PDA

View Full Version : Recalls For 6800 7800 7900 Graphics Cards

The Bigman
04-29-06, 02:42 PM
I was reading and heard through a source that the series of Nvidia Cards are being recalled due to heat.

I want to know if this is true or just noise.

I have 2 7800 Gtx's and they run idle at 54 and 56 idle and from what i heard the heat issues are why these are being recalled.

I do get some occasional display bars but only in Farcry with HDR but i play Half Life 2 LC and that game has HDR and runs fine with AA.

I would like the members here at Nvnews to express there opinions of this so that we can get a clear understanding that this might just be noise from sources with a distorted view of things.

OWA
04-29-06, 03:07 PM
Heh, doesn't sound legit especially since they seem to run pretty cool, at least compared to X1800XT and X1900XTX I've used (am using).

MUYA
04-29-06, 09:51 PM
I was reading and heard through a source that the series of Nvidia Cards are being recalled due to heat.

I want to know if this is true or just noise.

I have 2 7800 Gtx's and they run idle at 54 and 56 idle and from what i heard the heat issues are why these are being recalled.

I do get some occasional display bars but only in Farcry with HDR but i play Half Life 2 LC and that game has HDR and runs fine with AA.

I would like the members here at Nvnews to express there opinions of this so that we can get a clear understanding that this might just be noise from sources with a distorted view of things.
There was a small recall. What it was that some factory overclocked 7900 cards were not working as advertised due to freezing etc because of exccesive clocks, these cards which were not working as advertised were the subject to an exchange program whereby these defective 7900 would be replaced by the manufacturer.

jAkUp
04-29-06, 10:02 PM
There were no recalls on the 6800 or 7800.. and the issues with the 7900's were not related to heat... however, they have been remedied as of now.

MUYA
04-29-06, 10:46 PM
There were no recalls on the 6800 or 7800.. and the issues with the 7900's were not related to heat... however, they have been remedied as of now.
yes the factory overclocked cards should be replaced by the manufacturer rigt? I think PC Perspective broke the story right?

Digital_Trans
04-29-06, 11:27 PM
Is there a recall on all BFG 7900 GTX OC? :(

SLippe
04-30-06, 12:20 AM
No.

MUYA
04-30-06, 12:24 AM
Ok its not really a recall, in light og what I posted before, it's a policy change of manufacturers that if their factory overclocked GTX 7900 cards were locking up etc and the root cause was found to be the Vertex shading units were clocked (50mhz was it?) higher than the reported core clock that were causing the problems. Manufacturers would/should replace those factory overclocked cards that were acting up. I do not know if all manufacturers were to honour this or not. NVIDIA has gone and worked with its partners that the overclocked cards would worked...factory overclocked with out issue.