PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of going SLi next month...should I??

Pages : [1] 2 3

Superfly
04-30-06, 08:29 AM
Would love some input from you guys, I NEED more GPU power for Oblivion, GRAW and most likely some other upcomming titles.

If I do this I would not be able to afford any more hardware this year so it does need to be the right thing to do.

at the moment im 60/40 against the idea due to cost/noise and of course DX10 parts are on the distance horizon.....

Your thoughts please.......

|MaguS|
04-30-06, 08:31 AM
DX10 is way off in the distance and well shouldn't even be considered right now...

As for noise and heat... when I went SLi, I didn't notice much of a change, but then again my PC was already as loud as an airport. Heat... never was an issue...

I would say go for it, totally worth it.

lee63
04-30-06, 08:52 AM
Stay away from the factory OCed 7900s :(

PeterJensen
04-30-06, 08:58 AM
Would love some input from you guys, I NEED more GPU power for Oblivion, GRAW and most likely some other upcomming titles.

If I do this I would not be able to afford any more hardware this year so it does need to be the right thing to do.

at the moment im 60/40 against the idea due to cost/noise and of course DX10 parts are on the distance horizon.....

Planning on getting a 7600GT more? :)

Superfly
04-30-06, 11:00 AM
Planning on getting a 7600GT more? :)

yeh - do you know if 2x ZALMAn FV900's would fit in an SLi config??

I cant find any pics......

ta.

OWA
04-30-06, 11:18 AM
I think you should although it does sometimes require a bit of experimentation when you get a game that doesn't have a built-in profile.

When I went with SLI with the regular 7800 GTX 256s, it was really quiet. Never heard them at all. With the 7800 GTX 512s, when things heat up and they ramp up, I can sometimes hear them. My systems are really quiet though. I've been thinking about trying something like this:

http://www.nvnews.net/articles/accelero_x1/index.shtml

in both of my systems. It apparently does work with SLI.

sandeep
04-30-06, 12:59 PM

I think you should wait. Think of next generation cards(nana2) Wait and save more. Even with SLI, this generation struggles at 1600*1200 and above.

|MaguS|
04-30-06, 01:05 PM
I think you should wait. Think of next generation cards(nana2) Wait and save more. Even with SLI, this generation struggles at 1600*1200 and above.

It does? Don't think theres a game out there that im "struggling" with at 1600x1200. Sure its not running at top FPS but its far from "struggling".

The next generation of cards are far off, I dout we will see them this fall and if we do it wont matter much since Vista is delayed till next year. I would get another 7600GT now, its not much and will allow you to wait comfortably for the next great cards.

PeterJensen
04-30-06, 01:21 PM

ta.

They should fit just fine :) I say go for it. (nana2)

SnilloC
04-30-06, 01:22 PM
I was in the same boat superfly. But I decided not to wait for next gen. #1 They won't be ready for a while. #2 It will be first generation of their kind so you'll be purchasing test puppies.Wait and get second or third gen. #3 DirectX10 far away... Maybe I'm wrong but if you want some new stuff and you got the money why wait... You can do it!!! Go by the card or cards and you'll be happy... I'm glad I got my 7900! I know sixth months to a yr. from now I'll be buying the proven ground products rather than the brand new spankin hardware that will be out done by it's second and third gen. brothers.

Superfly
04-30-06, 02:02 PM
Can I ask the likes of OWA & Magus some SLi noob questions:

1: Clock rates?? - what happens if both cards have different bios's and default clock speeds??

2: PSU - I have a Hyper 480w PSU - not SLi certified BUT the 7600GT's dont require a power connector so I might be OK??

3: How easy is it to set up - I mean are there any noob things to watch that cause boot problems for instance?

4: thanks for the help guys.

5: forgot to ask - what sort of performance do you think 2x7600GT's would give?? - total of 24pipes @ 590mhz/1700 mem........

|MaguS|
04-30-06, 02:12 PM

1: Clock rates?? - what happens if both cards have different bios's and default clock speeds??
The faster card would lower to match the faster card. Different bios do not matter anymore with the 80 series drivers.

2: PSU - I have a Hyper 480w PSU - not SLi certified BUT the 7600GT's dont require a power connector so I might be OK??
I have no this, They technically should work find as long as your PSU is stable under load. From my knowledge the 7600 series are low power consumers.

3: How easy is it to set up - I mean are there any noob things to watch that cause boot problems for instance?
Theres nothing that can cause Boot Issues but to enable SLi you need to make sure you change the PCIe Speeds to 8x and then just enable SLi in the control panel.

Go to heck...

5: forgot to ask - what sort of performance do you think 2x7600GT's would give?? - total of 24pipes @ 590mhz/1700 mem........
Should give some nice performance, I would think you should get atleast a 25% boost from what your getting now.

No you may not ask me anything... Im too busy eating my lunch.

(had to write something under the quote...)

Superfly
04-30-06, 02:19 PM
No you may not ask me anything... Im too busy eating my lunch.

(had to write something under the quote...)

thanks - enjoy your lunch!!

(im waiting for dinner myself!)

|MaguS|
04-30-06, 02:20 PM
thanks - enjoy your lunch!!

(im waiting for dinner myself!)

mmm I could use some Dinner aswell. :o

einstein_314
04-30-06, 02:24 PM

1. The bios differences to not matter, since the 80 series drivers. As for clock speed, the faster one would be dropped down to the slower one.

2. That PSU should be fine. I'm using a 520W with my SLI'd 7800GTX's and it's fine. 7600GT's draw way less power.

3. It's really easy to set up. Just have to switch your mobo into SLI mode (with either the jumpers on the board or in the bios), put in the second card, attach bridge, attach power, turn on, enable SLI in Control Panel. Oh yeah, and I just remembered, you will have to reinstall the nvidia drivers because when you install them, it checks to see whether you have SLI or not and installs the correct stuff for it.

4. No problemo

5. Not sure on the performance. I would estimate a 50% increase from what you have now. I'd say that's about what my increase is on average. At times it's worse, and depending on the game too. At times even a 75% increase.

FraGTastiK
04-30-06, 02:25 PM

ta.

Avoid SLI boards with close PCIe slots. That would save you a lot of trouble if you ever going to use aftermarket coolers. Most of the new SLI boards have wide spaced PCIe slots. VF700 SLI with boards like DFI SLI-DR was a no-no. VF900 has imroved in every aspect one of wich is its lower profile compared to VF700. So I cannot see why VF900 shouldnt be able to cool two cards if its used in a mobo with wide PCIe layout especially if the cards are 2x7600 wich natuarlly wont produce too much heat .

Also imo try SLI mainboards that are known to work reliably and many people own them so that you wont bump into strange problems that no one can help you with your XYZ brand SLI mobo , go with the tried and true.

Oh and about the main question... I think its a safe upgrade, because of the fact that you wont have to spend a huge amount adding another 7600 but the added performance will be nice imo.

Superfly
04-30-06, 02:26 PM
OK - you guys put the devil in me thats for sure - I just ordered another GT, got the Leadtek @ 590/1600 next day shipping.

Monday is a holiday in the Uk so the card wnt be with me until Wednesday.....

cant wait though.

Superfly
04-30-06, 02:29 PM
Avoid SLI boards with close PCIe slots. That would save you a lot of trouble if you ever going to use aftermarket coolers. Most of the new SLI boards have wide spaced PCIe slots. VF700 SLI with boards like DFI SLI-DR was a no-no. VF900 has imroved in every aspect one of wich is its lower profile compared to VF700. So I cannot see why VF900 shouldnt be able to cool two cards if its used in a mobo with wide PCIe layout especially if the cards are 2x7600 wich natuarlly wont produce too much heat .

Also imo try SLI mainboards that are known to work reliably and many people own them so that you wont bump into strange problems that no one can help you with your XYZ brand SLI mobo , go with the tried and true.

Oh and about the main question... I think its a safe upgrade, because of the fact that you wont have to spend a huge amount adding another 7600 but the added performance will be nice imo.

Thanks, all good advice.

I already have the SLi MoBo so I just needed the second card. no idea how good the MoBo is in SLi, I think Superklye has one though so he might be able to help.

|MaguS|
04-30-06, 02:33 PM
OK - you guys put the devil in me thats for sure - I just ordered another GT, got the Leadtek @ 590/1600 next day shipping.

Monday is a holiday in the Uk so the card wnt be with me until Wednesday.....

cant wait though.

Congrats! You will not be disappointed... unless you play DDO... then its really disappointing. :(

FraGTastiK
04-30-06, 02:45 PM
Thanks, all good advice.

I already have the SLi MoBo so I just needed the second card. no idea how good the MoBo is in SLi, I think Superklye has one though so he might be able to help.

Youre welcome. Oh I'm blind didnt see your sig. :o Thats a popular model should do fine.

OWA
04-30-06, 02:59 PM
Ack, I'm late with a response so....what they said. :)

Superfly
04-30-06, 04:26 PM
mixed vendor SLi is OK now yes??

OWA
04-30-06, 05:51 PM
Yeah, it's supposed to be. I've never tried it but a few here have and it worked for them.

PeterJensen
05-01-06, 12:25 AM
mixed vendor SLi is OK now yes??

I have a mate that have 1 x 7800GTX fron BGF and one from Leadtek. NP there. :o

Superfly
05-01-06, 06:39 AM
Order has shipped!!!!!! - Not sure how they managed that on a public holiday but who am I to complain!!!

might be up and running tommorrow......