PDA

View Full Version : How to play an RTS?

dwhjr77
04-30-06, 12:40 AM
I've attempted on numberous occasions with Starcraft, Warcraft 3, AoE2 but can't seem to play these games. I play for a couple of days for a few hours each and won't touch them for years.

Now I got a free copy of C&C:TFD and really want to learn this genre. Any tips/suggestions/hints/stategies on can try? Which of these games should I start with first?

Cptobvious
04-30-06, 12:57 AM
you just gotta multitask alot...some people just don't get how to play RTS games...

|MaguS|
04-30-06, 12:58 AM
It just looks like you don't enjoy the genre... It's not about style of play but just interest. My roommate HATES the genre no matter how much I show him great games.

dwhjr77
04-30-06, 01:02 AM
Well I like the genre, I mean the first couple of missions are cool and interesting, it's just I get my ass kicked to smithereens several levels in. I just can't move fast enough and keep up with all these damn units.

retsam
04-30-06, 01:09 AM
here is a tip....click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click
click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click

as fast as you can!! :lol:

SDinc
04-30-06, 01:45 AM
Use groups a lot when attacking. Put like units into a group and call them in with one command. Most RTS have a rock-paper-scissor type of gameplay. So you need to make groups according so you can easily counter things like artillery with mounted calvary and such. I realize there's no mounted calvary in C&C of course, but the same rules apply. (Just different units).

stncttr908
04-30-06, 02:54 AM
Groups when attacking, and put together a solid base-building strategy. Reading forums and whatnot as well as downloading replays can help you get better.

nutball
04-30-06, 08:21 AM
More often than not these games also entail some element of resources gathering / manufacturing. Learning how to resource gather efficiently is key, because if you can't you won't be able to construct units fast enough to compete with your opponent (AI or human player). Like real life the most powerful military machines are based on the most powerful economies / industrual bases.

Usually there are little tricks to making the most from your gatherers/constructors, and there is an optimum order in which to build your resource gathering units and factories in the early stages of the game. The last thing you want to do is run out of resources trying to build enough resource gathering units to feed your expansionist policies!

Sometimes it helps to be a master of one trade and not a jack of all of them, at least early in the game, ie. don't try to build all the factories to make all types of units right from the get go. Build one or two factories to make units of one or two types that'll give you sufficient defence whilst you build up your resource gathering capability. Once you've got your economy going you can focus more on building up your military. This steady approach can leave you open to early rush tactics, but that's just the way these games play out some times. If you're building a solid base and can survive the early rush, then your opponent will be at a disadvantage because she has expended all her effort in an early construction frenzy. Alternatively you could try rush tactics yourself if you find yourself losing to them too often!

Lastly, don't forget that in all RTS games the AI always "cheats" to some degree(*). Even the most sophisticated AI is too stupid to play the game like even a semi-competent player, so it is invariably given false advantages in order to make it sufficiently competitive to give the average player a meaningful game. Usually this is in the form of a larger stock-pile of resources at start-up, more efficient resource gathering or maybe lower cost of construction for units, and often it's given a "magic eye" and can see where you are and what you're doing. You shouldn't let this frustrate you -- turn down the difficulty until you get the hang of the economy (play in sand-box mode if you there is one until you work out your economic strategies I mentioned above). Even better try to find another human to play against who is roughly the same ability as yourself.

(*) Much noise is made by developers about how their AI doesn't cheat, because it's so good yada yada yada, and sadly many players are taken in by these statements. I've yet to play an RTS where the actual actions of the AI in reality bear out any of this PR spin.

jAkUp
04-30-06, 11:30 AM
Yea I'm not really into RTS's either. I just never found interest in games where you don't even have to aim to shoot. haha

I probably will try the new C&C game when it comes out, maybe the start of RTS games for me? Who knows...

tacos4me
04-30-06, 11:42 AM
Most RTS games you can turn the speed down, so it's not as crazy and hard to control. You could try that. :)

t6_shadow
04-30-06, 03:47 PM
If you plan on paying RTS online just learn to do the lamest gayest most annoying **** you can think of to the other player and you'll most likley win win.

SH64
04-30-06, 04:04 PM
If you dont have a "strategic" mind , you'll hardly get into RTS games ... its not impossible though. heres some tips i learned through time :
1) Dont stick with a single strategy .. try different ones!
2) Although what restam said was funny , its actually true! you have to be a fast clicker & quick thinker to manage the battlefield.
3) Build , gather resources , defend your base then attack.

Q
04-30-06, 04:04 PM
Suck at RTS?

Macros.

slick
04-30-06, 08:35 PM
Here's how I learned how to play RTS's.

Get Age of Empires 2.

Start a regicide or deathmatch.

Make 8 teams (yourself included)

Set the 7 NPC teams agains you.

Set them on "hard".

Try to survive.

I seriously did this once without realize it and I kept doing it over and over and over to try and live through it. I thought it was a FFA, but ALL of them kept attacking me. After MANY attempts (none successful), I almost got it to the point where I could keep myself alive. Needless to say, I figured out what needed to be done first, what needed to be built, how many soldiers needed making, what needed researching, etc etc. I then proceded to pwn noobies online.

dwhjr77
05-02-06, 04:58 PM
Getting close to loading up Generals since that's the most recent. Maybe I'll try RA at the same time as well to get a better feel for it. Damn studying and EQ2!

a12ctic
05-02-06, 05:09 PM
i love rts's to death, i remember back in the day when AOE2 came out, i wwas so awsome at death match cause i could CLICK CLICK CLICK faster than everybody :P

mike686
05-24-06, 12:27 AM
I think it's all about practice and experience. Obviously the game must hold your interest too.

Play some easy 1v1 skirmishes, then a bunch of medium, then a bunch of hard till you're winning every time. After that, play against 2 hard opponents.