PDA

View Full Version : Coollaboratory Liquid PRO Thermal Interface Material on 7800/7900 GTX?

Pages : [1] 2

Digital_Trans
04-29-06, 03:34 AM
What does everyone think of Coollaboratory Liquid PRO Thermal Interface Material on a 7800/7900 GTX?

Specs:

Cool Laboratory Liquid PRO consists of 100% liquid metal - the metal remains liquid at ambient temperature. The Liquid PRO paste has a heat transfer rate over eight times that of conventional thermal compounds!
Liquid PRO does not contain any non-metallic additives such as silicone. Due to this composition it out performs the best thermal compounds on the market by a factor 10.

The liquid metal behaves similar to mercury. Application of the thermal compound should be done with a small, lint-free brush to distribute the compound evenly across processor or heat sink. After installation the the Liquid PRO will mature in 48 hours. It solidifies at that time and achieves its optimal cooling performance.

When applying Liquid Metal, a little more care is necessary compared to the application of conventional pastes. If you are inexperienced in dealing with computer hardware you may wish to pick another paste that has less performance and less potential risks. (Liquid PRO is electrically conductive)

Amount: 0.15ml

Heat Conductivity Value:
(Higher is Better)Coollaboratory Liquid PRO: 82
Heat conducting paste high-quality: 6 - 9
Heat conducting paste normal: 0.5 - 2
Heat conducting glue: 0.8 - 1.1
Air: 0.026

NOTE:

Coollaboratory Liquid PRO was designed for use with high quality coolers made of copper or silver. Aluminum coolers are unsuitable for use with Liquid PRO.

DO NOT USE ALUMINUM COOLERS or allow Liquid Pro to come in contact with any aluminum surfaces. Aluminum is not resistant against Liquid Pro and will result in damages to any aluminum surface.

Like all metals, Liquid Pro may act as an electrical conductor. This forms no problem if applied according to the directions provided, as your cooler is a conductive metal as well. Make sure Liquid PRO does not touch any electric components. This could lead to short circuit when power is on. If you spill some of the Liquid Pro, wipe it away thoroughly before turning your PC on. Larger quantities can be sucked away with the syringe, or use a paper towel for smaller amounts.

NOTE: If you manage to inject yourself or a friend with the Liquid PRO, we will be quite happy to submit a description of the event to the Darwin Awards as the Liquid PRO is highly toxic. :D

FraGTastiK
04-29-06, 05:32 AM
Nice, I guess jAkUp has posted about this before but still news to many. Seems hard to apply though.

I wonder if anyone has used this thing and is willing to add some first hand user comments.

MUYA
04-29-06, 05:41 AM
sounds great aren't most stick coolers aluminium? This is definately intended to be used with after market cooling solutions methinks.

FraGTastiK
04-29-06, 07:45 AM
sounds great aren't most stick coolers aluminium? This is definately intended to be used with after market cooling solutions methinks.

Most of the old ones yes but as of late most of the high-end non OCed parts stock coolings use Alu heatsinks with a copper base that sits on the chip. I can think of AMD FX/X2 HSF and 7900GTX/X1900(and maybeX1800). Also some of the factory OCed VGAs like EVGA CO models and some Gainward GLH/Bliss models use copper base.

On a side note I just checked the stock cooler that came with my X2. It looks pretty neat and should perform good aswell. Although I never installed it. AMD did a good job with X2 HFS imo.

MUYA
04-29-06, 07:57 AM
Geg,,,I was on about Vid card coolers like my GTX. I agree with you about X2 HSF from AMD, my 4400+ came with copper hs with heat pipes...currently cooling my brother's FX 53 (formerly mine) well!

FraGTastiK
04-29-06, 08:23 AM
heh,,,I was on about Vid card coolers like my GTX. I agree with you about X2 HSF from AMD, my 4400+ came with copper hs with heat pipes...currently cooling my brother's FX 53 (formerly mine) well!

I see...

jAkUp
04-29-06, 11:03 PM
Yup, that stuff destroyed my Zalman aluminum heatsink as well. I put it on as a test and it totally melted my heatsink. Amazing. lol :D

Mi8ne looks identical to those pics now.

Digital_Trans
04-30-06, 12:18 AM
Would it melt and distroy the following Koolance blocks?

1.) VID-200-L06 (Vid) The VID-200-L06 combines a gold-plated high density solid copper chipset cooler, and anodized aluminum memory cooler.

2.) CPU-305-V10 (CPU) Materials: High Density Copper, 21k Gold Plating, Engineering Resin

I wouldn't think so, but then again you never know. That's Why I Like To Get "Down To The Nitty Gritty" of this. I don't want to make a big mistake and distroy any of my high-end computer hardware.

Digital_Trans
05-20-06, 04:18 PM
I think it's safe to say that putting Coollaboratory Liquid PRO Thermal Interface Material on my CPU is okay since my Koolance cpu block isn't made aluminum but that of High Density Copper, 21k Gold Plating, Engineering Resin. The only thing I'm concerned about is my Asus motherboard's CPU plate that holds the cpu down. It's made of metal or aluminum.

Digital_Trans
05-20-06, 11:01 PM
So no final comments on my request? Come on guys reply..... :(

keith33
05-20-06, 11:48 PM
So no final comments on my request? Come on guys reply..... :(

I haven't used the stuff personally, but after all this, why not just keep it safe and use some AS5? You're risking a lot of damage for a 3 degree lowering of temps, not worth it.

Digital_Trans
05-20-06, 11:54 PM
I haven't used the stuff personally, but after all this, why not just keep it safe and use some AS5? You're risking a lot of damage for a 3 degree lowering of temps, not worth it.

Okay, I'm throwing the Coollaboratory Liquid PRO right in the trash. :thumbdwn:

keith33
05-21-06, 12:00 AM
Okay, I'm throwing the Coollaboratory Liquid PRO right in the trash. :thumbdwn:

Wholeheartedly agree on your decision, I wouldn't risk frying my hard earned hardware for an incremental thermal efficiency benefit. It looks like pretty cool stuff, but if it owns aluminum like that in a few seconds, Coollaboratory better go back to the labs.

jAkUp
05-21-06, 12:04 AM
Yea, its really not worth the risk. It is also very hard to apply. Definetely not worth it for 3c. Those pictures are so funny because my Zalman cooler now looks identical... it was kinda fun to watch the Zalman actually boiling, but not if you got a nice waterblock.

Not to mention my Zalman cooler is useless now since it does not sit flat. meh.

Funny it didn't damage the top of the CPU at all. Isn't the heatspreader on a CPU aluminum?

Richteralan
05-21-06, 12:19 AM
Yea, its really not worth the risk. It is also very hard to apply. Definetely not worth it for 3c. Those pictures are so funny because my Zalman cooler now looks identical... it was kinda fun to watch the Zalman actually boiling, but not if you got a nice waterblock.

Funny it didn't damage the top of the CPU at all. Isn't the heatspreader on a CPU aluminum?

the Athlon 64 IHS is nickel plated copper

Digital_Trans
05-21-06, 01:19 AM

No, my cpu block is made by Koolance model: CPU-305-V10 url: http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/29_44/products_id/210
It's made of high density copper, 21k gold plating, engineering resin. So I was thinking....what's the risk factor? If I don't have any percent % of the cpu block made of aluminum you would begin to think that it's okay to apply it... but if you think I'd be better without it then I'm with you on that note.

MadKent
05-21-06, 06:25 PM
scary...

http://frostytech.com/permalink.cfm?NewsID=46586

Well he's lucky his Zalman wasn't the AlCu variety. The aluminum he melted is not part of the heat conducting assembly so I guess he can still use it... unless he melted the bolts as well lol

verncat
05-21-06, 06:36 PM
I used it on my FX-60 and Swiftech Storm waterblock. This stuff works very very well. It dropped my idle and load temps about 5-6 degrees c. It really is not as hard to apply as everyone makes it seem. I also used it on my second rig, X2 4800+ and K8 Silent Boost, no problems there either.

Shawn

Digital_Trans
05-21-06, 07:31 PM
I used it on my FX-60 and Swiftech Storm waterblock. This stuff works very very well. It dropped my idle and load temps about 5-6 degrees c. It really is not as hard to apply as everyone makes it seem. I also used it on my second rig, X2 4800+ and K8 Silent Boost, no problems there either.

Shawn

Sounds like a winner to me! Besides, you have that Swiftech water block
and K8 Silent Boost heatsink which have no bi-product auminium in them. That's why you never incountered problems. As for jAkUp's Zelman heatsink, it must be made up of aluminium with a copper coating for looks. I could be wrong but think about this, it melted away so that would lead me to strongly believe that his heatsink had bi-product aluminium in it. Infact, that's the only way it would have melted.

MadKent
05-21-06, 07:49 PM
Sounds like a winner to me! Besides, you have that Swiftech water block
and K8 Silent Boost heatsink which have no bi-product auminium in them. That's why you never incountered problems. As for jAkUp's Zelman heatsink, it must be made up of aluminium with a copper coating for looks. I could be wrong but think about this, it melted away so that would lead me to strongly believe that his heatsink had bi-product aluminium in it. Infact, that's the only way it would have melted.

Zalmans come in two flavors, all-copper (heavy!) and copper-aluminum (much lighter). The one in the pictures is the all-copper variety, the whole heatsink including the base is pure copper but the mountings and braces are chromed aluminum alloy (probably nickel or zinc). On the pics the parts that have melted are not in contact with the CPU.

The Aluminum-Copper Zalmans have both copper and aluminum on the base so I guess using that liquid metal on one of those could be quite entertaining if you're into alchemy.

Digital_Trans
05-21-06, 09:08 PM
Zalmans come in two flavors, all-copper (heavy!) and copper-aluminum (much lighter). The one in the pictures is the all-copper variety, the whole heatsink including the base is pure copper but the mountings and braces are chromed aluminum alloy (probably nickel or zinc). On the pics the parts that have melted are not in contact with the CPU.

The Aluminum-Copper Zalmans have both copper and aluminum on the base so I guess using that liquid metal on one of those could be quite entertaining if you're into alchemy.

MadKent, Thank you for the update! One last question, My Koolance cpu is made of high density copper, 21k gold plating, engineering resin. model: CPU-305-V10 url: http://www.koolance.com/shop/product...roducts_id/210 Do you think I'd be at risk using Coollaboratory Liquid PRO Thermal Interface Material? Yes/No? Picture attachment!

Slammin
05-22-06, 11:53 AM
Since your block is not aluminum, I think you'd be OK. Don't you?

Digital_Trans
05-22-06, 01:07 PM

Yes, I do.... I'm going for it! I can't wait to see my temps drop. I'm watercooled now and my temps on my OC cpu are Idle 34c and full-load 41c.
I'll give you guys a status report soon on my new temps.

Digital_Trans
05-23-06, 03:10 AM

Okay, it's safe to say that putting Coollaboratory Liquid PRO Thermal Interface Material on my CPU is okay since my Koolance cpu block isn't made aluminum but that of High Density Copper, 21k Gold Plating, Engineering Resin. The only thing I'm concerned about is my Asus motherboard's CPU plate that holds the cpu down. It's made of metal or aluminum. What do you think? is it safe? :D ????????????

shabby
05-23-06, 05:39 PM
I seriously doubt that plate is made of aluminum, aluminum is soft and to use something that soft to hold down the cpu would be pretty stupid.
Aluminum isnt magnetic, if you have a lil magnet you can test it out... at your own risk :)