PDA

View Full Version : BFG PPU at BestBuy

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

jAkUp
04-28-06, 05:53 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7739183&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01151&id=1140392802450

Also, some unimpressive GRAW results:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17568825&page=1&pp=30

Lower performance? Oh well, I still want one for the better visual effects.

rudedog
04-28-06, 06:02 PM
For $300 they should include GRAW and or another game

I would consider 300 for the 256 model (if the extra ram actualy does anything)

nV`andrew
04-28-06, 06:07 PM
For $300 they should include GRAW and or another game

I would consider 300 for the 256 model (if the extra ram actualy does anything)

QFT...

TierMann
04-28-06, 06:22 PM
Agreed. A little expensive right now for it's actual uses.

JamesDax
04-28-06, 06:26 PM
The guy is using a single 7800GTX. AGEIA has already stated the you would need a SLI config for best results. This card is for HIGH END gaming rigs.

jAkUp
04-28-06, 06:28 PM
Yes, I am also wondering how effective GRAW is at using the Ageia extensions... it may not be optimized.

retsam
04-28-06, 06:32 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7739183&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01151&id=1140392802450

Also, some unimpressive GRAW results:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17568825&page=1&pp=30

Lower performance? Oh well, I still want one for the better visual effects.sure think about it. there are more objects to render now with the agiea cards.

jAkUp
04-28-06, 06:37 PM
Yes, but that seems like a pretty significant drop, for a few extra textures and models.

Superfly
04-29-06, 02:33 AM
I think the PPU is balls right now:

1. - very expensive

2. - 10-16 fps slower??? WTF, Major ROFL

I'll take Havok FX over this crap anyday. Sooooo glad I did'nt get the OEM card last week, what a lucky escape.

retsam
04-29-06, 04:05 AM
I think the PPU is balls right now:

1. - very expensive

2. - 10-16 fps slower??? WTF, Major ROFL

I'll take Havok FX over this crap anyday. Sooooo glad I did'nt get the OEM card last week, what a lucky escape.
wow i didnt see it was that much slower. maybe this is a driver bug. remember its stil early in the dev process.

as it stands right now i think the is going to be a failure. just for the fact they havent even said a single word of bringing out an entry leve low cost card. if they would do that they could attract a hell of a lot of people and devs along with it. they should make there money off of the high end. and sell the low end cards to the masses just to attract support.

Q
04-29-06, 02:13 PM
First impressions are the ones that people remember. What a shame.

rudedog
04-29-06, 02:31 PM
Maybe it's me but I would have one of these cards sent to every major review site along with a copy of Graw and any other major game that will fully support this new hardware. We need accurate benchmarks from known sites.

I really do hope it's a driver bug as this will surely stunt the growth of this really interesting but new market.

GlowStick
04-29-06, 02:34 PM
OH NO,

if only someone had tried to warn us (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68684)

Fotis
04-30-06, 05:28 AM
More more unimpressive results (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060428/tc_nm/games_physics_dc_2) from Ageias PPU.:thumbdwn:

|MaguS|
04-30-06, 05:38 AM
During a demonstration at Ageia's head office in Mountain View, California, Hegde showed off "CellFactor," an upcoming game in which rival combatants can use mental powers to move, break and fling nearly everything they see.

The chip's power was obvious as a maelstrom of debris whirled about, piling up against walls and scattering across the arena.

But before starting the demonstration, Hegde had to lower the resolution of the game.

The reason? The chip can generate so many objects that even the twin graphics processors in Hegde's top-end PC have trouble tracking them at the highest image quality.

Still, Hegde is betting that gamers will happily sacrifice some graphical fidelity in exchange for greater interactivity.

If we buy a dual videocard setup it means we want the highest quality graphics... by forcing us to lower our desired settings just to gain more objects on screen that do NOT ALTER gameplay is stupid...

On Nvidia's solution...
"The idea of taking a graphics processor away from image generation is nonsensical. Why buy it in the first place if not for graphics?" asked independent market researcher Jon Peddie.

Wouldn't this be the same thing as lowering the games settings to make up for the increased physics when using Aegia? I would rather use nvidia's since it saves me money and I gain the same benefit...

The more I read about this the more I lose interest in it...

OWA
04-30-06, 06:44 AM
It is sounding more and more like they should have waited even a little longer before releasing. Like someone else already noted, it's the first impression that you remember and it's not making a very good one so far. Hopefully some major review sites will give them a whirl soon.

jAkUp
04-30-06, 11:35 AM
Here are some fraps movies!

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=6948704&postcount=71

Marvel_us
04-30-06, 11:58 AM
Not what I was hoping for...I think I'm gonna pass until I see something worth 300 dollars.

Redeemed
04-30-06, 12:08 PM
Wow, have us gamers ever gotten spoiled. Those of you with SLi are just so used to playing at 1600x1200 with everything maxed that when something like this comes up you scream and cry like it is the end of the world.

First of all, I'm mighty disappointed not because of the decrease in framerates (what, were you actually expecting them to increase?) but because the price hovers close to that of a GT. Not very competitive considering SLi can accomplish decent physics while costing just a bit more (and if you don't enable accelerated physics on SLi then you still get blazing high framerates :D :D ). But, at the same time- as stated, this is a NEW product, and it is probably a driver issue, or some other minor issue. But considering all the new items that are having to be rendered (a dumpster blowing up into tiny shards requires more rendering power than to just render a whole stationary dumpster, a brick wall collapsing with each individual brick flying and crumbling as it hit the ground takes a lot more horsepower than a non-crumbling brick wall would, etc.) a mere 10-15 fps decrease is WELL worth the added realism. Also, these are the first line up of games.

Think back to SLi when nVidia first announced it, they claimed double performance but at first it was no where near double. And they were driver and stability issues. Given time, those issues were mostly corrected and now SLi isn't such a bad thing afterall... AGEIA is going through the same right now. Give it time to matur for crying out loud, and stop complaining about the loss of a mere 10 - 15 fps. Those with SLi are still enjoying the cream of the crop in terms of graphics, even with the PhysX chip.

Very spoiled...

jAkUp
04-30-06, 12:12 PM
First of all, I'm mighty disappointed not because of the decrease in framerates (what, were you actually expecting them to increase?) but because the price hovers close to that of a GT. Not very competitive considering SLi can accomplish decent physics while costing just a bit more (and if you don't enable accelerated physics on SLi then you still get blazing high framerates :D :D ).

Well, with SLI physics, you dedicate a single graphics card for physics! So, you might as well get the Ageia card + 7900GT if you are planning on running HavokFX in Physics SLI.

|MaguS|
04-30-06, 12:38 PM
Well, with SLI physics, you dedicate a single graphics card for physics! So, you might as well get the Ageia card + 7900GT if you are planning on running HavokFX in Physics SLI.

But then you lose the option to use SLi in games that dont support Ageia and in turn losing out totally. The best bet would be to go SLi and dedicate the second GPU to Physics and run single card (like you would with an Ageia) and then switch to SLi in games that do not support hardware Physics.

Or you can be jakUp and get all three (we all know he will)! :p

BioHazZarD
04-30-06, 01:02 PM
What the hell ? Whats the damn point spending money on a phys card to get lower fps ? I mean the guys results on the link on the first page is just crazy. If this is an indication of future games too then this will never sell big pay money to get lower fps ? bahahaha give me one free maybe ill use it otherwise they are gonna have to work alot more to even make me consider even buying one even.

|MaguS|
04-30-06, 01:07 PM
BioHazZarD, The lower FPS is due to having to draw more items on the screen. It would have been better and possibly an FPS increase if they used the card to aid in things that are already rendered, not throwing more things to render just to show it off...

I could see it improving performance in a game like Oblivion if used for the models and items that are already in the game and not draw even more items just because you have the Physics card.

jAkUp
04-30-06, 01:18 PM
Yea, the grenade definetely has more particle effects.. however, the explosion on the truck looks almost the same.

BioHazZarD
04-30-06, 02:55 PM
Oh well i thought that having a phys card it should taken off some load the cpu has to make.

Feels like do we really need stuff like this ? I mean sure some fps drop is acceptable but not that much as the guy showed, even on 800x600 massive fps difference.