PDA

View Full Version : Anything past v81.98 hardlocks my system.

JayRoe
04-28-06, 06:18 PM
Each time I start a D3D game, my pc freezes for a minute or so, after which it will reboot. If I go to the control panel --> administration --> log --> system, I often get this: The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

Here's what didn't work:
-Changing the ram (tried with three different blocks)
-Updating the chipset
-Updating the bios.
-Disabling ACPI in bios
-Installing the the following drivers; 82.12, 84.20, 84.20, 84.25, 84.43 and 84.56.
-Installing a clean copy of Windows XP /SP2 on another harddrive.

on my Asus A8N-E (nForce 4 Ultra) I have a 7800 GT from Point Of View, and on their downloads page they have version 84.21 and 81.98. 81.98 was the last working driver in my case, which leads me to believe that Point Of View is well aware of the problem.

Whenever my system freeze up I can see a service called wmiprvse.exe (info) in the taskmanager hog the system recourses (CPU 100%). If I go to services and turn it off another service will take it's place and hog my cpu.

I'll be very gracious if someone can help me out with this.