up for it

XDanger
05-02-06, 05:20 PM
yes but ive answered my own question a few days too late, cant be bothered with rma, hopefully a slight bit of overclocking can make up for it, I will get a another mobo when im ready for sli , use the 7900 as the slow card in the future

Redeemed
05-02-06, 05:21 PM
yes but ive answered my own question a few days too late, cant be bothered with rma, hopefully a slight bit of overclocking can make up for it

Well, maybe, or it'll make the bottleneck worse. It isn't the card causing the slow down- it is the slot, and that can't be overclocked. By making the card faster will make the card "hungrier" for the data it needs, thus meaning the slot would have to be able to "feed it" faster, which it wont be able to. Try it. It might work, or it might not. In the worst case scenerio it'd be slower than at stock speeds, and if that happens just restore the original speeds. No harm done. ;)

XDanger
05-02-06, 05:24 PM
this is a very good point you make , it will do for now i guess though

Redeemed
05-02-06, 05:24 PM
use the 7900 as the slow card in the future

That only works in CrossFire I believe. Unless there has been some patch released recently I'm unaware of, in SLi it has to be 2x7900GTs, or 2x7900GTXs, or 2x6800GTs, or 2x7600GTs, etc. It can't be mixed like a 7900GTX with a 6800GT. The cards have to be of the same GPU, but they can be from different manufacturers i.e an ASUS 7900GT paired with an eVGA 7900GT.

XDanger
05-03-06, 02:39 PM
Yes Ive posted a question on the site where I bought the mobo ,(ebuyer) "has anyone put a pci-e x16 card in this yet?" kinda thing , But as you say ,The people who bought this mobo are all in my boat , with a 478 they dont want to get rid of ,and a nice agp card I will just have to put up and shut up ,this board is more of a stepping stone than anything else. PCI-e mobos for 478's VERY hard to find

XDanger
05-07-06, 02:19 PM
one more thing .I got the mobo delivered and nowhere does it say on the box or in the manual X4 MODE ONLY whereas it states "x4 mode" only in the downloadable manual from the asus website. So either my board is a later revision to the 2 year old U.S. board that actually has 16x pci-e ( uk manual rev 1.0 is only from 2005 ) Or the manual is incorrect.
The U.S. had this mobo in 2004 but theres hardly any googleable stuff on the net about it which is suprising as agp has only recently died and this is one of the few dual apg/pci-e mobos