PDA

View Full Version : Gainward GeForce FX press release thoughts

Pages : [1] 2 3

Evildeus
01-30-03, 09:51 AM
Seems like Gainward doesn't want the FX Flow and is listenning to people :) If it's really 7DB it's great news!!

All of Gainward’s FX PowerPack! products feature a radical new design of cooling system delivering maximum performance and incredibly low noise levels. Owing to Gainward’s advanced R&D skills the maximum noise is reduced to only 7db, the same as a human heartbeat. Competetive products maximum noise levels can be rated as high as 70db the same level as a domestic vacuum cleaner.
http://www.gainward.de/gwnewsite/gweurope/gwcontent/gwgcnepress/03_01_E_GF_FX_5800.htm

saturnotaku
01-30-03, 10:00 AM
That's terrific if this is true. Wish they had a picture of it, though.

Harnagel
01-30-03, 10:16 AM
That sounds good, until you get to the part where they include a firewire and 5.1 audio solution too? Come on, most everyone considering this card already has those, why increase cost?

Smokey
01-30-03, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Harnagel
That sounds good, until you get to the part where they include a firewire and 5.1 audio solution too? Come on, most everyone considering this card already has those, why increase cost?

The cost really isnt that much with the extra things, Ive seen a GF-FX Ultra in France listed for €599 incl. UT2003 + SplinerCell. With that Gainward they also say games to be included. If people dont want the firewire card and the sound card, they can always sell them on Ebay ;)

Hyper_Snyper
01-30-03, 10:48 AM
sounds good but what do they plan to replace FXFlow with?
if NV put that powerful of a fan on it, the card must have some sort of overheating problems.

The Baron
01-30-03, 10:53 AM
Three words:

Big ****in' Heatsink. :p

Maybe it's an improved FXFlow that covers both sides of the card completely but is also slightly larger than FXFlow (e.g., takes up space on the other side as well). That way, it would reduce temps from all of the card (not just the core) and the fans could run at a lower RPM....

I dunno, I'm pulling crap out of my ass again. :p

kyleb
01-30-03, 11:11 AM
thats odd, i though nvidia was specificly building all the cards to assure quality or whatever, i figured this would hold true for the cooling solution aswell. also it seems that if a silent geforce fx could have been done, or even a resonably quiet one, nvidia would have done it themselfs. i wonder how far of silent geforcefx cards realy are.

saturnotaku
01-30-03, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
I dunno, I'm pulling crap out of my ass again.

LMAO. Don't we all pull crap out of our ass at some point every day? :p

Uttar
01-30-03, 11:20 AM
I'd guess 7db, when in GFFX 5800 Regular 2D mode ( which is probably lower than 300/300, maybe 250/250 )

That's obviously marketing, so in real-world 500/500 situations, it might be a lot more than that, a least 35db. But still, I'd guess that's still VERY impressive.

I wonder how they managed to do it... Water cooling, maybe? Hexus said they were in contact with partners which said they were going to do water cooling for their GFFX...

Uttar

volt
01-30-03, 11:23 AM
Com-petetive products maximum noise levels can be rated as high as 70db the same level as a domestic vacuum cleaner.

70db can't be in 2D mode, unless they are implying something else.

Maybe they meant the minimum noise level will be 7db at 2D mode heh

Uttar
01-30-03, 11:24 AM
Comparing best-case scenarios to worst-case ones is a marketing speciality :D

Uttar

ReDeeMeR
01-30-03, 11:26 AM
Water cooled? the thing is gonna be so big damn...

StealthHawk
01-30-03, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by kyleb
thats odd, i though nvidia was specificly building all the cards to assure quality or whatever, i figured this would hold true for the cooling solution aswell. also it seems that if a silent geforce fx could have been done, or even a resonably quiet one, nvidia would have done it themselfs. i wonder how far of silent geforcefx cards realy are.

only ATM.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6569

Malameel
01-30-03, 11:52 AM
Gainward has always had a good product with great IQ. I am about to biuld a new system, and this is the news I have been waiting for to grace my new rig.

Also, the press release does speak of the noise: "Yes, max 7db"

at the bottom:
http://www.gainward.de/gwnewsite/gweurope/gwcontent/gwgcnepress/03_01_E_GF_FX_5800.htm

UDawg
01-30-03, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku

I push it out as it tends to make less of a mess but hey, to each his own. ;) :D

The Baron
01-30-03, 12:02 PM

In a word:

Flu. :p

Blasted flu, but at least I'm home..

saturnotaku
01-30-03, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by UDawg71
I push it out as it tends to make less of a mess but hey, to each his own.

So do I, but Baron, whatever works for 'ya. Just make sure you wash your hands when you're done. LOL. :angel:

cavalier
01-30-03, 12:50 PM
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
LMAO. Don't we all pull crap out of our ass at some point every day?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

That would be what you call the EF Flow
(as in efluence flow)

Noise levels of that vary by individual and depending on what was consumed hours earlier.

I know at times (especially after a chili dog) I've hit the 70 db mark!

Switch
01-30-03, 01:08 PM
mmmmmmmmmmm chili.... :angel3:

wb22gprix
01-30-03, 01:33 PM
I posted this on Madonion a little bit earlier, but maybe they're using a cooler similar to this, which is present on the Sapphire Radeon 9700 Pro Ultimate:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/media/9700pro/blackchrome.jpg

ZenmasteR
01-30-03, 02:14 PM
stick a noise control 80mm fan and i think it would be fine

heck it could be quieter than a gf4

fantomas
01-30-03, 02:23 PM
wb22gprix - what the hell is on that card? A heatsink? are these better than fans? I think its google time :)

volt
01-30-03, 02:24 PM
it's a good solution :)

wb22gprix
01-30-03, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by fantomas
wb22gprix - what the hell is on that card? A heatsink? are these better than fans? I think its google time :)

It's a heatpipe, you can read a review of what I would suppose to be a similar heatpipe here:

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1323&page=2

I don't know that a Zalman like that would suffice for cooling a GeForce FX, but maybe Gainward has developed some sort of better performing derivative.

gokickrocks
01-30-03, 03:42 PM
it would be nice if gainward played around with sound cancellation by outputting the opposite wave...but then i doubt it